The bandage, which is prescribed for hernia, is a wide belt, equipped with a limiter. This element is located on the site of the abdominal cavity, where the protrusion of tissues. The device is used for the prevention and treatment of hernial education. It may be recommended by the attending physician. Often the hernia in infants passes independently upon reaching a certain age. Only sometimes the use of aids is required.
The bandage, which is prescribed for hernia, is a wide belt, equipped with a limiter.
Why do you need a bandage?
Hernia is manifested by protrusion of a section of tissue on the skin of the abdomen, which is considered to be a consequence of the displacement of internal organs towards the abdominal ring muscle that surrounds the navel. The reasons include the low tone of soft tissue. In addition, pathology often develops as a result of an underdevelopment of the umbilical ring. The main factors contributing to the formation of a hernia are: regular strong baby crying, constipation, intense cough, flatulence. Often leads to the consequences of the mistake when tying the umbilical cord.
To create opposition to the displacement of internal organs, use a children's bandage from the umbilical hernia. Other properties of this device:
- it contributes to the proper formation of the walls of the abdominal cavity, muscles,
- exerts a sufficient level of pressure on the protrusion,
- promotes faster closure of the umbilical ring,
- prevents the possibility of infringement of tissues and organs in the affected area.
The main factors contributing to the formation of a hernia are regular strong baby crying.
Constipation and flatulence lead to the emergence of an umbilical hernia in an infant.
Hernia is manifested by protrusion of a section of tissue on the skin of the abdomen, which is considered to be a consequence of the displacement of internal organs towards the abdominal ring muscle that surrounds the navel.
All positive qualities are neutralized by the wrong choice of device. In addition, the use of an unsuitable belt is the reason for the omission of time that could have been spent on the use of effective means of treating an umbilical hernia. In the absence of contraindications, the product can be used for the prevention of hernial formation.
You can buy it at your own discretion. This is due to the fact that during application in the absence of pronounced signs of protrusion no side effects are observed. According to the principle of impact on the fabric, the belt can be compared with the diaper fastening system.
Before buying a bandage, you should consider a number of criteria:
- The product must be made of hypoallergenic materials.
- The bandage is selected according to the volume of the baby’s belly. If you use a device smaller / larger, the effect of its application will not.
- In order not to appear on the body of diaper rash, it is recommended to purchase a product that passes air.
- The fabric of the bandage should be elastic.
- The product must be periodically washed. Hence, the material from which it is made should be notable for ease of maintenance.
The bandage is selected according to the volume of the baby’s belly. If you use a device smaller / larger, the effect of its application will not.
Pay attention to the principle of fastening the product. There are 2 types of anti-retinal devices for newborns:
The first of the options is more preferable, since it lets air through, it can be used many times. Such products are found in two versions: adjustable, unregulated. The first of the options can be used at different ages of the child. Products may have a small or substantial width. Different types of fasteners. When selecting, consider the size of the limiter. The key criterion in this case is the diameter of the umbilical ring.
The patch is a strip that is fixed in the navel by means of an adhesive. This tool is intended for single use. After use, it is replaced by another, which is not always convenient. The disadvantage of these products is considered to be high density - they do not let air through. In addition, the patch often causes irritation, which is especially evident when trying to remove it from the skin.
Advantages and disadvantages
Each of the types of umbilical hernia bandages for newborns has its advantages and disadvantages. Positive qualities of the product in the form of a belt:
The disadvantages of umbilical hernia bandages include the high price.
- reduces abdominal pressure,
- interferes with the formation and development of hernia,
- can be used for hernial protrusions of different sizes (up to 5 cm),
- ease of care
- long period of operation (several years).
The disadvantages include the high price. In addition, these products are not always firmly held on the stomach, they can slip. The degree of reliability of fixing the belt is determined by the mobility of the child. The presence of a bandage can cause discomfort, due to the significant width and thickness. In some children, such products provoke the appearance of irritation due to friction.
The plaster differs in reasonable price and simplicity of operation. However, these products provoke the appearance of pain when trying to remove them. On the skin may remain traces of adhesive. In addition, the products of this type are designed to fix the hernial protrusions of a small size.
How to wear?
Baby should wear a bandage only on dry skin. You should first make sure that the integuments are not damaged (no irritation, diaper rash). Wear a bandage is necessary on clean skin. Instruction:
Baby should wear a bandage only on dry and clean skin.
- Fix the product on a flat, moderately hard surface. A changing table is used for this purpose.
- First you need to expand the belt.
- A child should be placed on top of it. The baby must lie on its back.
- Before you fasten the bandage, you should straighten the hernial protrusion.
- A limiter is applied to the umbilical ring.
- Button bandage without pinching the belly. The product should fit snugly to the outer covers.
The recommended belt wearing time is no longer than 3 hours. Then they take it off, take a break for half an hour and put it on again. If you plan to use a plaster, the same instructions are used as a basis, however, after the hernia has been repositioned, the product is glued on top.
The bandage is not recommended for use in some cases, among them:
- the presence of a rash, irritation or diaper rash on the skin in the area where the product will be installed,
- allergic to materials
- pinching of the hernia, which is rare in infants,
- the period when the umbilical wound has not yet healed, the crust has not disappeared.
If such products are used, especially a plaster on damaged external covers, a wound may open after removal. In addition, under the layer of dense tissue ventilation of the external integument is deteriorating, which prevents the healing of deformed skin.
Larisa, 33 years old, Perm
A child at 3 months was diagnosed with a navel hernia. It was small - 8 mm, but to improve the condition the doctor still appointed a bandage. At first used a plaster. I did not notice any improvements, I had to switch to a bandage in the form of a belt. Its price is much higher, but hernial formation has ceased to develop. Now (after 5 months), it is almost invisible. I just did not like the fact that the bandage had to be constantly corrected.
Olga, 28 years old, Orel
When the child was 1 year old, I found a small bump on the navel. Previously, he was not there, so immediately went to the doctor. Diagnosed umbilical hernia, appointed a bandage. We started to wear a belt, because education was already quite large. I liked the result - the hernia gradually began to pass. A child in a year is difficult to explain, why use such a device, the daughter tried to remove it all the time, so you had to constantly carry it on your arms while wearing a bandage.
Evgenia, 30 years old, Moscow
Used a plaster for hernia in an infant. The doctor warned that such formations often pass themselves, but we still used this device a little for prevention. We started when the child was 3 months old, the chair gradually improved, the son began to cry less, and the protrusion disappeared.
The belt from the umbilical hernia for newborns is made of a plate sewn into the fabric and several fastenings that are needed to be fixed on the body of the baby. They are made in the form of conventional straps, rivets or fasteners. The main element of the belt is a plate that has a compression effect on the hernia.
To create a treatment belt for babies, hypoallergenic fabric materials are used. They prevent the occurrence of diaper rash, provide normal air circulation and absorb moisture well. Also, if the baby will wear a corset regularly, he will not have a wood louse.
The treatment belt for hernia is characterized by a long service life, which is 3 years. During this time, the bandage should be washed regularly.
Advantages and disadvantages
Before using the umbilical hernia bandage for newborns, you should be familiar with its positive and negative sides. Among the advantages of devices for colic emit:
- the possibility of using the belt for the prevention of hernia,
- ease of use
- the possibility of repeated washing
- no irritants that can cause an allergic reaction,
- high efficiency,
- the use of hypoallergenic materials in the manufacture of bandage.
The belt has disadvantages, but they are much smaller than the advantages. The main disadvantages of the belt include:
- high cost
- temporary discomfort when using a bandage,
- irritation and redness of the skin field of strong friction of the belt.
In order not to encounter such disadvantages, it is necessary to choose the right belt for treating the umbilical cord. To do this, contact your doctor, who will advise a suitable belt, so that it does not rub or crawl during use.
When choosing a bandage for umbilical hernia of newborns, certain difficulties may arise, due to which it is not always possible to buy a quality belt. To buy a suitable bandage for your child, you need to familiarize yourself with the recommendations for choosing. The following rules will help you make the right choice:
- The width and length of the belt should ideally fit the size of the baby.
- In the products must be ribs. They do not allow the material to roll when the child moves.
- You should buy a belt made of absorbent and air-tight fabric that absorbs moisture well. This prevents the development of diaper rash on the skin.
- When choosing a bandage for children older than six years, you need to pay attention to small models that will not be noticeable under the clothes.
- The seams on the inside are made neatly and do not protrude. This will prevent severe rubbing of the skin when using a hernia strap.
- When visually inspecting the product, it is necessary to unfasten it and fasten it several times to make sure that the seams are secure.
Also, buying a belt for a newborn baby, pay attention to the type of attachment. For babies fit models with velcro, which allow a person to independently adjust the size of the bandage.
Use a device for the treatment of protrusion near the navel will be able to all parents. However, before that you will have to familiarize yourself with the recommendations for its use. First, the child is washed with warm water and wiped dry with a towel, as the bandage is put on clean and perfectly dry skin.
When the child is ready to put on the device, the bandage is placed on any hard surface. From above the baby is laid with the navel down and wrapped with a bandage. Before fixing the belt with velcro, the bulge is carefully set by hand so that it does not accidentally damage it. After fastening, the belt should fit snugly to the surface of the abdomen, but not tighten it. Due to the contraction of the baby, his stomach will ache and he will be uncomfortable while wearing a bandage.
The belt is worn by the child every 2–3 hours until the hernia disappears. If the bulge does not pass, you will have to consult a doctor for consultation. Some experts instead of bandages prescribe children patches, which are more effective than belts.