It is unlikely that there will be people who disagree with the fact that neck exercises help keep your back healthy to a great extent. After all, a spinal illness can cause ailments that are much more serious than discomfort while moving. Visual impairment, dizziness and regular headaches, as well as chest pains and numbness of the extremities - these are just an incomplete list of symptoms that more and more people complain about every year.
At the same time, spinal osteochondrosis, protrusion and herniation of intervertebral discs in recent years have significantly "become younger". If the previously mentioned diseases were more characteristic of elderly people, today the hypodynamic lifestyle of most people and office work, when the body is in the same position for a long time only contributes to the progression of diseases of the spine, especially its upper sections.
On the cervical spine load always occurs. It is more susceptible to pathological changes due to the fact that it is in tension almost constantly, and the vertebrae here are the thinnest and the thickness of the intervertebral disks is the smallest. At the same time, large blood vessels feed the brain. If the legs or hands can be given a break, the neck should keep the head constantly and the spine can rest only at night and provided it has a properly selected pillow for sleeping.
On the occurrence of pathologies in the cervical spine "herald" crunching in the neck, tinnitus, pressure spikes and often aching muscles of the shoulder girdle.
Gymnastics for cervical diseases
Good results in combating the development of diseases of the cervical spine are given by special gymnastics for the neck, therapeutic physical training, as well as massage of the neck and neck area.
Today known for various exercises for the neck. However, most of them are aimed at achieving the following results:
- Restoration of vertebral mobility relative to its own axis,
- Gymnastics for the cervical spine is conducive to strengthening the muscles of the neck and bring it to tone. Systematic charging for the cervical vertebrae favors the return of elasticity to the muscles bound by constant overstress due to inflammation.
- Restoration of normal blood supply to the tissues with the subsequent elimination of compression of the neurovascular bundles,
- Activation of metabolic processes in tissues. In the first place in this situation is the level of glucose metabolism, which provides nutrition to the tissues of intervertebral discs.
- Activation of the release of endorphins by the body - the hormones of "pleasure", which additionally helps from neck pain and increases tone,
- Overvoltage Removal.
Gymnastics for the neck has long been successfully prescribed for the treatment of diseases of the cervical spine and for their prevention. Nevertheless, it is up to the specialist to assign a set of exercises for warming up the neck for each specific case of pathology and based on the results of a thorough examination of the patient. When selecting exercises, the degree of “neglect” of the disease is necessarily taken into account, and the patient should firstly perform gymnastics under the supervision of an exercise therapy specialist who can control the correctness of the exercises, since this is the only way to guarantee the effectiveness of treatment.
When the patient has mastered the technique of performing the movements, he can continue classes at home. Regardless of the focus of the complex, there are a number of recommendations applicable to all exercises:
- Exercise on the neck is permissible only when the inflammation and the pain syndrome characteristic of it are removed, and the disease itself has entered a remission stage. It is important to understand the patients themselves, because excessive zeal in the desire to quickly recover and exercise for the cervical spine, without waiting for remission, can only aggravate the process and further complicate the course of the disease:
- Gymnastics performance should be carried out regularly according to the principle “from simple to complex”. Over time, the number of approaches for each exercise, and hence the load will increase.
- Doing the exercises correctly does not mean pain. On the contrary, pain should be avoided. If physical therapy sessions are accompanied by pain all the time, it is necessary to urgently consult with your doctor. You may have to abandon some exercises or replace them with other, more gentle ones. And perhaps it will turn out that the illness has re-entered the “acute” phase, and it will be necessary to delay the treatment of neck exercises.
- Gymnastics for the neck is always performed smoothly, since sharp bends or turns can additionally injure the vertebrae, cause overstretching of the muscles or even injury to the nerves and blood vessels,
- Correct posture while performing the prescribed exercise therapy complex for neck health helps to increase the effect of exercise,
- The rotation of the head and its dropping back are done very carefully. It is better to initially coordinate such exercises with specialists,
- First, the duration of classes should not exceed 10 minutes. Gradually, the load will increase to 30 minutes. In total, for a day, exercises for the cervical spine can be performed up to three times.
We will recommend you easy-to-perform and effective sets of exercises, which make it possible to increase the maneuverability of the vertebrae and the flexibility of the neck. The first set of exercises for the neck is good and convenient in that it can be easily done at home as well as without getting up from the workplace.
Performed standing or sitting on a chair. The arms are relaxed and hang down along the body. The head turns smoothly to the left, then also smoothly moves as much as possible to the right. When performing it is necessary to achieve the location of the nose and chin over the shoulder and fix it for 1-2 seconds.
If you do the exercise in this version is difficult, you should start with a lightweight version: instead of a slow, but “concrete” turn of the head in each direction, make several smooth turns with a small amplitude.
Doing exercises for the neck, focus on your own feelings. Remember: pain during exercise - this is not an assistant, you can not bring to it. If it occurs, you must immediately tell the instructor, under whose supervision you are doing exercises for the cervical vertebrae.
The starting position is the same. With your body hanging down along your body, try to move your head back, pulling in your chin. Regular execution allows you to compensate for the position in which the majority of office workers almost constantly reside when the neck “stretches” forward, forming over-expansion of the back muscles of the neck.
The second complex may be prescribed in cases of chronic diseases of the cervical spine. Exercises for the neck of this complex are designed to strengthen weakened muscles, as well as relieve pain and overstrain.
- The first exercise can be done while sitting, place the palms on the forehead and try to lower the head, overcoming their opposition. Exercise makes it possible to strengthen weakened muscles and develop "stagnant" vertebrae.
- The second exercise is performed almost the same as the first, only now it is necessary to alternately rest with palms on the temples, trying to tilt your head to the sides, while simultaneously creating with your hands opposition to the slopes.Performing favors the strengthening of the lateral muscles of the neck and makes it possible to partially relieve pain.
- The third exercise: sitting or standing, arms lowered, raise as high as possible and then lower shoulders.
- The fourth exercise is massaging on the back of the head of the junction zone of the occipital bone with the neck muscles.
- The fifth exercise is also a massage. Only this time it is necessary to massage the shoulder blades in the places of attachment of the neck muscles.
In the case of a cervical hernia, the entire neck charge may consist of just one exercise:
- Sitting exactly breathe deeply, slowly raising and throwing back his head, directing his gaze to the ceiling,
- Fix the position for 3-5 seconds, after which, also slowly, lower the head again.
- We advise you to read: Yoga for osteochondrosis of the cervical spine
In addition to the classical complexes of physical therapy for the neck, some experts may recommend asanas and yoga poses from the increasingly popular Eastern practices that have already established themselves as a kind of gymnastics for cervical osteochondrosis and other diseases. So, provided proper performance of yoga has no less therapeutic and preventive effect than the classic exercises for pain in the neck.
What are necessary exercises in violation of posture?
Is it possible to hang on the horizontal bar with scoliosis?
What exercises are used for pregnant women for the back?
It is unlikely that many people do such exercises specifically. People twirl their heads, they go down. Often they unconsciously make head tilts to the side when they sit in one place for a long time. These are reflex actions aimed at warming up the neck.
If you know which exercises will best help to stretch and strengthen the cervical region, it will be easier for us at such moments to understand what to do. And we will not unconsciously turn his head.
As we have said many times, it is important to know why we are doing any things. A complex of cervical gymnastics is very important, which is obvious:
- When the weakness of the neck muscles is pronounced, the spine experiences an extra burden under the weight of the head. This leads to cervical osteochondrosis, pinching of the nerves, that is, pain and restraint in movement. If the muscles are weak, they must be strengthened from an early age. This is the prevention of pain.
- When you work for a long time (most people do this today, the 21st century is the age of sitting or lying), the muscles numb and impede blood flow to the head and back to the body. Fresh blood, saturated with oxygen, enters the brain in insufficient quantities - you have a headache, dizziness, darkening of the eyes, a powerful feeling of fatigue and a great desire to gape. Just at such moments you need to get up and warm up. And if you can not - at least perform a series of exercises for the neck. This is the prevention of strokes.
- Over the years, the mobility of the joints of the body becomes less. This can be avoided if you regularly make a medical complex, so that the joints do not forget about their mobility. Here you have one more important occasion to knead the neck.
- If you have a pinching, or osteochondrosis, gymnastics for the neck will save you from pain and help you to forget about dizziness and ringing in the ears. This is a treatment.
And now let's look at what exercises are gymnastics for the neck. The main load that the cervical region will experience is static. The main exercises for the cervical spine consist of 10 elements. The video shows the complex itself, and then you will find a detailed text description of all the exercises.
Complex exercise for the neck
- Look at the sky.
- Complex stretching.
We have been looking for the most effective complex of exercises for strengthening the neck for a long time, and decided to dwell on the variant proposed by osteopaths and neurologists. The names of the exercises reflect their essence.
If during the execution of any of the exercises you have pain, reduce the amplitude of movements. If this does not help, then this exercise should not be done yet.
For a weak and sore neck, you should only use a static load. It’s too early to talk about dynamics. And in general, it is harmful in this case (except for stretching).
All exercises are performed while sitting, back straight. Everything is done slowly and smoothly. This is a medical complex for strengthening the cervical spine. Their other role - charging for the neck.
From the position "head straight" do the slopes to the sides. In each extreme position, hold the head for 7-10 seconds. In this position, you need to stretch a little to keep your head was not so easy.
Make the slope to the right. We return to the original, and without stopping we go to the left. Do this 3-5 times for each side.
From the position, we are directly trying to turn the chin inside to the Adam's apple. In this case, the head does not fall, but as it turns in one place. Hold on for 10 seconds. Then we return to the starting position, stop there for 1 second and pull the chin up. The head is in place again.
Thus, the head simply scrolls up and down around its center. We do 3-5 times for each direction.
Pull the chin forward. The head goes after him. Then, from this position, pull the chin first to the left side of the chest, hold on for 10 seconds. We return to the original, freeze there for 1 second, then do the same in the direction of the right side of the chest. So 3-5 times to each shoulder. All these turns are made from the position when the head is extended forward. And each time we return to the starting position, straightening the head in the usual position.
Look to the sky
From the “head straight” position, we turn our head to the side, as if we are looking back. We slightly raise our heads, as if we saw an airplane flying in the sky behind. We look at him. Fix the head in this position for up to 10 seconds. We return to the original, where we freeze for 1 second. Turn your head to the other side. We make 3 turns in each of the sides.
Sit up straight, look ahead. We place the right hand on the left shoulder, an elbow flush with the shoulder. We turn our head in the direction of the right shoulder and put our chin on it. We sit like this for 10 seconds, then we return to the initial one, lower the hand. Raise the other hand to the other shoulder. Put the chin in the other direction. Thus, this exercise, when the head rests on the shoulders.
In the initial position we freeze for 1 second. Make 3 repetitions in each direction.
Raise your hands and bring their palms together to each other exactly above your head. About 10–15 cm remains from the head to the base of the palm. In this position, we turn our head to the left, with our nose we rest on the biceps of the hand. Sit like this for 10 seconds. On the way to the other side, we linger in the “head straight” position for 1 second. Do 3 repetitions on each side for 10 seconds.
We spread our arms to the sides like wings. Hold 10 seconds. Omit, wait a couple of seconds and straighten your arms again. Do this 3 times.
Then, “we lie down on the wing,” first on the right — we do 2 times for 10 seconds. Then to the left. Too 2 times. That is, first you tilt your hands so that your right hand is higher than your left (in this position, the plane takes turns), then vice versa.
Hands apart a little back, palms turned to the hips, as if you were going to lean on them sitting.
Head upwards, chin stretched there too. Sit like this for 10 seconds. We return to the position when the hands are on the knees, and the head is straight - we rest for 3 seconds and again depict the heron. In this exercise, your task is to be like a heron 5 times.
Hands raised above his head with his fingers to each other. Keep fingers apart from each other at a distance of 10 cm. The head does not move, it looks straight. Hold on like this for 10 seconds 3 times. Do not forget to stop at the starting point - this is rest and restoration of blood flow.
All the above exercises for neck pain and as a prophylactic measure for its training are performed. Static loading is a magically useful thing.
In the initial position, with the right hand, take the left side of the head and pull it to the right to the shoulder as much as possible. Fix the position for 10 seconds in the stretched phase. We return to the original and do the same in the other direction with the second hand. Repeat 2-3 times for each side.
Then we help our hands to reach forward, grabbing the head in the back of the head. The challenge is to touch the chest with the chin. After that, gently and under control we bow our heads back.
We help hands to tilt the head diagonally to the right and left. And, finally, turn the head as much as possible to the right and left.
Neck Exercises - Bending and Stretching
With this simple exercise, it is always good to start exercises for the neck, as it helps to relax the cervical spine, soften muscles, improve local blood flow and prepare the neck for subsequent exercises.
Technique for neck exercises
Keep your head straight, without turning it either left or right, and gently lower your chin on your chest, as if nodding, saying "yes." Let the weight of the head stretch the neck forward as much as possible, but do not forcefully stretch the stretch (Fig. 1A). Over time, your neck will open and you will naturally be able to touch your chest with your chin. Then return your head to its original position and slowly tilt it back, as if looking at the sky (Fig. 1 B). This backward stretch should be limited, not to a physical limit, which allows your neck to lean back. The reason is that the component of the vertebrae, the spinous processes, extend to the back of the neck, and if the head is forced backward or strongly, these processes can shrink together. By practicing neigun, you could learn to increase the space between the vertebrae, which allows you to safely increase the stretch, but if not, your neck is not structurally designed for strong stretching. In this exercise, a relatively small stretch is sufficient.
Fig. 1A and 1B. Flexing and pulling
Repeat the tilt of the head back and forth 10-12 times, performing them slowly and purposefully, without sharp sounds at the end of each movement. Breathe measuredly and naturally. Return your head to the starting position and proceed to the next exercise.
Neck Exercises - Turtle
The "turtle" starts at the point where "Flexing and pulling" ends. This exercise creates a slide where each vertebra “slides” along the adjacent front and back.
Technique for Exercise Turtle Neck
Holding your head straight and looking in front of you, push your chin forward as far as your neck allows, while keeping your jaw as parallel as possible to the floor (Fig. 2A). Feel the "slip" of the cervical vertebrae, which can affect the upper back. It is a bit like a turtle pulling its head out of its shell, hence the name. Then, continuing to look ahead and holding the jaw parallel to the floor, pull the chin as deep as possible into the neck (Fig. 2B). During this movement, you may feel or even wish to raise the crown to the sky accordingly. Pulling in the chin and lifting the head reveals the back of the neck. Repeat this exercise 10-12 times, then return your head to its original position and begin the next exercise.
Fig. 2A and 2B. "Turtle"
Neck Exercises - Crane
"Crane" completes a set of previous exercises. If possible, you should do these three stretch marks every time you do neck exercises.
Technique for neck exercises
Start as if you are making the “Turtle” by pulling the chin forward, as far as the neck allows, while keeping the jaw as parallel as possible to the floor (Fig. 3A).
Then, the maximum elongated neck (chin stretched forward), lower down, as if you want to hold the ball under the chin (Fig. 3B). Holding the chin as close to the body as possible, try not to drop the imaginary ball when you begin to lift it up the neck with the help of the chin (Fig. 3B). Feel how the back of the neck stretches and it opens all the way up as you gradually return to the starting position. At the end of the stretch, raise your head a little more, stretch your face to the sky. Repeat 10-12 times.
Neck Exercises - Side to Side
This is the first neck exercise in which there are side-to-side turns. If Flexing and Pulling is like a nod, as if you are saying yes, then this exercise is like shaking your head, as if you are saying no.
Technique for neck exercises
For a start, keep your head straight, look ahead. Hold the jaw parallel to the floor and slowly turn your head to the left, directing the chin to the left shoulder. Make sure the neck is flat, elongated and perpendicular to the floor. At the final turning point, people tend to involuntarily tilt their heads, pushing them back to increase the stretch. In addition, it is common for people to move their left shoulder back a little, as this allows us to turn further and gives the illusion that the neck is turning stronger. To stretch out well and get the best result from this exercise, you need to avoid both of these possibilities.
Fig. 4. Side to side
Then return the head to its original position and turn it in the opposite direction, directing the chin to the right shoulder. Repeat turns to the right and left 10-12 times.
Neck Exercises - Lateral Stretching
This is the second exercise with turning the neck from side to side with the fact that you are always looking forward.
Technique for neck exercises
For a start, keep your head straight, look ahead. Bend your head to the left so that the left ear is lowered to the left shoulder. Very often, people involuntarily turn their heads to the left during this exercise, so try to keep your head as straight as possible. A little more difficult task - try to stretch the neck. To make it easier for you, imagine that someone put his hands on the top of your head, watching your movements, and at this time you turn your head to the left and try to push it into these hands. Apart from the fact that it is better to stretch the right side of the neck and open the cervical vertebrae to the right, the stretching of the neck will slightly open the left side, keeping the space between the vertebrae and minimizing possible excess compression or bone contact.
Fig. 5. Side stretch
Then turn to the head to the starting position and repeat the exercise, with your head tilted to the right, so that your right ear is leaning toward the right shoulder. Try to keep your neck extended when you slowly tilt your head from side to side 10-12 times.
As soon as you feel that your neck remains stretched, you can add and hold the stretch after the last neck bends in different directions. To do this, with your head tilted to the left, place your left hand on your head and place your palm so that your fingers are close to your right ear. Let the weight of your left hand slightly increase the stretch by tilting your head passively to the left.
Make sure that the neck remains stretched out and, thus, the left sides of the cervical vertebrae are not pressed against each other. To this held stretch, you can add focused breathing, directing inhalation to any tense or painful areas, releasing tension when you exhale. Take 5-10 breaths, then repeat the stretch that is held on the other side of the neck, with your head tilted to the right.
Neck Exercises - Neck Rotations with Chin Down
This is a variation of the more well-known full neck rotation, which brings maximum benefit without the risk of damaging the cervical vertebrae.
Technique for performing neck rotation exercise
Lower the chin on the chest, as in the beginning of the “Flexing and stretching” exercise described above (fig. 6A). Holding the chin as close to the body as possible and pulling the neck as far as possible, imagine how you use the chin to draw a line on the chest that is directed to the left shoulder and at the same time turn the neck to the left. Your chin will rise as you get closer to your shoulder. Turning it to the left, as far as the neck allows, look down over the shoulder, this will increase the stretch (Fig. 6B).
Then, with the tip of your chin, draw an imaginary line, returning to its original position in the center of the chest, and continue to turn your head to the right until you reach a point beyond which you cannot stretch, and look down over the right shoulder.
Keep your movements smooth, slow and careful. It does not use a certain type of breathing, but remember that you need to breathe deeply, evenly and continuously, without holding your breath at any of the stages. Repeat the rotation of the neck from side to side 10-12 times.
Fig. 6A and 6B. Rotation of the neck with the chin down
You can hear or feel clicks or claps, this is normal and, as mentioned above, is a sign of crepitus, not bone damage.
Neck Exercises - Thumb massage of the back of the neck
The benefits of doing massage exercises for the neck
In this exercise, you will massage two or three parallel lines to the back of the neck. This self-massage is taken from the Chinese massage practice of Anmo and Tui-na, which includes the physical therapy of conventional massage and the energy components of acupuncture. By working on areas near the spine, you will be able to influence and improve the course of Qi of the Bladder and, a little further, the Gallbladder. San Jiao Meridian intersects these diagonals. You can also affect the Qi meridian of the Small Intestine, which runs along the side surfaces of the neck. In this exercise, he may be skipped, but the rest of this group is working on it.
Fig. 7. Massage the back of the neck with the thumbs
Technique for neck exercises
Put your fingers in the lock and put your hands over your head, placing them at the base of the skull. Turn your thumbs down to the top of the shoulders. If necessary, lower your arms down a bit so that your thumbs touch the neck where it connects to the back. Interlacing your fingers will allow you to use more power than your big fingers can use. Using a comfortable level of pressure at the same time on the thumbs and neck, place the tips of the thumbs at the base of your neck. You can tilt your head slightly, revealing the back of the neck to make it easier to work on it. Making circular movements with your thumbs, begin to knead the muscles of the neck. First, place your fingers slightly wider, on the sides of the neck, and gradually move, without stopping the circular massage, upwards, along a relatively straight line, until you reach the base of the skull. Then massage in the opposite direction along the same line. Slightly move your thumbs closer to the spine and repeat the circular massage of the neck up and down. If you can move your thumbs even more, without placing them in the center line of the spine, repeat the circular massage for the third and last time, up to the base of the skull and down.
If on some segment of these three lines running along the back of the neck, you feel tension or soreness, give it a little more attention. Massage until you feel the tension go away and the muscles relax. It can cause pain, but it is a good pain. With practice, this pain will decrease and will soon disappear completely.
Neck Exercises with Resistance
All neck exercises are practices of relaxation, opening, stretching, and mobilization.The last exercises, as far as I know, are not Chinese and are isometric strengthening exercises for the neck. Exercises that strengthen the muscles, of course, are useful for the whole body, but the neck is a special case, because it constantly holds the weight of the head, and weak neck muscles contribute to the appearance of pain in the neck. A strong neck is more stable (and more capable of maintaining the improvements that previous exercises bring), less prone to injury and will help you minimize or reverse age-related changes.
How to perform an exercise for the neck with resistance
- Direct resistance Holding your head straight and looking ahead, place the palm of your leading hand on your forehead. Press your forehead on the palm with all possible force, but without tension (Fig. 8A). Feel the muscles of the front of the neck contract as your hand resists and remains stationary. Press for about 10 seconds, then relax. Repeat 3 times.
- Reverse resistance. Stretch your fingers and place your palms behind your head, placing your palms on the bottom of the skull. Squeeze the nape in the palm with all possible force, but without tension (Fig. 8B). Feel how the muscles of the back of the neck work when your hands resist and stay in place. Press for about 10 seconds, then relax. Repeat 3 times.
- Lateral / lateral resistance. Holding your head straight and looking in front of you, place your right palm on the right temple. Squeeze the right temple on the palm with all possible force, but without a feeling of tension (Fig. 8B). Feel how the muscles of the right surface of the neck contract when your hand resists and remains stationary. Press for about 10 seconds, then relax. Repeat 3 times. Then do the same exercise to the left.
- Resistance to rotation. Holding your head straight and looking in front of you, put your right hand on the right side of your head so that the upper part of the palm touches the cheekbone and the lower part of the chin. Turn your head into the palm with all possible force, but without tension, as if trying to look to the right (fig. 8G). Feel how the muscles on the left side of the neck work when your hand resists and stays in place. This may seem illogical, but turning to the right involves more muscle on the left side of the neck. Try to turn around for 10 seconds, then relax. Repeat 3 times. Then repeat this exercise for the left side. When you are done with these resistance exercises, you may want to repeat the stretching exercises in order to give the neck an open and relaxed feeling again. If so, choose any that you like.
Fig. 8A. Direct resistance
Fig. 8b. Reverse resistance
Fig. 8B. Lateral / lateral resistance
Fig. 8G. Rotational resistance
Why neck exercises are important
The neck is the connecting channel between the head and the rest of the body. This means that it is involved in the process of the inflow and outflow of blood, covering the organs of the head, including the brain, the senses and all the muscles of the face and skull. Any physical obstruction or contraction can reduce blood flow, thereby impairing perception, sensation, and expression ability. Poor outflow of venous blood, that is, the return of blood from the head to the heart, can increase intracranial pressure, cause headaches, increase the concentration and accumulation of metabolic products, which increases the risk of stroke. All spinal nerves go down the neck from the brain, which controls various functions of the body, and bring to it information about the state of the body and numerous environmental factors. A slowed down nerve impulse that passes through the neck can reduce the functioning of organs and muscles and weaken the sensations of the senses, with the result that various physical warning signals or danger may pass unnoticed.
Virtually all acupuncture meridians run along the neck, including seven of the eight unusual meridians and median system channels. Unlike Yang, Du-May and Ren-May meridians, which have external paths passing through the neck and head, and which are used in acupuncture treatment, the Yin-meridians in the neck pass direct and mediated internal paths. Other unusual meridians of the head and neck can be affected by acupuncture through their connections with ordinary meridians.
Neck pain, which is often associated with pain in the upper back and shoulders, in our culture is almost an epidemic, like headaches. They can be a clear result of traumatic injury or a sign of muscle spasm, nerve strangulation, or both, as well as the cause or result of inflammation or other irritating factors, including mental and emotional stress. There is a muscle layer in the arteries, and its spasm can cause various types of headaches. Any kind of spasm reduces blood flow, reduces the supply of nutrients to the affected and surrounding muscles and allows toxic substances to accumulate. This is one of the aspects that the Chinese attribute to the Congestion of Blood. In the absence of trauma, Congestive Blood is often associated with a prolonged stagnation of Qi, so the effect on interconnected energies before a problem is detected is always advisable. As in the case of back pain, there may be a narrowing of the space between the vertebrae and their degeneration. Most people avoid what provokes pain, and often in the case of neck pain, especially chronic pain, this means limited mobility. Limiting mobility ultimately reduces functionality, which leads to an even greater limitation of mobility. Thus, although pains in the neck and shoulders may seem to be a common painful problem, often, if left untreated, they can be early symptoms of more serious diseases.
In most of these exercises, flexion and extension, extension and extension, rotation, or a combination of the two are used. Unless otherwise indicated, they do not include static stretching, so focused breathing is not necessary. The main thing with regard to breathing when performing this group of exercises, it can not be delayed. Performing an entire group of exercises does not take much time, and ideally you need to complete each of these. Their goal is to preserve or improve the mobility of the neck, prevent or reduce pain, and also improve the transmission of nerve impulses and blood flow and Qi to and from the head, for the reasons described above. When performing these exercises, you can feel or hear claps and / or crunch, this is normal and occurs in many. In medicine, this is called crepitus. Since in none of these exercises you will actively try to “break” the neck, the sounds you can hear are harmless and not dangerous, with practice they usually disappear, which is a sign of healing.
All these exercises are preferable to perform sitting, in a chair or on the floor, where you will be more comfortable. As for the sitting position, the most important thing is to keep your back level. Stoop gives the opposite result, because the spine deviates from its axis. If you are sitting in a chair, it should be hard, not soft, and you need to sit on the front half or third of the seat. This will help keep your back straight. Do not lean on your back, unless you have serious back problems and need support. Put your palms on your knees and let the weight of your arms bend your shoulders down, helping to remove tension from them. If you are sitting directly on the floor or on a pillow, make sure that your back always remains level. You can put your palms on your knees or fold your hands on your hips. Holding your back straight means keeping your shoulders and torso motionless, turned forward.In these exercises, you are working through the neck, and to do it most effectively, only she has to move.
Breathe evenly, slowly, deeply and deeply, without holding your breath as you exhale, inhale or in between. Exercises for the neck start from this starting position.
Video: neck exercises
More and more people are experiencing pain in the neck. Most of the pain in this part of the body bother programmers, office workers, accountants and writers, that is, those people who by the nature of their activities are forced to lead a sedentary lifestyle. In the age of hypodynamia, when all of humanity is chained to a computer, this problem is becoming more common and involves more and more people in the circle of victims.
Neck pain many people do not take seriously. They blame it on fatigue or on the fact that they fell asleep in the wrong posture. It is only after a while that the pains occur more often and become stronger, and then a disease called “osteochondrosis of the cervical vertebrae” appears. This type of osteochondrosis often becomes the cause of many diseases, which can be prevented, if only in time to start to fight it.
More recently, neck pain was more common in people over 30 years old, and osteochondrosis after 35 years. But in the last decade, these problems have significantly "looked younger." Today, young people, and sometimes even children, complain of pains in the neck, shoulder blades and shoulders! Therefore, to start a more active lifestyle should be immediately after the occurrence of the first pain in the neck, no matter what age it is.
Why do pains occur?
First of all, pain in the neck is caused by irrational strain on the spinal column, asymmetric work of the back muscles, which leads to dystrophic changes in the intervertebral discs. The bones and cartilage that connects them tend to lose their elasticity, so when they touch, they rub against one another. This provokes the formation of cracks, Schmorl hernias, or intervertebral hernias. It is important to strengthen the neck and spinal muscles in time, which ensure the correct position of the head and spine.
In order to prevent osteochondrosis and other diseases of the neck, as well as help activate the metabolic processes, you need to engage in a special set of physical exercises, which are aimed specifically at this part of the spinal column.
There are exercises that can be performed not only in a modern gym, but also at home or in the office. Their main task is to strengthen the muscles of the neck, as well as to prevent pain. Here are some of them.
This is an exercise that needs to be performed a day several times. Stand up, stand up straight, put your hands on your shoulders and pull your neck to the top. At this time, hold the shoulders with your hands so that they do not rise behind the neck. Then you need to inhale very deeply, exhale after 15 seconds and relax the muscles of the neck.
At the beginning of the exercise, take a deep breath and, slowly exhaling, bow your head from one shoulder to the other, then tilt it back and forth. Thus, when your head rises, a deep exhalation will end.
This exercise is familiar to many more from school physical education lessons, when everyone became in one line, put their legs wider and did their head tilts: forward, backward, and then left, right. This neck training is recommended to be performed at an accelerated pace, making in each direction at least fifteen bends.
In order to normalize the intracranial blood circulation for several seconds each day, with your palms, press down on different parts of the head: the top of the head, the temples, the forehead, the back of the head. Also help prevent the appearance of pain in the neck, slow but strong inclinations of the chin to the sternum.
They will stop bothering you with neck problems if you make head turns to the sides every day for the maximum amplitude. Also, several times a day, it will be useful to tilt your head back and try to reach the shoulder with your ear.
Gymnastics with osteochondrosis
Very often in life it happens that a person who has osteochondrosis of the cervical vertebrae cannot change the working conditions. This can aggravate the course of the disease, so you need to pay close attention to its treatment with the help of physical trainings. They will help to quickly fix the situation and will not allow the appearance of complications.
Osteochondrosis of the cervical vertebrae has its own symptoms, the presence of which should make a person take a closer look at their health. The main signs of this disease can be: lack of coordination, circling of the head, pain in the back in the area of the shoulder blades and headaches. In such cases, you need to perform not separate exercises, but a whole complex that will help alleviate the symptoms and even get rid of osteochondrosis, unless of course the disease has a not too advanced stage. The complex for the neck includes the following loads.
Make a “lock” from your hands, put your chin on it and put pressure on the “lock”. At the same time, the stronger you do it, the more effective the exercise will be. Repeat this movement should be fifteen times in one go. Throughout the day, you can make five such approaches.
In order to do the following exercise, you must try to reach your neck with your chin. In such a position, you must turn your head five times first to the left, then to the right.
After the previous exercise, you need to immediately raise your chin to the top and in such a position, turn your head to the left and right.
Make a “lock” out of your hands, put closed hands on the back of your head, with which you try to push very hard on the “lock”. In order for the training to be really effective, it is necessary to fulfill one condition: you must always keep your head straight.
To do the following exercise, you need to reach your shoulder five times with your ear. First five times the right shoulder, then the same number of times the left. At the same time on each slope exhale, and raising his head - inhale.
Exercise, in which you need to use a small burden, will allow you to strengthen the muscles of the neck better than the usual complex of physical activities for this part of the body. But you must remember that they should be done every other day and you absolutely cannot overdo it in this case.
Strength training for the neck must first be repeated no more than twelve times in three sets. With each week, you can add a few repetitions, until you bring the number to twenty. When you are engaged in burdening, you should always keep track of time: three active minutes give way to one minute of rest.
It is recommended for this neck training to use dumbbells, the weight of which should not exceed three kilograms:
- Sit on the bench, keep your back straight. Spread your arms with dumbbells in both directions and bend them in elbows.
- Standing or sitting, you begin to imitate boxing punches, holding dumbbells in your hands.
- Tilt your torso forward, parallel to the floor, hold your arms to your chest, holding dumbbells in them, then begin to push them apart.
- Stand, keeping your back straight, with your legs in the width of your shoulders. Alternately lift your arms with dumbbells up.
- Holding your hands parallel to the floor, begin to rotate them forward and then back.
- Bend your arms in front of your chest, then start to spread them apart.
After doing strength training, be sure to relax your back muscles. Imagine that you are painting with your nose. Sitting, you must prescribe them the numbers of the first ten, first forward (up to ten), then back (to zero).With this exercise, you can also train your vestibular apparatus, which also has a positive effect on your well-being with pains in the neck.
The neck is a part of your body that not only suffers from diseases, but also is able to “tell” about the age. If you pay attention to it, you may notice - the skin of your neck is rather thin, soft and gentle. Also, like your hands or the skin around your eyes, it consists of a very thin subcutaneous layer of fiber. Not all people pay attention to this part of their body in time, therefore, with age they face the problem of flabbiness and sagging of the skin on the neck. Of course, this is primarily due to muscle weakness. Having problems in the form of aching pain in the neck, you can perform gymnastics, which also tightens the skin.
If you give the neck training only fifteen minutes every day, then over time you can achieve great success: osteochondrosis will recede, and the muscles will become more elastic! Gymnastics can be done through these exercises:
- head should be thrown back, mouth open, relax the lower jaw. Next, try, slowly lifting, to cover her upper jaw, as if pulling her lower lip to the nose. At this time, the chin muscles should be stretched to the maximum.
- put your elbows on the table, clasping your hands in the "lock". Put your chin on them, and start to lift it up. Chin must "resist." Then, you need to lower your chin with your hands, which also “resist”.
- in order to perform this exercise, you must stretch your lips into a pipe and, while actively articulating, begin to pronounce the sounds by them - A, O, E, U, U.
- straining the muscles of the neck, lower the corners of your mouth down, holding them for several seconds in this position. Make up to ten of these subsidence.
- Take a pencil in the teeth and try to draw them first a circle, then an oval.
- put your hands behind your head, putting it on them, begin to lower it back, while continuing to do with your hands resistance.
The main difference of such training is that it should be performed very slowly, every movement repeated up to ten times. After ten days of practice, the number of repetitions can be increased to twenty, and over time to forty.
In order to carry out training for the neck, you do not hurt yourself, first of all, visit a doctor who will prohibit or recommend only classes that are suitable for you. But besides this, you should remember about the obligatory observance of the basic rules at the training:
- in the acute course of osteochondrosis, all the above workouts are prohibited.
- Before starting to workout, you should warm the muscles with a massage or light exercises.
- training should be done slowly, to be able to assess their health. If you suddenly felt discomfort while performing any exercises, they should be stopped immediately.
- neck training will be more effective if you add to it a complex of various physical activities recommended for the thoracic spine.
- All types of exercises should be conducted regularly, at one time, every day.
- Start training the neck should be with a small load on the muscles, and over time, bring it to a stronger one. Gradually, you need to increase the number of repetitions, and the number of approaches.
Sign up for email updates:
If you like our article and you have something to add, share your thoughts. It is very important for us to know your opinion!
Many people complain of pain in the neck and upper back. The reasons may be different, it is a sedentary lifestyle, and constant stress, and unhealthy diet - all this does not make us healthy.
But do not forget that if you do not pay attention to the problems of the neck, through which the spinal cord, arteries, nerves pass, various diseases can arise, from headaches and spasms of nerve endings to osteochondrosis and hernia between vertebral disks.
Gymnastics for the neck is a very useful exercise, but it should be done properly and carefully so as not to harm your health.
I want to introduce you to a simple medical gymnastics for the neck.
Gymnastics complex for the neck
To remove the pain in the neck, it is necessary to develop the neck muscles with a special gymnastics.Performing exercises for the neck for a long time will provide you with prevention of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine.
It was not at all safe to do circular rotational exercises.
There are many different sets of exercises for the neck, but even if you perform the most simple, the effect for Health will be huge.
- Look ahead, place your hand on your forehead, and press down hard on your forehead, resisting your head. Perform 3-5 approaches.
- Do the same with the nape.
- Press your palm on the left, then on the right temple, offering resistance.
- Bending your head forward - to the neck, slide your chin on the chest, then lift your head up.
- Slightly tilt your head back, try to touch your ear shoulder, first one, then the other.
These exercises for the neck should be done regularly, for 5-10 minutes.
After them there is a slight pleasant fatigue, which quickly passes.
Gymnastics for Dr. Shishonin's neck
1) Bend your head slowly to the right shoulder, trying to touch your ear, stand for 10-15 seconds.
2) Do the same to the left, trying to reach the left shoulder with your ear.
3) Try to stretch your neck forward and slightly up. Hold for 15 seconds. Then tilt your head back, but do not throw it back. Do a few times.
4) Try to stretch your neck forward as far as possible. Freeze for 10 seconds. Then from the initial position we slowly turn our head to the right, return to the initial position and turn our head to the left. In each position we freeze for 10 seconds.
5) Turn your head to the right as you can. Hold for 15 seconds. Then left, stay again. You need to do 5 times.
Gymnastics for neck muscles
But simple exercises for the muscles of the back and neck for those who often and a lot of sitting at the computer, they take little time and help to relieve pain and tension.
Perform these exercises smoothly, without sudden movements, so as not to harm yourself.
- Sit up straight so that you are comfortable on a chair, your back is straight and level, tilt your head five times in each direction, first having lowered your head, chin down and then tilting your head back, also rotate smoothly to the right and left. Repeat 7-10 times.
- The following exercise is also done sitting on a chair with a flat back. Take a towel in your hands, stretch it with both hands above your head, tilt left-right like a pendulum and think of something pleasant. Repeat 15-20 times.
- The third exercise helps with neck pain. Sitting on a chair, stretch up and down as alternately as possible with your left and right handed. At the same time, we keep the back straight, the stomach is retracted.
Repeat the exercise 15-20 times.
It is worth noting that in any case, you should consult with your doctor.
Be sure to remember the simple rules at work.
- Do not sit for a long time, try not to get up every hour for a long time and at least walk along the corridor.
- Always keep your back straight, lean back to rest, but you cannot work in this position.
- Perform nobody noticeable gymnastics: squeeze and loosen the gluteal muscles.
- When working on the keyboard, try to keep your elbows on the table.
- High heels heavily load the spine, heel 2.5 -3 cm is recommended.
Conclusion: if you have sedentary work, you move a little, try to perform simple exercises for the neck, thanks to her you will forget about headaches, pain in the neck and back will not bother you.
Beautiful elegant neck - how to achieve it?
The neck for a woman is one of the most tender and beautiful places of her body. But the neck is not only beautiful and elegant - it gives the age and problems with obesity in the first place. Wrinkles on the face can be smoothed, put on corrective underwear, pump up a press, but if your neck is flabby, with a double chin, you will not hide it by any “deceptive” means.
However, any woman wants to preserve beauty and youth as long as possible - which means you need to care for your neck. In addition to cosmetic procedures - masks, peels, special food - you need to perform special exercises for the neck and chinthat will help you keep the beauty, youthfulness of your neck, tighten its silhouette.
1. Tilt the head back and sideways
This exercise will help stretch the sternocleidomastoid and long neck muscles.
Stand up straight, lower your shoulders. Fold back the head, pulling the front surface of the neck. From this position, tilt your head to the left. For greater effect, place your left hand on the right side of your head, but do not push hard.
Repeat the exercise in the other direction.
2. Stretching hands behind head
This is a stretch for the muscles that raise the scapula.
Raise your right hand, bend it at the elbow and touch the top edge of the scapula. Place your left hand on the top of the head and tilt your head to the left.
Repeat the exercise in the other direction.
3. Tilt the head forward and sideways
With this exercise, you can stretch the upper part of the trapezius muscles and the strap muscles of the neck.
Sit with a straight back, put your right hand on the left side of the head. Bend your head forward and to the side, increase the pressure with your hand.
Repeat the other way.
For bodybuilding, two muscles of the neck are of primary importance: the sternoclavicular-mastoid in the front and the patch-like muscle in the back.
The sternocleidomastoid muscle has 2 heads: sternal and clavicular, which are located as shown in the figure below:
The patch-like muscle also consists of two parts: the neck and head. As shown in the figure below, only an insignificant part of the muscle is visible, basically it is covered by other muscles from above.
As you have probably guessed, the most visible muscle of these two is the sternocleidomastoid. After working on this muscle, you can create an image of a person with a strong and powerful neck, like this guy in the picture:
However, this does not mean at all that the plaster muscle does not matter, it is simply less noticeable, since it is covered from above by a trapezius muscle and some others tightly attached to it.
Let us proceed to the next question, how to directly train the muscles of the neck:
Neck flexion with disc
My favorite type of exercise, which does not require any special equipment, all you need is a bench and a weighting disk. There are two ways to perform this exercise. You can:
- Lie on the bench on your back, but in such a way that the head and neck hang freely from the edge.
- Lie on the bench in such a way that the upper half of the body is completely on the bench, and the legs have firm support on the floor. Your body should be parallel to the floor surface and perpendicular to the bench.
In fact, it does not matter what position you will do the exercise, decide for yourself, the performance will be the same anyway. Place the weight disk on the forehead, holding it with your hands for balance, then continue to bend the neck, with your head tilted forward, and try to reach the chest with your chin. Then remove the weight and return to the starting position, then repeat the exercise in the same sequence.
- Do not use too much weight.
- If possible, use the Olimpiyskiy weight disk option, since it has a plastic coating on the outside and is more comfortable to use.
- From the standpoint of hygiene it is recommended to use a towel, placing it between the weight disk and the face.
Neck bending with a helmet
The principle of the exercise is similar to the previous one, but instead of a disk, special equipment is used - the head helmet. This type of equipment is not used in many gyms, so it is recommended to have your own headgear.Performing neck flexion exercises with its use is not only more effective, but also a safer way, in my opinion.
Set the bench directly in front of the high traction unit, sit with your back to it. Install a high thrust unit at head level, put on a head helmet and bend your head so that your chin touches your chest. Then return to the starting position and repeat the exercise.
There are various options for headgear, but I personally prefer those that completely fit around the head, like this one:
Bending of the neck in a special simulator
Although not a very common form of the simulator, but some gyms have dedicated equipment to work out the muscles of the front of the neck. This simulator does everything for you, you just sit down, and a special “pillow performs the role of a weighting agent. This will allow you to work out the muscles of the neck, bending it forward in the same way as when performing the previously described exercises.
Do not worry, it's just a picture. Pay attention to the handles on the front of the simulator, they are used for balance, so be sure to check that you hold tight to them during the exercise.
Disc Exercise Exercise
We now turn to the posterior muscles of the neck, namely, the patch-like muscle. As you probably guessed, training the back muscles of the neck on the principle of implementation does not differ from anything that has already been said. There are many options for training this muscle, my favorite and most accessible is using a bench and a weighting disk.
You can sit on the bench in two ways:
- Sit on the bench, lean forward until your belly touches the hips.
- Lying on the stomach, the head hangs slightly off the edge.
Personally, I prefer the first method, although both options are very good. Despite what method of placement on the bench you choose, the technique of the exercise will be the same. Place the disk behind the head and try to straighten the neck as much as possible. Keep your head down until your chin touches the upper chest and then repeat the exercise. It is recommended to lay a towel between the disk and the head and to control the holding of the disk behind the head with both hands.
Neck Exercise with Helmet
As mentioned earlier, to perform this exercise, you will need to purchase your own equipment. In contrast to the exercises for the muscles of the front of the neck, there are two types of head helmets that can be used to work out the back muscles of the neck: without weighting and with weighting. The first one is used on a high projectile as follows:
- Sitting on a bench facing a high traction unit
- Mount the high thrust pin at the bottom, attach the harness, and put on the helmet
A weighted helmet can be used as follows:
- Sit on your feet, put your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Attach the helmet to your helmet with a special chain and lean forward.
- You can put your hands on your knees, or, on your hips, if you push forward more strongly.
In principle, it does not matter what type of equipment you choose to perform neck extension exercises, but always remember that in order to fully extend and then bend the chin must touch the chest when returning to its original position.
Neck extension in a special simulator
The last version of the exercise for the back of the neck muscles will consider the example of using a special device. Not quite the usual sight, but this device will allow you to perform neck straightening, as in previous exercises, but under more special control. If you ever decide to do an exercise for the muscles of the neck with the help of special equipment, the first thing to do is to make sure that the neck is in the correct position to ensure the maximum range of motion.
Lateral flexion with weighting
Although the main focus of the exercise is to work out the muscles of the front of the neck, while the muscles of the back are also being worked out simultaneously. This exercise can be carried out with the help of weighting disks, a head helmet or special equipment, but the principle of implementation is preserved regardless of what you choose. The purpose of this exercise is to perform lateral flexion, until the neck touches the shoulder.
The most acceptable way to perform this type of exercise is with a special weighting disk. Using an ordinary horizontal bench, lay down on it sideways, with the lower hand you can clasp the bench outside or lean on it, dropping it on the floor. Place the disk on top of your head, hold it in that position with your free hand. Move up as far as possible, then return to the starting position. After completing the exercise on one side, roll onto the other side and do the same.
Using a helmet you can easily imitate the effect of a weighting disk:
You can also use an inclined bench if you want:
When using a harness, you do the same thing only from a standing position. Mount the high pulley at head level and bend your head to the side as usual.
And last but not least, there is a special simulator:
Training of neck muscles should be taken very seriously, since the consequences of injuries that may occur will be irreversible. I usually train once a week, as a rule, I make 3 sets for the muscles of the front of the neck and 2 sets on the back of the neck. Always check what weight you choose, it must match your level of physical fitness. Although some people who have a powerful neck, can lift more weight, but you should not be equal to them and try to imitate them!
If you are afraid to train your neck with a weighting weight or for some other reason this method does not suit you, you can use your own hands for training. For example, you can use the power of your hands as a weighting agent. Put your hand on your forehead and gently press on your forehead, trying to deflect your head back while all the forces of your neck muscles are necessary to counteract the action of your hand. The same can be done for the posterior and lateral muscles of the neck.
You can also use an elastic band or something similar if you want:
Last but not least, you can also perform the bridge-on-the-neck exercise, although I do not recommend this type of exercise because I consider it too traumatic, and especially because there are many safe ways to train the neck muscles. You can perform this exercise for training the front, side and rear muscles using only your own weight.
There are 3 types of bridges, but to explain the technique of execution in words will be quite difficult. Therefore, I recommend watching the following video:
As I mentioned earlier, doing this type of exercise can be quite dangerous, be sure that you are physically prepared enough before you try to do it, it is better to start training with safer types of exercise.
Neck and Chin Exercises
These exercises are quite simple, they do not require special training and do not take a lot of time, but they need to be performed regularly. Spend them some time every day, then the result - a beautiful neck and smart chin - will not keep you waiting.
Naturally, to improve the silhouette of the neck and face shape and get rid of the double chin, neck muscle exercises should be combined with a low carbohydrate diet, reduce fat intake, monitor daily calorie intake.
Problems with the neck can occur not only because of excess weight, but also vice versa - if you lose weight quickly.Fat is gone, and stretched skin and muscles drooped - this affects not only the neck, but also on the sides, buttocks, on the stomach, the consequences of drastic weight loss in the area of triceps and legs are very noticeable. In order to simultaneously tighten and tone muscles and skin along with a decrease in weight, be sure to exercise, including exercises for the neck and chin.
Static (isometric) gymnastics for neck pain
Pain in the neck…. Almost everyone, at least once in their lives, had such complaints. Pain and discomfort in the neck and shoulder glands are the most common symptoms. cervical osteochondrosis.
Gymnastics, if performed regularly, will be able to provide very great assistance in this, sometimes, even - crucial.
Neck pain often worries in the morning and may be associated with loads on the spine. For example, after long work at the computer, a desktop, after performance of an exercise stress.
Cervical vertebrae and inter - vertebral joints, under static load, were for a long time in a forced position.
Their capsules, ligaments, muscles are overloaded, overstrained, microcirculation and nutrition of these zones are disturbed.
To reduce pain in the cervical spine (and in other departments too), non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are most often used.
This is most often ibuprofen, indomethacin, diclofenac, meloxicam, ketoproene, nimesulide, etc.
For external use, various gels, special creams, ointments, patches containing NSAIDs are used.
With any intensity of pain it is very good to use a Shantz collar. It is recommended to apply it for 2 - 3 hours a day. It promotes muscle relaxation in the neck and shoulder glands.
Especially, the trench collar is useful if the work is associated with a long static load on the neck muscles. Great help in solving the problem of pain in the neck can have a special gymnastics.
All these methods are simple and effective. But, a very important question arises - when should I see a doctor, and when can I take any measures myself?
Intense neck pain
You should know - if the pain in the neck gives to the shoulder area, shoulders, forearms, worries at night, disrupts sleep, is accompanied by periodic (often during sleep) the occurrence of numbness in the arm or hands, dizzinessheadache. Or, the pain is quite intense, accompanied by a significant restriction of movements in the spine, in the shoulder joints - such pain cannot be treated independently. It is necessary to consult a doctor.
With chronic pain, moderate, localized in the neck, or in the transition of the neck to the level of the thoracic spine, with discomfort in the neck, tension of the neck muscles, a slight restriction of movements in the neck, which occurs more often in the morning and passed the necessary examination, you can help yourself.
The most effective method of assistance is gymnastics. And, especially, in this case, static. Dynamic gymnastics with a problem in the neck is best performed with a physiotherapy specialist.
In the case of self-study, static exercises will be optimal. They are not associated with movements, but only with the tension of the neck muscles. In static gymnastics, the paravertebral muscles are tense, but the neck itself, while retaining immobility.
Learn some simple exercises:
Exercise 1 - You need to lie on the stomach, on a flat, but not too hard surface. Lay your head to the side. Take a breath, hold your breath. Then push your cheek on the surface on which this cheek lies. And keep this pressure for 5 - 6 seconds.
Then exhale. On the exhale, the neck muscles relax, and, as a result of their sudden relaxation after the tension, the vertebrae are displaced from a painful, fixed state to a normal, moving position.Repeat this exercise 3 - 4 times, in turn producing pressure on each cheek.
Exercise 2 Need to sit down. Place your hands on the back of your head, take a deep breath, hold your breath and put pressure on the back of your head, and back of your head - on your hands.
At the same time do not make any movements, exercise only pressure, muscle tension, lasting up to 5 - 6 seconds.
then exhale, relax your muscles, remove your arms - slowly, with your own weight, tilt your head forward.
While inhaling, hold your breath and press your palms on the forehead, and your forehead on the palms. Exercise duration - 5 - 6 seconds.
As you exhale, relax your muscles, remove your hands slowly from the forehead area. The head will tilt back a little.
Exercise 4 Place the palm on the cheek area (one), while holding the inhale, put pressure on the cheek with the palm and on the palm with the cheek (5-6 seconds). Repeat the same exercise on the other side.
To stop the pain in the neck to bother you, repeat each exercise 3 - 4 times, lasting up to 5 - 6 seconds. everybody. Begin to engage with little effort, and, gradually, the force of pressure and, accordingly, the force of resistance, muscle tension, increase.
With cervical osteochondrosis static gymnastics repeat 1 - 2 times a day.
Combine the practice of static gymnastics with other types of physical activity - swimming, nordic walkingdifferent physiotherapeutic procedures massage
Choose an orthopedic mattress for yourself, orthopedic pillow. And the result will be excellent!
Neck pain, discomfort will stop bothering you. You can get rid of them forever.
Visit the online store - "All for your health! ”
4. Stretching the back of the neck
This exercise stretches the strap muscle of the neck and suboccipital muscles.
Stand with your back straight, put your right hand on the back of your head, and your left hand on your chin. Lower your head by double chin. In this case, the neck remains straight, the back of the head tends upwards. You should feel tension in the back of the neck, especially at the base of the skull.
Complex exercises for the muscles of the neck
- As a warm-up, perform head tilts forward, back and sideways, head rotation, head turns. Make 20-30 repetitions of each movement on each side.
- Lightly pat on the chin, sides of the neck and neck itself with the back of your hand. Begin to perform this exercise slowly, gradually increasing the pace of movement. Take exercise for 2-3 minutes daily, you can do this exercise and several times a day - for example, to escape from work at the computer, close your eyes, sit back and do this exercise.
- Before bed, always do a muscle-stretching exercise for the neck.: Lie down on your right side, and slowly deflect your head, trying to put it on the pillow on the left side, and vice versa. You should feel the tension of the muscles.
- Lie on the floor, slowly lift your head up and hold for 30 seconds. Then, without lowering your head, slowly turn your head to the left and to the right. Make 10 movements. Then, lifting the neck (you can slightly lift the shoulders off the floor) up, follow the head forward and backward without touching the floor - also 10 times.
- Perform static exercises for the muscles of the neck: press your palm to your forehead, at the same time press on it with your head, as if trying to put the head on your neck forward, and counteract with your hand, keeping the palm on your forehead. Do this exercise 5-8 times in each direction: forward, backward, sideways. The execution time is 20-40 seconds per repetition.
- The following exercise for the neck and chin is rather funny, but very effective.. Head - straight, shoulders straightened. Stick the tongue out as far as possible, count to 15, remove the tongue. Do 10-20 reps.
- Now close your mouth tightly, tilt your head back as far as possible.Count to 10, return your head to its original position. Do 10-20 reps.
- Do 10 repetitions of 10-20 seconds for the next neck exercise: tilting your head back slightly, lift your lower lip up as far as you can. Try to reach it to the tip of your nose.
- Lie on the floor, arms along the body. Press the chin to your chest and linger for a few seconds, then slowly return the chin to its original position. Do 25 repetitions.
- Starting position - too, lift your head up, stretch your chin higher, as if trying to use it to tear your head off the floor.
- Sit comfortably. Open your mouth and pull the lower jaw forward. Count to 10, and then also strongly pull it back and freeze again for 10 seconds. Do 25-30 repetitions.
- This exercise for the neck muscles is similar to the previous one, only it is performed at a faster pace.. You need to bite your lower lip with your lower jaw and make it a few movements up and down.
- Take a small inflatable ball, place it between the neck and chin and hold for 30 seconds. Repeat 10-15 times.
- Chewing is a good neck exercise that helps remove a double chin. Every day, after eating, chew sugar-free gum for 10-15 minutes - this will not only help you beat a double chin, but will also have a beneficial effect on digestion, stimulating the production of gastric juice, and will also serve as prevention of caries.
- Lie on a sofa or bed so that your head is suspended. Slowly raise and lower your head, without making any sudden movements, on the ascent try to reach your chin to the chest.
- Another exercise for the neck, which is well known to everyone since childhood - perhaps everyone was trying to get his tongue to the tip of the nose. It's time to repeat the fun of children. Reach for the nose with the tongue for 15-20 seconds, rest for 5 seconds. Do 10-20 reps.
- Starting position - sitting upright. Bottom to the chin, put two clenched fist, begin to lower the chin, and oppose with his fists, as in the static exercises described above. Keep the voltage for 30 seconds, then - 5 seconds rest. Do 20 repetitions.
- This neck exercise is from yoga. First maximize the lower jaw.. Now, keeping the position of the jaw, head up to the stop - you should feel the tension of the muscles of the cervical region. Then reduce the shoulder blades, taking the shoulders back - the tension should be even greater. And now stretch your lips forward, as if for a kiss. Now stay in this position for 30 seconds. Then relax. Repeat the exercise 5-8 times, gradually increasing its duration to 1 minute.
- Another exercise for the neck, which everyone probably did in childhood - it not only improves the silhouette of the neck, but also has a positive effect on posture. Take the book in bulk and walk with it on your head for 3-5 minutes.
- This exercise is very often performed by visitors of vocal lessons. It consists in holding the head straight, opening the mouth very wide, uttering the sounds I, O, U, N, E, A or (for convenience) drawing the combinations of MI, ME, MA, MO, ME, ME. Further, also opening the mouth wide, continue to pronounce the following combinations: KO-KO-KO, KA-KA-KA, KU-KU-KU, KE-KE-KE, PPPOOO, PPRAAA, PP-PSD, PPP-EEE, PPD. As an exercise, you can also loudly recite a verse with a large number of vowels A, O (for example, “The cat's house caught fire”), while the mouth must be wide open, all sounds are pronounced very clearly, the articulation must be very strong.
After you finish the neck exercises, apply a tightening cream or mask on the skin of the neck and face.
5. Pose "Thread in a needle"
This interesting exercise helps to simultaneously stretch the muscles of the neck, shoulders and back.
Get on all fours on the floor. Hold your right hand under the left, turning to the left.
Lower your right shoulder to the floor, turn your head so that your right ear is on the floor. The right hand should be straight.
If you can, stretch your left leg to touch the right palm. Take your left hand behind your back.
Try to turn the neck and shoulders so that you look at the ceiling. Now do the same in the other direction.
In this article there are even more good exercises from yoga, which will help to stretch the neck and shoulders, and here - options with a massage ball.
And we turn to exercises that will help you strengthen the muscles of the neck.
2. Removing the head forward with resistance
Stand up straight, place your hand on your forehead and gently push it down. Overcoming resistance, bring the head forward.
Repeat 10 times.
This exercise is performed to pump the upper part of the trapezius muscle.
Stand up straight, take the dumbbells, stretch your arms along the body. Raise and lower shoulders 10 times.
4. Lift neck lying
Lie on the floor and pull the neck forward and up. Repeat 10 times.
Lie on the floor, legs bent at the knees, feet and palms are on the floor. Lift the body into the incomplete bridge, resting on the head. Hold the weight on your hands, removing part of the load from the head. Hold the pose for 30–60 seconds.
A more advanced option is a bridge without hands, supported on the head. Do the exercise very carefully and only when you feel that the neck muscles are ready for this.
6. Reverse bridge
Place your legs so that the distance between them is twice the width of the shoulders. Bend forward without bending your knees. Place your hands and head on the floor so that you get a triangle. Gradually try to transfer body weight from hand to head.
Hold this pose for 30 seconds.
That's all. Strengthen and stretch the muscles of the neck, and you improve your posture and reduce the risk of injury in training.
Power load on the neck - is it necessary?
There are other exercises for the cervical spine associated with the use of weights. If you are not a professional athlete, they do not make sense. Why load neck flexors with pancakes when you can do without it.
The neck is formed by those muscles that are additionally pumped during hyperextension, deadlift and other exercises.
Moreover, the static load is much more useful than the dynamic. It allows you to strengthen the muscles of the neck without damaging them. But the neck injury is unacceptable. Especially if your cervical and already feels not the best way.
At this basic therapeutic exercises for the neck ends. Do it once a day, and your neck will be fine!
Complex and action of exercise therapy in osteochondrosis of the cervical spine
Physical therapy is assumed to be the main component in the treatment of osteochondrosis in any department. Cervical osteochondrosis often affects people who are engaged in statistical work.
This is explained by the fact that during static movements there is a constant and unrelenting load on the cervical region. The muscle layer is forced to hold for hours the wrong or uncomfortable position of both the neck and the entire spine.
That is why people engaged in sedentary work, constantly neck numb, there are unpleasant clicks, pain in the cervical region.
Cervical osteochondrosis is formed rather quickly, because the neck cannot resist external factors for a long time and almost immediately reacts to them with a headache. Osteochondrosis, with all the assurances of advertising, is incurable.
Sometimes its complications are difficult to reverse, but with the help of exercise therapy, the cervical region can be maintained and minimized negative consequences, including stopping the progression of osteochondrosis. Exercise therapy for osteochondrosis of the cervical spine acts much more efficiently than all drugs.
Often, a few exercises are enough to reduce pain and regain a normal state.
Recommendations for exercise therapy in osteochondrosis
Exercise therapy for osteochondrosis of the cervical spine will not require any expenditure on equipment from the patient. But some recommendations should be followed to make the classes as useful and safe for health as possible.
First of all, all movements should be soft and smooth. It is necessary to remember that any sharp inclination can cause severe pinching and even jam the neck. Load with exercise therapy is always increasing slowly. If any exercise fails, do not do it through force.
It is necessary to postpone and return to its implementation a little later. This is especially true in those moments when osteochondrosis worsened. In this case, it is necessary to postpone statistical exercises with a load. Fully switch to dynamic exercises.
They will relax the muscle layer and reduce the severity of pain.
During exercise, exercise therapy in osteochondrosis is necessary to monitor the pulse, breathing and temperature of the room. There should not be open balconies / vents / windows.
Breathing should be free, the pulse does not cause discomfort. If there is a feeling of lack of air, or the pulse rate becomes noticeably quicker, stop exercising.
With the recurrence or occurrence of such symptoms with a minimum load, a cardiologist must be visited.
Contraindications and indications for exercise therapy in osteochondrosis of the cervical spine
Exercise therapy for osteochondrosis is designed to improve blood circulation, strengthen the nutrition of tissues and internal organs. Gymnastics is necessary for those who have a weak muscular corset and frequent exacerbations.
You also need to do exercises for prevention, if there are provoking factors. Osteochondrosis will definitely appear when working at a computer and with a sedentary lifestyle.
The question is only in time and severity.
Exercise therapy improves mobility, restores brain nutrition and returns to normal metabolic processes. Exercise also returns an opportunity to improve the quality of life, eliminating pain. But exercise therapy has contraindications that must be excluded. Some diseases allow exercises to relieve osteochondrosis of the cervical spine, but in a gentle manner.
The presence of others categorically excludes classes:
- changes in the fundus,
- tachycardia and hypertension, including hypertension,
- tumors of any organ and locality, regardless of malignancy,
- acute viral diseases, active infections of any kind.
Special prohibition is imposed on exercise therapy in case of the threat of bleeding and blood diseases. That is why the first need to consult a specialist on the profile.
Useful exercises in any situation
At work or on the street, we cannot do full-fledged exercises, but some movements can help relieve pain even in such conditions. The first exercise is simple: find support and lean on her hands from behind.
Then we shift the weight on the arms in this position and stretch ourselves forward, standing on the toes. The movement is smooth, do not twitch immediately up. Slowly stretched out and then we slowly squat down, continuing to lean back hands.
Head must be tilted forward when squatting. Fix each position for a few seconds.
Exercise two: become straight or sit down, put your hand on your forehead. Then press the frontal area with the palm and resist the pressure with the head. Perform carefully, the neck should not strain. Resistance is achieved only through the stop of the head itself. On the exercise of this program, exercise therapy takes 15-20 seconds.
The third exercise: also begin as the second, just add a second hand. Hand placed on the area of the beginning of the neck. One hand presses on the forehead, the other fixes the neck and creates pressure from the palm. Resist the head for about 5 seconds if there is no pain when performing.
The following exercise is built on the strength of resistance. We put a hand on one part of the head from the side and begin to put some pressure on it. The head resists pressure.These exercises from exercise therapy for osteochondrosis help to support the cervical region outside the home.
Complex exercises for cervical osteochondrosis
At home, you need to do exercises aimed not only at weakening the muscle layer, but also at strengthening them. For this, a combination of dynamic and static tasks is used. Greater emphasis should be placed on the second option, in which the muscles tighten and quickly relax without excessive load.
The starting position for the next class is the same, but the elements are different. Starting position: become smooth, breathe slowly and stretch up behind the hands. Then smoothly exhale and calmly give up. Again, slowly inhale and turn the body, extending his hand in the same direction. Exhale and again the original.
Equal position for exercise. Turns of the head: left-right-back-forward. Repetitions should be synchronous, the number of bends and turns equal for each direction. If the head is thrown back painfully, exclude this element, return a little later.
Legs at shoulder width, arms straight around. Slowly start the “wheel”: rotating your hands in a circle. At first slowly, calmly. If the pain does not occur, increase the amplitude, but gradually. This exercise is not only for cervical osteochondrosis, but also for the shoulder.
We lay down on the floor, restore breathing. If necessary, do breathing exercises. Then turned on the stomach, a good and slow breath.
Then we raise our hands in front of us, fix it up for a few seconds and exhale while at the same time returning to the original one.
Then we also do a “swallow” while lying down: arms on the sides, lift the legs and head up. In this way it is necessary to arch and depict "take-off."
Static exercises differ from dynamic ones in that they require maximum stress from muscle tissue. Such stress is given to the cervical region in the wrong position, long stay in an uncomfortable position. Let the neck be very mobile and flexible, it reacts sharply to constant static loads.
Any dynamic exercise can be made static if several conditions are met:
- attached maximum muscle strength, but the exercises are done slowly,
- applied complex with a burden with a minimum amplitude of movement,
- use your weight as a load, straining your muscles as much as possible.
But we must remember that such exercises can cause pain, be uncomfortable. Especially in the period of exacerbations of chronic osteochondrosis. It is necessary to combine both types in order to return to the neck the usual functions. Classes should be conducted regularly, not only at the time of the pains themselves. By maintaining muscle tone, you can slow down the progression of the spine disease.
General tips for practicing
It should be understood that osteochondrosis does not stop at only one department. In time, the cervical chondrosis will necessarily pass into the thoracic one and will further involve other departments. Therefore, you can not limit yourself to exercise only for the cervical spine. As a prevention, you can perform one or two exercises that are aimed at stabilizing the thoracic section.
You need to lie on the floor, straighten up and pull one leg towards you. Holding her, you need to make turning movements as if you are trying to attach this foot to the floor. Do not strongly pull the legs, it is enough to make several attempts and fix for a few seconds. Then do the same with the second leg.
Several approaches to each will help to relax and reduce the tone of the muscles of the thoracic region.
The second exercise is also simple, familiar from childhood: “cat”. Getting on all fours on the floor, you need to stretch slowly forward and raise your head. Then also “roll back” smoothly back and bend, head down. So does any cat when it sniffs from a dream.
This exercise will restore the blood supply to the spine and help the neck.
Persistence and prevention are much more effective than any therapy. Our spine is very difficult to medicinal effect, it is rarely possible to even anesthetize it with the help of tablets. Only exercise directly affects the cause and helps prevent the progress of diseases. Only select the complex for training is necessary after consultation with a neurologist.
Isometric exercises for neck muscles
Exercises for the muscles of the neck help to create a "calling card" of well-developed athletes and especially wrestlers. To overcome an opponent who has lagging behind the neck muscles, it is enough to grab his head.
Therefore, the image of the "penetrative" macho is inextricably linked with a powerful neck.
To check the correctness of these words, we will try to go from the reverse - let's imagine a melancholic offended at all and the whole. It is unlikely that a man with a muscular neck and a bent head will arise in front of his mind.
But a strong neck is not only the lot of real men. Beauty-watching beauties also pay great attention to this part of the body. After all, the proud landing of the head is nothing but the ability of developed muscles to do their job well.
First of all, we need neck muscles not for the beauty and perfection of the image. They are necessary to hold the head in vertical and other positions, turns, bends and rotations in different directions.
Muscles of the neck, which are in good shape, are a guarantee of the health of the cervical region, the absence of osteochondrosis and other problems with the spine.
1) Lie down with your back on the floor and press it with the back of your head.
2) Lie on your stomach on the floor and push it with your forehead.
3) Lie on your left side on the floor, your head rests on your left hand biceps, push it down on your arm. Then change the original position of the body to the opposite side.
4) Sitting at the table, elbows - on the tabletop, palm - on the forehead. Press your forehead into your arms.
5) Sitting at the table, the elbow of his left hand - on the tabletop, the left side of the head rests on the palm. Press it on the palm. Then do a static exercise for the other side.
6) Sitting on a chair or standing, coupled in a castle brush - behind his head. Overcoming resistance, press the back of your head on the palm.
7) The starting position is similar to the previous position, the left side of the head rests on the palm of the left hand (the elbow is pointing to the side). Press on the palm. Then do an exercise for the neck on the right side.
8) The left palm lies on the head tilted to the left. Overcoming the resistance of the arm, try to straighten the neck to a vertical position. To do on the other side.
The neck exercises described in paragraphs 4–8 are excellent as an exercise in the office. Especially since the warm-up of the neck that is “sore” from the sedentary work is one of the most effective methods to relieve fatigue and tension in the cervical spine.
When doing isometric exercises for the neck muscles, you should proceed with caution. Especially prudence does not hurt those who are just beginning the first steps in isometry and have a not very healthy spine.
- "Isometric exercises for the deltoid muscles",
- "Isometric exercises for the muscles of the legs."
Exercises, gymnastics and physical therapy for chest and cervical osteochondrosis
When osteochondrosis in the cervical and thoracic spine, people pay attention primarily to exercises that are aimed at relieving pain, relieving inflammation and improving blood flow in the body. These exercises are called exercise therapy or therapeutic exercises.
If a person already suffers from a disease in the abdominal area of the press or cervical posture, then physical therapy is necessary for him constantly. Charging in the morning, running will strengthen the body, and strengthening the body, in particular muscles, prevent diseases from developing and moving into more difficult stages.
Emphasis should be placed on the development of the neck and back.
It is important that all physical education is done daily. Perhaps, if the doctor prescribes any additional procedures, they will need to undergo. Among the additions are distinguished physical therapy and massage. They also contribute to a speedy recovery.
Appointment of physical therapy for the thoracic and cervical: pros and cons
The initial indications for treatment are as follows:
- Pain emanating from the neck or press section of the spine.
- The manifestation of osteochondrosis, even minor.
- Damaged intervertebral discs.
It is impossible to appoint exercise therapy in the following cases:
- Acute osteochondrosis.
- Period after surgery in the cervical or thoracic spine.
- Diseases of the chronic type.
- illnesses in which coordination is disturbed.
- Problems with the vestibular apparatus.
- The peak of any disease is infectious or inflammatory.
- High pressure.
- Violation of the rhythm of the heart muscle (arrhythmia).
With osteochondrosis, physiotherapy and exercise therapy should begin only after one and a half hours from eating. Normal charging is done in the morning.
The benefits of gymnastics and its features
With osteochondrosis, gymnastics and exercise therapy quickly give a positive effect. Charging is also useful with this work plan. In many patients, positive dynamics are already visible after a couple of classes.
Pain in the neck and thoracic spine subsides, along with inflammatory processes.
However, each person has his own characteristics and his own course of the disease, and therefore the effect is manifested at different stages of training.
Immediately there is no effect? You can not give up and throw classes. A little later, the result of exercise therapy will be felt. This is if gymnastics from osteochondrosis is chosen correctly. Otherwise, the condition may deteriorate sharply. Before choosing a training program, you should get an appointment with a skilled specialist.
- The muscles of the back and shoulder girdle are strengthened, due to this the development of the disease may stop.
- In the thoracic and cervical region of the spine, blood flow will improve significantly. Useful substances will come in large volumes, which will allow to recover faster.
- Inflammation will eventually disappear.
- Pain will be less and less felt.
- Posture will get the right look - even.
- A positive trend in the direction of weight loss will manifest immediately.
It is important to alternate static and dynamic loads - this will affect the speed of recovery. In the network a huge number of movements from the disease of the back of the thoracic and cervical spine can be viewed on the video.
Tips for charging
Charging, exercise therapy and gymnastics do not require cash investments. All that is needed is sports-type clothing, a non-slip mat and chair.
Basic tips for the correct course of treatment:
- To show the course of movements to an experienced specialist, and he will already finalize the course for your particular needs.
- The first exercise and lfc for cervical disease should be no longer than half an hour and have one approach of each exercise. Further, the number of approaches and repetitions must be increased.
- The first classes should be like a place with a coach, who will point out the incorrect implementation of approaches. When you understand the principle of each movement, then the coach can be abandoned and carry it all at home.
- During the exacerbation of the disease can not be engaged. This can lead to the development of a more serious stage of the disease.
- Exercises aimed at the neck and thoracic spine should be smooth and slow.
- Circular movements of the head or throwing it backwards are prohibited.
- Pulling complexes of movements to do only under the supervision of a specialist. Otherwise, it will be difficult to avoid injuries, the technique of physical education is very complex and unique.
This complex includes exercises of both static and dynamic load, extending to the cervicothoracic region.Charging is not included here, because these exercises are designed specifically for people who suffer from this disease.
If you do not understand the technique of execution, you can watch video tutorials on certain movements. In them everything will be clearly described, intelligible language. You don't have to do the whole complex, you can make a couple of views, but with the right technique.
Objective factors and symptoms
The organism of a modern person is constantly exposed to various stresses that cause tension in the neck muscles. Over time, this spasm increases, causing an overstrain in deep muscle tissue. They, in turn, exert pressure on the nerves and vessels located in close proximity. All this leads to unpleasant sensations.
Another problem that brings a lot of unpleasant and painful sensations is the stretching of the neck muscles - microscopic tears in the muscle fibers. Its symptoms include:
- the presence of pain,
- swelling of tissues and hematomas,
- decrease or loss of mobility in the region of the cervical spine,
- cramps, loss and decrease in sensitivity in the shoulder girdle, arms or legs.
There are many reasons for such injuries and conditions:
- the lack of any fitness of this part of the body,
- failure to comply with the rules in the process of physical exercise
- uncomfortable sleeping position
- overstrain during increased intensity of exercise,
- blows, falls, sharp movements.
How to strengthen the muscles of the neck
The most simple and affordable prophylactic is the use of small physical exertion. Regularly doing exercises to strengthen the muscles of the neck, you can ensure that it becomes more relaxed, mobile and flexible, the feeling of heaviness will disappear. You can also reduce the spasm, and eventually achieve its complete disappearance.
Features of the exercise
Before you begin to exercise, you need to consult a doctor. In the absence of any contraindications, you can proceed to the implementation of the complex, adhering to the following mandatory rules.
- It should be remembered that the neck is part of the spine, one of the most fragile parts of the human body. That is why you need to do the exercises carefully.
- The pace of execution is determined on the basis of overall well-being. As a rule, it is slow or moderate.
- In the process of working with muscles, in no case do not make sudden movements and jerks.
- The number of repetitions in each type of exercise is 5 times.
- During the run you need to monitor the position of the back - it must be straight. At first, it is advisable to do exercises in front of a mirror in order to be able to control the technique of performance.
- The regularity of classes at least three times a week.
- If any discomfort occurs, you should immediately stop exercising.
- Run the head tilts alternately back and forth.
- Tilt your head to the right, then straighten your neck and tilt to the left.
- Bend your head to the right shoulder, then, touching the chest with your chin, roll to the left. Repeat in the opposite direction.
- Variation of the previous one, but with roll on the back.
This complex includes several isometric exercises and elements of therapeutic gymnastics by Dr. A.Yu.Shishonin. For all exercises, the original position: sitting straight, back and neck straight.
- Put palms on forehead, forearms parallel to the floor. To put pressure on the forehead and, overcoming resistance, to strain the posterior muscle groups. Do the same by putting your hands to the back of your head.
- To strengthen the lateral muscle group. Keep your head straight, tilt it to one shoulder, linger for 15 seconds, return to the starting one. Do the same in the opposite direction.
- To strengthen the anterior and posterior muscle groups.Stretch your head into the ceiling, slightly lowering your chin, linger for 15 seconds, then gently move it forward and slightly up and stop again for a while.
- To improve coordination. Head forward, pulling the neck, fix the pose. Then, drawing an arc with his chin, reach for the armpit, linger for 15 seconds. Return to the original position. In the other direction do the same.
- To work with suboccipital muscle group. Turning your head to the maximum left, try to slightly raise the chin and fix the pose for 15 seconds. Relax, returning to the starting position. Repeat in the opposite direction.
- For the development of the neck neck muscles. Having clasped the left shoulder with the palm of the right hand, pressing on it, stretch the elbow forward and upward. At the same time, the head is turned to the right and presses the chin into the right shoulder. Hold for 15 seconds. Repeat symmetrically to the second side.
- Attach the palm of the right hand to the temple, put pressure on this area and, overcoming resistance, strain the lateral muscle group of the neck. Do the same on the left side.
Performing these simple exercises not only strengthens the muscles, but also gives a feeling of clarification in the head, psychological comfort, there is lightness and clarity in thoughts. All of the above are nice gymnastics bonuses, due to improved blood circulation in the neck and head.
Isometric exercise to strengthen the muscles of the neck
These exercises are recommended by major specialists dealing with neck and back problems; they use isometric (without movement) tension of the neck muscles to strengthen them.
Making each movement, maintain a vertical position, the so-called "noble posture." During the exercise, the head and neck practically do not have to move.
Start by placing both hands on your forehead. Slowly and smoothly push your head forward, simultaneously pushing it with your hands with the same force. Strengthen resistance gently and gradually, but do not exceed half the maximum muscle tension. Hold this state for 2-5 seconds, and then relax.
Put your hands behind the central part of the head, clasping your fingers. Slowly and smoothly move your head back, while resisting this movement with your hands. Hold the tension for 2-5 seconds. Lower your arms and relax. You can perform this exercise 2-3 times a week, but in no case should it cause painful sensations.
5-second posture check: Sit upright and relax.
Whenever and wherever you sit down, you should take care to make a short pause and choose the most balanced, comfortable posture. Here's how to do it: first, sit up straight, do not hunch.
Buttocks and upper legs should be in the center of the seat.
Tilting in any direction causes a shift in the center of gravity, which will cause tension and restriction of blood circulation if you remain in this unbalanced pose for a long time.
Armrests can lift 25% of the load from the lower back and provide stability and support when you change body position.
Try not to sit on your wallet, car keys, pen, comb or checkbook.
In Ireland, a study was published showing that in some cases, chronic back pain completely disappeared in male patients after they stopped carrying their thick wallets in their back pocket.
When you sit up straight, your chest and shoulders slightly protrude forward while flexing the joints of your hips / buttocks. This ensures the position of the buttocks and lower body in the center of the seat. Then smoothly move the upper part of the body to the back of the seat.
If you want to cross your legs, do it in the ankles.Crossing the legs at the knees disturbs the correct position of the pelvis and can lead to muscle tension and back pain if you do not change this position quickly enough.
Whenever possible, place your feet flat on the floor. Here is another good option: put one foot on the crossbar of the chair or, by pushing it slightly forward, place it on a low bench.
In order to find the best individual posture when sitting, first balance the position of the neck, closing your eyes, gently tilt your head to the left and right, and then return to the starting position. Slightly tilt your head forward, then back and return to the point that you feel is the center point of the position.
In order to balance the position of the torso, repeat this exercise, but only with the hips / buttocks.
Neck exercises: tips and tricks
The neck is a very vulnerable place. Every day she has to keep her head for most of the day. It performs many important functions. You can make sure of this, given that in case of fracture of the cervical vertebrae, a person may die or there is complete paralysis of the upper and lower extremities.
In various diseases of this part of the spine, the work of cardiac activity, respiration, and blood supply to the brain is impaired. Long sitting work at the computer, the table leads to painful sensations in the neck.
There is such a pain and the drivers for a long time behind the wheel. To prevent the development of serious diseases and possible complications, it is necessary to perform exercises for the neck.
This warm-up contributes to the beautiful look of the neck, makes it young and elegant again.
Sitting before work
This set of exercises is important to do before the loads. It only takes a few minutes to do this, but it will help strengthen the neck muscles for a long position in a sitting posture. People suffering from osteochondrosis and other diseases of this department are also recommended to perform the following warm-up:
- Bend your head alternately back and forth.
- Turn right, then left.
- Perform circular movements of the head several times in one direction, then in the other.
- The shoulders should also carry out circular movements first forward, after - in the opposite direction.
It is necessary to carry out the warm-up complex, being in the position: legs shoulder-width apart.
To reduce pain
These neck exercises promote muscle relaxation and pain relief. With their help, you can prevent serious illnesses.
- Standing Hands down, relax. Bend your head, pressing your chin slightly to your chest. Step by step, unsharp movements try to press it harder. Repeat at least ten times.
- Standing Raise your shoulders as much as possible. Stay in this position for a few seconds. Shoulders lower, relax. Do ten times.
- Standing or sitting. Turn your head to the right, stay in that position for a couple of seconds. Change to the left side. Movement should be smooth. Repeat up to ten times.
- Standing or sitting. Bend your head to the chest, while pulling up the chin. Run ten times.
- Sitting down Put your palm on the forehead. Rest your head on the palm, and hand to resist. Do seconds ten to fifteen. Repeat ten times.
- Lying or sitting. Fingers intensively massage the area of the scapula from the upper part, heading for the spine. Such a massage to do about four to five minutes.
- Lying or sitting. Massage the area between the occipital bone and its soft part.
- Standing or sitting. Hands put on the back of the head. Raise the head down, resisting hands. Repeat up to fifteen times.
- Standing or sitting. Tilt, lowering the left ear to the left shoulder as much as possible. The same movement with the left side. But the shoulders do not need to lift.
- Lying on the stomach. Put your hands behind your neck.In this position, lift the head and upper body up. Do about ten times.
Such a warm-up can be done in the morning after waking up, for a long time in a sitting position, after a working day. In the early stages, it may be accompanied by a slight pain, but every day the discomfort will decrease.
For a beautiful neck
These exercises for the muscles of the neck with their regular conduct will help not only relieve the symptoms of diseases of the cervical region, but also make the neck beautiful. Starting position with such a complex - standing, legs apart, hands down.
- Raised head upwards turn from right to left and vice versa. Do at least ten repetitions.
- Head down to perform turns of the head from one side to the other and vice versa. Repeat ten times.
- Hands folded in the "lock" under the chin. To create resistance with your hands, and with your chin to try to push hard on your hands for about ten seconds. Then relax. Do the exercise ten times.
- Lower jaw to move left - right, then down and up. Run about fifteen times. Such an exercise will help get rid of double chin.
- Standing or sitting. Hold the pen with your mouth trying to draw letters or numbers in the air.
When conducting such exercises, it is important to adhere to basic recommendations.
- the back must be flat,
- breathe calmly without holding breaths or exhaling
- to relieve pain and strengthen muscles, exercises should be done regularly,
- at first you can hear a crunch or a pop in the neck, they are not dangerous and pass with time,
- For greater effect, use these types of movements: extension and flexion, stretching and stretching, rotation.
Exercises for the neck and its muscles Link to main publication
Exercises for neck muscles - exercise at home
Any person involved in sports, pays enough attention to the legs, hands, the press, etc., consistently working through each group of muscles. Being engaged in fitness, do not forget about the neck, because her muscles also need to be developed and trained.
It is necessary to perform special exercises for the muscles of the neck in order to look harmonious and beautiful. It is the neck that can give out age, and this especially upsets the representatives of the beautiful half of humanity.
If you do not take care of her and train her, she will become flabby and will bring nothing but disappointment to her owner.
Many of the exercises for the neck and cervical vertebra are stretch-oriented, due to which the neck becomes flexible.
Such exercises for the neck muscles help relieve tension and tightness, it is especially useful for office workers who lead a passive lifestyle and people who spend a lot of time on the PC.
To avoid injuries, all exercises should be performed calmly and carefully, without jerks and effort.
Both women and men will benefit from the following exercises for the neck muscles (remember that you should always keep your head straight in the initial position) - warm up first. Warming exercises are performed 4 times.
- The head leans to the left, the lower jaw also tends to the left side, returning to the starting position. The same thing is being done, but now to the right.
- Head tilts forward - to its original position - back.
- Rotation of the head: tilting forward - to the right, towards the shoulder, - tilting backwards - to the left towards the shoulder. Returned to the starting position and doing the same, but to the left.
So, you have warmed up, now is the time to apply exercises to strengthen the muscles of the neck.
- We lay down on the stomach, this will be our starting position. Fully relax. Arrangement of hands - along the body, palms look up. The chin should be flush with the body. Slowly turn your head to the right side, trying to touch the floor with your left ear, return to the starting position.Then turn the same way to the left, just trying to get the floor with your right ear. Repeat 10 times, over time, increase the load.
- Starting position - sitting. Having bent the neck, we pull the chin to the chest as much as possible and gently fold our head back, trying to look as far as possible. Bend as you exhale, as you inhale, we unbend. We do everything very smoothly, up to 10 times.
- Fingers clench into fists and stretch them in front of you at the neck, connecting both fists. We are trying to lean our chin and strongly press them on the hands, which have a strong resistance, bending the head forward. Do this exercise for ten seconds three times. Over time, increase the number of repetitions to fifteen times.
- The original sitting position. Making energetic head turns to the sides. We start slowly, gradually accelerating. Only 25 turns. This exercise helps to fight stagnation in the vertebral region.
- In the horizontal plane it is as if we are pecking grain like a bird. We perform it very slowly and carefully, otherwise there is a risk of pinching the cervical nerves.
- We sit and draw in the air all the numbers from 1 to 9. These exercises for the neck muscles perfectly stretch it, making the ligaments much more elastic, and the neck flexible.
Developing the neck, it is necessary to perform and exercises for the muscles of the shoulder girdle. We stand straight, we put our feet on the width of the shoulders, slightly bending the knees. At the level of the chest we bring our hands in front of us, closing the forearms. Raise and lower your arms in front of you 10 times.
Raising the last time, we linger at the highest point for 8 seconds. Only 2 approaches. Next, we spread our arms to the sides, bending the elbows. Raise and lower shoulders. You can move your hands back to the side and return to the starting position. Also 10 repetitions in 2 sets.
Over time, we increase the number of approaches to three.
After a month you will notice the results of the exercises. Training and strengthening of the neck helps to eliminate headaches, there are many vessels and nerve endings, so regular training of the cervical zone relieves salt deposits, stiffness and stagnation in tissues.
Neck Training Program Edit
- Warm up
- Choose 1 exercise on the back of the neck, nodding, trapezium and delta.
- Perform on 1 approach with 12-15 repetitions (the order does not matter)
- The neck muscles are pumped about once a week (can be combined with the day of the shoulders and back workouts), usually at the end of the session
Exercises on the back of the neck Edit
Neck extension lying on a bench with a disc
- Take a disc from a bar of a suitable weight.
- Lie on a horizontal bench, so that the shoulders are flush with the edge of the bench, the look is directed to the floor.
- Attach the disc to the back of the head.
- Slowly bend and then unbend the neck gradually expanding the amplitude of movement.
Neck straightening with harness
- Put your harness on your head
- Attach a suitable drive.
- Perform flexion and extension of the neck in a comfortable amplitude.
Exercises on sneak muscles Edit
Flexing the neck lying on a bench with a disc
- Take a disc of a suitable weight.
- Lie on a horizontal bench on your back, so that the head and neck hang down from the edge
- Attach a disk to the forehead (it is advisable to cover the forehead with a towel)
- Perform flexion (touching the chest with the chin) and extension (in a comfortable amplitude) movements in the cervical spine
Touching the chin with a towel
- Find a partner to do the exercise
- Sit on a sloping bench at a 45 degree angle
- Put a towel on your forehead
- Ask your partner to stand in the back and take both ends of the towel in different hands.
- Perform a nodding motion, touching the chin of the chest, while your partner must resist with a towel