It is not in vain that an orthopedic corset for the lower back is so popular among people, because the lower part of the spinal column is considered to be the most problematic area in the human body. It is not surprising, the joints in this area are constantly under pressure from the upper torso, and during the whole period when a person is standing, walking, and just moving, it is the lower back that is subject to active wear.
Of course, nature has made our skeleton resilient in this part of the body, but often the vertebrae do not cope with their work due to stress, and we get sharp pains and chronic diseases at least. To correct the situation or prevent it, people actively began to use a supporting and fixing medical treatment corset for the lower back. Only their types there is a lot, and the litigation of choice all the more relevant. Consider some important points of choosing a corset, how to understand whether it will be comfortable or not, are there any particularities of wearing, rules, contraindications and so on? See also: exercises for relieving tension from the waist.
Using a corset after surgery
Doctors prescribe a person to wear a postoperative corset on the lumbar spine in order to solve this list of tasks:
- reduce pain,
- make support area with injury
- increase the rate of scarring of seams,
- improve blood flow
- accelerate the recovery of muscle tone.
Using a bandage for the loins, it is important to understand that its effectiveness will depend entirely on the correct selection and wearing. Otherwise, you can harm yourself even more.
Types of operations and assigned corsets
Hernias in the spine, especially in the lumbar spine, are a common problem in humans. And not only because of an active lifestyle and heavy loads, they can occur, a sedentary and even a sedentary person may experience such a disease, especially if he has osteochondrosis. It is very difficult and senseless to ignore a hernia in the spine, when they put pressure on the nerves, and we feel pain.
Yes, there are many options to get rid of this ailment, using massage, pills, injections and so on. But it is effective with small deviations from the norm, if the case is neglected, then it is necessary to do the operation.
There are two options for orthopedic brace in such cases:
- Appointed during the period of therapeutic action. When used for hernias that have already been set, for the bandage to hold them, not allowing them to fall back.
- Assignable after operations.
After the operation to fix the spine, using transplants, the patient is prescribed a long course of rehabilitation. For a start, you need a week to lie in bed. Then a special bandage with increased rigidity is prescribed and allowed to move using crutches. All this lasts about 3-4 months. But full rehabilitation takes about two years.
Spinal compression fracture and corset
The problem itself occurs when the vertebrae are strongly bent or compressed, resulting in damage. This very serious injury is treated taking into account the characteristics of the patient himself. In addition to a variety of rehabilitation procedures, an orthopedic corset is also used for compression of the lumbar spine, prescribed by a doctor.
Basically, the bandage must be worn for those who have damaged more than 2 vertebrae. If you look at the statistics, more than 75% of children with spinal problems need such orthopedic devices. The bandage itself helps to cope with such items:
- Improves efficacy and speeds up treatment.
- As much as possible does not move the vertebrae, as far as possible, which is very important for operations.
- By reducing the load on the spine itself, its recovery is accelerated.
- Although it is not possible to completely eliminate the pain, it still becomes not so strong, and the use of special pain medications allows it to be made completely tolerable.
- Most often makes it possible to move without the help of someone. But it already depends on the level of injury.
Device selection options
The correct choice is made on the basis of various factors that are associated with the trauma of the patient. These include: age, location of the problem, damage strength, and more.
It must be remembered that only your doctor should prescribe a corset. You can not make the choice of a device. Moreover, it is better to order a bandage than to buy ready-made options, so that it is most suitable for the body.
If the orthopedic corset is correctly selected for the lower back, it will be:
- well and firmly fix the spine in the desired position,
- repeat the correct bend of the spine
- free to flow blood to the place of occurrence of pain and not interfere with breathing.
You also need to pay attention to the material from which the corset is made. It must pass air through itself so that the body can “breathe” and not sweat and itch.
Corset or exercise when the vertebrae are displaced
A question from our reader. Hello, I have shifted the vertebra in the lower back, is it possible to use a bandage, or can only exercise help?
When the spine is displaced, which is called spondylolisthesis, especially in the lumbar region, a violation of the integrity of even the spinal cord can form. In general, this is very bad for a person, and there is a big risk of irreversible consequences if you do not stop further aggravation.
Using a corset to move the lumbar vertebrae is considered not a particularly effective way to solve this problem. This is due to the fact that after removing the bandage, you can get another shift of the vertebrae back. You need to engage in strengthening the muscular system near the spine, using special exercises for this, which must be prescribed by the attending physician.
Having received strong muscles as a result of training, with their help the body fixes the position of all vertebrae in the right place, where they belong. Moreover, further deformation will stop, which is necessary in the treatment of such a problem. But more information you can provide only a doctor who takes into account all the necessary factors for decision-making in the appointment of even the same orthopedic corset, if it is necessary. We do not recommend treating yourself.
Bandage corset with adjustable stiffness for the waist
During the passage of a course of treatment, using a corset with the ability to adjust stiffness, it is convenient to customize it for individual requirements. Let's consider the option of using a lumbar bandage-corset of variable stiffness, provided that a person has a hernia.
The disease itself is quite complex, and is accompanied by acute pain in the lumbar region. A person needs to urgently make a fixation of the back to remain stationary in the lumbar part of the body. In such a bandage corset there is the possibility of installing special patch plates, which make the necessary fixation.
After some time, when the general condition of the person returns to normal, the doctor recommends him to give a small load on the back muscles in order to resume the tone and make it the same. For this, other orthopedic stiffening ribs are used, which allow making small movements in amplitude without harming the spine.
The last stage begins with the final withdrawal of pain.It is necessary to completely unfasten the clips and get even greater mobility.
How to properly wear and wear a corset for the lower back?
On how to properly wear a corset for the lumbar spine, will generally depend on its effectiveness on the human body. Yes, the main position you must tell the attending physician. But some tips on this topic will not be harmful.
- More than 6 hours, wearing a bandage is not recommended. Although there are situations where a person needs a strong fixation. Then the period reaches even 12 hours, but it is very dangerous to do this without consulting a doctor.
- It is impossible to sleep with a worn orthopedic corset.
- To prevent the back muscles from starting to atrophy, it is necessary to use the device before starting to load the back, or when pain arises.
- Wear a bandage on cotton underwear, so as not to appear rubbed places on the body. T-shirts or T-shirts are great for such purposes.
- You do not need to tightly fasten the corset, because it will block the normal access of blood to the tissues and organs.
In any case, the first time trying on a corset is necessary under the supervision of a doctor. Moreover, his choice should be made not on the recommendation of familiar people, but only specialists who are engaged in your treatment.
How to choose a corset for the spine?
If you decide to buy a corset for the spine or wear such an orthopedic product you are advised by a doctor, then the choice should be taken very seriously. After all, an incorrectly chosen corset on the spine will not only not help to correct the problem, but may cause additional and irreparable damage to your health.
Why do I need a corset for the spine
Sometimes for the treatment of diseases of the spine is not enough medications and exercises. In such cases, a perfect ally in the fight against the disease will be the corsets for the spine. These orthopedic products can not only relieve back pain, but also straighten posture, as well as correct the curvature of the spine with scoliosis. They are perfect for supporting the spinal column after surgery, etc.
An orthopedic corset for the spine provides relief for problem areas of the spine due to the support provided by a properly selected and worn product. Squeezing elements provide an increased tone of the muscles of the back, as well as additional stabilization of the spinal column. This leads to a decrease in pressure on the intervertebral discs, which stops their further degenerative changes and displacement, as well as deformation of the vertebrae. The corset provides a long stay of the spine in the correct position, and this contributes to the cessation of the development of curvature and postural disorders.
Corset copes with posture
High-quality orthopedic corset for the spine provides:
- reduction of pain in diseases of the spine, its injuries,
- excellent support and restriction of unnecessary movements after operations and traumatic injuries,
- posture correction,
- gradual straightening of the spinal column with scoliosis,
- strengthening of blood circulation and metabolism in the damaged tissues of the spinal column (this ability is especially pronounced in the warming corset belt),
- prevention of pathology of the musculoskeletal system with increased loads on the spine.
Indications for wearing:
- chronic pain in the back,
- recovery period after spinal surgery and traumatic injuries,
- scoliosis and other types of spinal curvature of varying severity,
- for unloading the spinal column during heavy physical work, with a long stay in the same working posture,
- it is recommended to use a children's corset during the period of posture formation or during its pathological types,
- prevention of various diseases of the spine,
- period of exacerbation of sciatica, osteochondrosis,
- Osteoporosis and prevention of its complications, especially recommended by doctors to wear a corset for compressive fractures of the spine, in order to avoid damage to the spinal cord,
- treatment and prevention of intervertebral hernia.
Important to remember! Wearing a corset for the back can anyone willing to get rid of the pain or protect your spine from damage. That's just necessary to choose the product, because there are so many types of such products with different functions and purpose. If this choice is made thoughtlessly and incorrectly, then you can only harm your health.
The first thing to consider when choosing such a product is that there are elastic bandages, orthopedic corsets and anti-radiculitis belts. They are often confused, but these are completely different things. An example of an elastic bandage is prenatal or postpartum, which women often use to provide additional support for the abdomen and lower back. An example of a protivoradikulitnogo belt can be a heating product for the lumbar of wool.
Orthopedic corsets, as a rule, in addition to the elastic component, have supporting and correcting ones, which are represented by metal stiffeners and various plastic elements, as well as additional fasteners (buckles and straps). Thanks to this type of construction, it is possible to bring the shape of the product for the spine as close as possible to the anatomical shapes of the human spine, which provides maximum protection and support.
Hard orthopedic corset
According to their functional purpose, all orthopedic corsets are divided into the following types:
- corrective - designed to support the spinal column, prevent its curvature, for the correction of defects of posture,
- fixing - limit movement in the spine, which is necessary for successful rehabilitation after operations, injuries, with an exacerbation of the disease of the back with severe pain, for the correction of various kinds of deformities.
Depending on the degree of rigidity, they are divided into:
- Hard models that are prescribed only by doctors for special reasons. They securely fix the spine, limiting all unnecessary movements. Most often they are shown at the recovery stage after operations, injuries, when correcting pronounced spinal deformities (in the latter case, bandages are often made to order by individual measures).
- Semi-rigid models that are used to unload the spine, they also have a massage and warming effect. The indications for wearing them are pain in the back associated with osteochondrosis, heavy physical labor, staying for a long time in the same working posture, preventing the development or progression of dorsopathies.
- There are also soft products, but, as we already know, they are not classified as corsets. Correctly call such products bandages. They are made of durable and elastic fabric without additional fixing elements, the inner surface of such bandages is made of dog or camel hair. They improve blood circulation, warm. Designed to reduce pain in neurological vertebral diseases, for example, sciatica, radiculitis.
Semi-rigid corset for the thoracic and lumbar spine
Depending on the part of the spine for which the orthopedic corset is intended, there are:
- corset for the lumbar - worn on the lumbar region, covers the lower part of the thoracic spine and sacral,
- lumbosacral corset - captures the entire lumbosacral spine,
- corset for the lumbar and thoracic - put on the thoracic and lumbar spine (the most common type of corset).
We should also highlight the magnetic posture corrector, which, apart from all the described functions and abilities, has an additional therapeutic effect, thanks to the built-in magnetic elements inside the product.
It is also important to understand that a corset for the cervical spine is a completely different type of orthopedic products. It is used mainly for injuries or operations on the cervical spine. Such a product is called a fixator for the cervical spine.
Contraindications to wear
Before you buy an orthopedic corset, you should consult with your doctor. This is necessary even when you do not have diseases of the spine, and you get a corset for preventive purposes. The fact is that there may be other contraindications for wearing such a product:
- Recently conducted surgery in the area of the body, which is put on a corset. This can lead to suppuration of the postoperative wound, seam divergence, the development of postoperative hernia or bleeding.
- Reflux disease of the esophagus or another segment of the gastrointestinal tract, as compression of the abdomen will contribute to the progression of symptoms.
- Skin diseases in the field of putting on the product.
- Allergy to corset material.
- Diseases that are accompanied by edema (pathology of the kidneys, liver, heart failure).
Reflux esophagitis - contraindication to wearing a corset
Tips for choosing
You can choose a medical orthopedic corset based on the following recommendations:
We advise you to read:
How to massage during protrusion of the lumbar spine?
- First you need to decide on what type of corset you need, choose the appropriate degree of rigidity and choose products for a particular spine. It is necessary to do this only with a specialist.
- Then you need to find the right size. The fact is that a large product will not perform its function, and a small product may impair blood circulation in soft tissues. Each manufacturer has its own size system, which is described in detail in the instructions. It also states how to determine your size and what measurements need to be done. It is necessary to choose carefully, as medical products are not subject to return and exchange. Be sure to try on a corset in the store.
- Pay attention to the materials from which the corset is made. They must be natural, well washable, hypoallergenic, not be deformed during operation.
- Be sure to pay attention to the fasteners, try the performance of each, and also pay attention to whether they are not rubbed, do not press.
- An important criterion is the price. As a rule, such products are not cheap, but they serve for several years with proper care. The cost depends on the number of stiffeners, the material of the product, the manufacturer's company.
Perhaps these are the main points that you need to pay attention to when choosing a corset. But in each case there may be individual nuances that need to be clarified with the doctor. There is also the possibility of making orthopedic corsets to order, which is especially important for children.
Important to remember! Indications for use of an orthopedic corset are determined only by a doctor. He also has to explain when to wear it and how to wear the product, and when to remove it.
But there are some general guidelines for operation:
- It is not recommended to use the product for more than 6 consecutive hours.
- During sleep, such structures are necessarily removed.
- Wear a corset strictly according to indications, for example, during physical exertion.
- Do not fasten the corset very tightly.This adversely affects the gastrointestinal tract and may also contribute to the rubbing of the skin.
- It is not advisable to wear on bare skin.
Making a conclusion, it is worth noting that the recommendations described above will allow you to make the right choice and protect your spine from damage. But in each case, the final choice must be approved by a specialist in traumatology and orthopedics.
How to choose a corset for the spine? Indications for use of the corset
In the treatment of pathological conditions of the human spine, a wide range of techniques is used, ranging from conservative therapy to surgical intervention. Often, special orthopedic devices are used to correct posture, fix the spine in the correct position, relieve pain syndrome. Types of orthopedic correctors, their classification by purpose, methods of application - these issues will be discussed in our article. Here we will understand how to choose a corset for the spine, what to look for first.
The concept and function of the orthopedic corset
An orthopedic corset is a medical product made of elastic, breathable fabric. Orthopedic corsets are used for therapeutic purposes with curvature, trauma and various diseases of the spine.
Stiffeners and tensioning belts are built into the corset. Corsets are sold in pharmacies and medical equipment stores. Products can also be made according to individual parameters, but they will cost much more. Such corsets for the spine, the prices of which vary depending on the manufacturer, are made according to precisely measured standards of the patient. The price level for similar products starts from 200 y. e. The main purpose of the orthopedic corset:
- fixing the damaged vertebrae of any part of the spine,
- removal of the load from the damaged area and its correct redistribution,
- elimination of tension from the muscular system,
- correction of spinal deformity,
- warming effect
- micro massage
The ribs made of plastic or metal can be adjusted to the shape of the spine (metal) or be unregulated (plastic inserts). At the same time it is very important that the person who is in the corset retains maximum mobility. These devices can not be made at home. They should be purchased only in specialized points of sale.
Classification by purpose
Depending on which part of the spine should be affected, the corsets are classified as follows:
- Orthoses - corsets, used for injuries of the cervical spine, with the instability of the vertebrae or their deformation. Products help to arrest muscle spasm or pain. Orthoses are also used during the rehabilitation period after operations. According to the degree of rigidity of the corsets
Made soft or hard. It happens that for fixation of the vertebrae of the cervical region make vests with a headholder.
- Thoracic corset for the spine covers the chest and lower back, used in osteochondrosis, as well as during the rehabilitation period after operations.
- Corsets for the lumbosacral region cover the pelvis, lower back and part of the chest. Available in varying degrees of hardness. In addition to osteochondrosis, they are used in the case of arthrosis, scoliosis, and radiculitis.
- Proofreaders - soft belts, which are used mainly for the prevention of scoliosis in children and the correction of minor violations of posture in adults.
According to the degree of rigidity are distinguished:
- Hard - corsets, which are used in case of severe spinal curvature, with injuries, fractures. Such a bandage consists of a vest or belt in which rigid plates are sewn.
- Semi-rigid - corsets, the main function of which is to maintain the spine in the correct position during sports or during intense physical exertion.
- Elastic - corsets that do not contain hard inserts, and consist only of elastic bandages. Such corsets are designed to form a correct posture or correct violations of the position of the vertebrae. Often used for the prevention of scoliosis in children and adolescents. The age at which the children's spine can be corrected with a corset is 11-16 years old.
Allocate among elastic corsets one more subspecies - the warming belts. These products are made of neoprene - a material that passes air well. The inner side of the corset is made of wool: camel, canine, sheep. Light warming corset belts are used for back pain due to neurological disorders, i.e., for radiculitis, rheumatism, osteochondrosis.
Types of elastic proofreaders
The elastic corset is a type of corrective bandage that forms the correct posture. There are several types of such devices:
- Belts, straps - bandage, the principle of which is very simple. The belts cover the front eight-shaped shoulder joints. As soon as the posture of a person deviates from the correct position, the belts stick into the body and force to straighten up.
- Magnetic corset for the back (spine) is a bandage along the spinal column, in which magnets are sewn up, creating a magnetic field. Under the influence of the field in the muscles increases blood flow. This leads to the strengthening of the muscular system. In relation to this design, orthopedists are divided into two camps: some are confident in the use of the device, others question the effect.
- An electronic corset is a small device with a diameter of several centimeters that looks like a coin. The device is attached to the skin with Velcro or underwear with a clip. The sensor remembers the correct position of the body and sends signals when it is in the wrong posture. The signal can be audible or in the form of vibrations. The device is considered a very effective tool.
Corsets for fractures of the spine
Among the various pathologies of the spine, the most serious are fractures, in which corsets are used as a therapeutic agent. The corset fixes the spine, removes the load from the damaged section and does not allow vertebral splinters to shift, which is important. For spinal fractures, wearing a corset is prescribed 10-14 days after the injury. The term of wearing, depending on the degree of damage to the spinal column varies from 30 to 60 days. An orthopedic corset is also widely used after spinal surgery. Usually with the above pathologies use one of two types of corsets:
Gypsum corset perform exactly according to the individual parameters of the patient. Such a corset firmly fixes the spine, relaxes the muscles of the back, contributes to the rapid accretion of the bone. The advantage of this product is its low cost. Of course, to the great lack of a plaster corset can be attributed to the low mobility of the patient enclosed in such a product. The time during which it is necessary to wear a plaster corset depends on the patient's age, the severity of the injury, etc. In addition, the corset can rub in the area of the bone protrusions, so a layer of cotton wool must be laid between the skin and plaster.
Metal plastic corsets have several advantages over gypsum ones - they are smaller in size, give the patient freedom of movement, look more aesthetic, but much more expensive than the latter. In addition, it does not functionally differ from plaster.
Compression fracture and spinal hernia
In medicine, there is the concept of compression fracture of the spine - this is damage to the column in one of the sections, due to which the body of the vertebra deforms, changes in size, takes the form of a wedge. Most often, a compression fracture occurs as a result of a fall from a height, unsuccessful diving into the water, a blow to the head, as well as osteoporosis - a decrease in bone density. Most often the disease occurs in the thoracic and lumbar spine.
There are several ways to eliminate this pathology - surgery and conservative therapy. Conservative, in addition to minimally invasive methods, involves the use of corsets for fixing the spine. A corset with a compression fracture of the spine rigidly fixes the spinal column, removing part of the load from it, thereby allowing the damaged vertebra to recover over time. This is a very important question, because, if a compression fracture is not treated, over time the damaged vertebra can put pressure on the nerve roots or on the spinal cord, causing the development of new pathological conditions.
Another serious disease of the spine is intervertebral hernia. This is a pathology in which intervertebral discs, due to rupture, can bulge and exert pressure on the nerve roots of the spinal canal. In the area of the pathological process, edema occurs. All this leads to a painful symptom and partial loss of sensation in the legs. Most often a hernia occurs in the lumbar spine. It is believed that in most cases the pathology is a consequence of osteochondrosis. With conservative treatment, acupuncture and vacuum therapy are most often used in conjunction with the use of an orthopedic corrector. A semi-rigid or rigid lumbar corset in case of a spinal hernia in this case will not only have a warming effect, but also reliably fix the vertebrae. The selection of the corrective product is carried out in accordance with the location of the pathology, as well as how quickly after the onset of the disease, measures are taken to remedy the situation.
Indications for use of the corset
Wearing a corset or belt may be required in case of:
- Back pain from any part of the spine. The nature of the pain may be different - acute or aching. Pain syndrome may be accompanied by numbness of the limbs.
- Vertigo, which is accompanied by loss of consciousness.
- Shooting pain in the lumbar spine.
- The postoperative period, the rehabilitation of the body after injuries. For example, an orthopedic corset is often used for compression fractures of the spine.
- The need to correct posture.
- Preventing the development of osteochondrosis.
- To reduce the load on the back in the case of heavy physical labor, sports loads, with prolonged sedentary work.
- With scoliosis. Here it is necessary to dwell on the stages of the disease.
As a rule, there are three stages of spinal curvature. For treatment of the 1st stage of scoliosis, the corset is not prescribed, therapeutic measures are limited to exercise therapy, massage, swimming, physiotherapy.
The second stage of the disease involves the use of a corset, and for the correction of posture, you must wear the product constantly up to 6 hours a day. In more severe cases, the corset is removed only at the time of sleep and hygiene procedures.
For the treatment of scoliosis stage 3, the corset has to be worn almost around the clock, with a break for sleep and hygiene procedures. Unfortunately, this measure only allows you to stop the development of pathology, a complete recovery from the disease is impossible.
How to choose a corset for the spine?
When choosing a corset for the spine, it is important to adhere to several rules.
- It is true to choose the size. For this you need to know certain parameters of the body.When choosing a corset of the chest-lumbar, an important factor is such a parameter as the circumference under the chest while inhaling. Choosing a corset for the sacral spine, you need to focus on the waist or waist girth. Semi-rigid and rigid corsets should be chosen strictly according to size, taking into account the individual characteristics of the body and only by doctor's prescription. And what to do if the parameters of the body lie in the gap between the standard sizes? How to choose a corset for the spine in this case? You should always give preference to a slightly larger product. This rule is based on the fact that the small size of the corset will squeeze the internal organs and interfere with the normal blood circulation in them. This not only does not correct the existing pathology of the spinal column, but also leads to exacerbation of the problem and the emergence of other diseases. The corset should support, not squeeze.
- The outer fabric of which the corset is made should be light and elastic. The inner side of the product must be cotton based.
- In a high-quality corset, tight inserts are securely insulated.
- A good corset has adjustable straps for a secure fit. Straps - wide and soft - should not push and bump into the skin.
- The product should be free from any allergenic components that can lead to a rash on the body, edema, difficulty breathing.
How to wear a corset?
Before the corset becomes part of the human body, the patient must get used to the product. As a rule, a corset-corrector is recommended to wear two hours a day during the first week, then add one hour with each subsequent week, bringing the wear to six hours. Wearing a corset is recommended for at least three months, until the person has a habit of correct posture. This time, of course, may vary depending on the individual situation. When there are improvements in the state of health, and the doctor makes a decision about the prospect of canceling the wearing of a corset, a “countdown” begins. This means that weekly it is necessary to reduce the time of wearing a corset for one hour.
If a person spent with a corset for 16-20 hours a day, the time of wearing the product is reduced gradually, by 1-2 hours per month, during the first six months, then the rate of reduction in usage time can be increased. In this situation, the period of withdrawal takes a year and occurs only under the supervision of a physician. After the corset is not used by the patient, there comes a period of observation, during which the patient's condition is periodically monitored by the doctor using x-rays. This period can last up to four years.
Electronic corrector can be worn constantly in the active time of the day, making a break just for sleeping, playing sports, hygienic procedures.
There are, however, contraindications to the use of orthopedic corsets, for example, skin diseases in the acute stage.
It should always be remembered that the corrector is not a panacea and the greatest help in restoring the spine is the strengthening of the muscular system through constant physical training (swimming, gymnastics) and massage.
Thus, in our article we examined the most pressing issues related to orthopedic products. We found out how to choose a corset for the spine, what to look for, in what cases to use. The main thing to remember is that the need to use a corset is determined only by the doctor, and the most effective are the corsets made for individual parameters for the spine. The prices, however, for such proofreaders are very high.
How to make the right choice orthopedic corset for the back?
Corsets began to be used many centuries ago as a means of helping to improve the contours of the figure.Today, orthopedic corsets for straightening the back and maintaining it are able to work wonders.
This part of the wardrobe, invisible to prying eyes, perfectly helps in creating a beautiful figure and correcting various violations of posture.
It should be noted that most orthopedic corsets do not relieve the back muscles completely, but only take on part of the load on them, preventing the development and progression of pathological processes of the spine.
Also wear a corset for the back is prescribed to patients after injuries and operations on the spine.
The main advantage of high-quality orthopedic corsets is the correct redistribution of load and support of the spine - the existing shortcomings of the posture are corrected, and the occurrence of new changes is prevented.
They help keep the affected part of the spine stationary (this is clearly seen in the photo), correcting its deformations and also working as a supporting corset.
The size and type of fixing corset are selected depending on the degree of spinal lesions. For example, a corset for fixing the lumbar region usually also captures the pelvis and lower chest.
In order to fix the thoracic region, a fixation-recliner corset is used, and a vest with a headholder is used to fix the cervical region.
Corrective corsets for posture
The purpose of such devices is to correct the curved spine.
Such corsets correct and to some extent support and relieve the spine.
They are great for getting rid of slouching and for forming a correct posture.
Orthopedic corsets for the back are also divided according to the degree of stiffness: they are rigid and semi-rigid.
Ribs in such corsets can be made of plastic or metal.
Rigid medical corsets, which must be worn in the early rehabilitation period after injuries or operations, perform the following functions:
- replace the supporting capabilities of the affected area,
- protects damaged vertebrae from displacement,
- reduce the rehabilitation period.
Semi-rigid lumbosacral corsets
Their experts are advised to wear in those cases when heavy physical loads are foreseen.
Also, corsets can be used for long-term driving or during sports exercises.
Also, these corsets help to get rid of back pain caused by osteochondrosis, radiculitis, and herniated intervertebral discs.
Before the semi-rigid corset are such tasks:
- fixation of the lumbosacral spine outside,
- protecting the muscles from unnecessary stress
- release from excess load of the affected area of the spinal column,
- light massage and warming lumbar.
Orthopedic corsets are classified by the spine into the thoracolumbar, lumbosacral and lumbar.
Thoracolumbar corsets cover almost the entire chest and lower back.
Such corsets are rigid and semi-rigid. They are used for rehabilitation after injuries and operations, as well as for the prevention and treatment of scoliosis, osteochondrosis, osteoporosis, osteochondropathy.
Lumbosacral corsets cover the pelvis, their back wall is low. Can be both rigid and semi-rigid.
Such a medical corset is necessary for post-traumatic rehabilitation, conservative therapy for intervertebral hernia, radiculitis, and myositis. It is also suitable for the prevention of spinal injury during active sports activities.
Lumbar corsets entirely cover the lower back, part of the pelvis and chest. This type of corset is the shortest of all orthopedic corsets.
Separately it is necessary to allocate corsets used during pregnancy, as well as corsets for children.
Corset bandage for pregnant women reduces the load on the lumbar spine, relieves back pain, supports the stomach in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy, prevents excessive stretching of the skin and abdominal muscles, complications of multiple fetuses, polyvagia and lumbar spine diseases that occur before pregnancy, prevents the appearance of hypertonicity of the uterus, and also significantly reduces the recovery period of muscle tone after childbirth.
Corsets for children normalize the work of the muscles that support the spine, restore the work of the musculoskeletal system.
These products are not equipped with rigid inserts that help fix the posture and, affecting the muscle memory, teach the back muscles to hold the spine in the correct position.
Find out in more detail what kind of back massage for a spinal hernia needs to be done? The main causes of the sciatic nerve can be found in this article. Shot in the lower back (lumbago). How to treat a disease, and its main symptoms, see here.
Indications for use of therapeutic orthopedic corsets
The use of an orthopedic corset is prescribed by the doctor after the examination and diagnosis as a means of complex therapy.
Wearing an orthopedic corset is a very convenient passive method of treating many diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
Each model has specific guidelines for donning and duration of use.
For example, some models of corsets can be worn only on underwear, while others on bare skin.
Limiting movements of corsets should be worn only in the prone position, controlling the optimal tightening and correct placement of inserts. Getting up in a similar corset should be very careful and slow.
Frequent indications for wearing an orthopedic corset are diseases such as spondylosis, scoliosis, osteochondrosis, osteoporosis. Also, corsets are used for hernia, fractures, during the rehabilitation period after operations and injuries, with pinching of nerves.
It must be remembered that only the use of an orthopedic corset itself is only an addition to the treatment that helps the body cope with pathological changes, but does not eliminate their cause.
When prescribing a corset wearing by a doctor, it is not necessary to abandon medical gymnastics and medicines. Getting rid of such problems is possible only with complex treatment.
How to choose a medical corset for the back?
Having received a prescription to wear an orthopedic corset, patients are very responsive to the question of how to choose the right model, because an incorrectly chosen corset can significantly aggravate problems with the musculoskeletal system and harm health.
From the choice of a corset depends on the effectiveness of its impact on the spine. The main parameters for selecting a product are the type of corset, the degree of its rigidity and size.
The type and size of the corset should be selected by the doctor after examining the medical history, x-rays and careful examination of the patient.
The corset must be chosen strictly in size and with the obligatory account of the anatomical features of the person.
Therefore, before choosing a specific model, be sure to measure the waist circumference and waist. It is necessary to make measurements without clothes and on the eve of the purchase - even if you measured yourself a week ago, the procedure should be repeated anew.
The required stiffness of the product depends entirely on what kind of spinal problem there is. For example, a rigid orthopedic corset can be used strictly as prescribed by a doctor. In this case, self-determination is completely excluded.
Classification of corsets for the loins, with hernia and other diseases
Corsets for the loins, specifically the thoracolumbar or lumbosacral, have a certain classification. First of all, they distinguish the following types:
Depending on the specific purpose of the application, the orthopedic support corset pursues, it is distinguished:
- fixing - such a supporting band of variable stiffness is designed to relieve the spine from a certain load,
- corrective - such a pneumocorset for the lower back serves as a kind of correction of posture and various spinal curvatures, supporting a band of various variable stiffness is able to reliably fix the spine in one position and contributes to the speedy recovery.
Depending on which area is to be treated, the following are distinguished:
- for cervical,
- chest lumbar,
- supporting lower back,
The lumbosacral corset, as well as the hard lumbar belt, has the properties to reduce the painful sensations of this department, the bandage supports the spine with herniated intervertebral discs, makes the spine stable during its functional disorders due to diseases. In this case, the corsets for the lower back, lumbosacral and thoracic-lumbar regions contribute to the relaxation of the spinal muscles, relieving spasms, and provide support for weakened back muscles.
If diseases of the spine are associated with the clamping of nerve branches, then treatment with the help of the lumbosacral bandage will be even more effective, since the hard belt provides even greater protection for the lumbar and thoracolumbar sector.
Corset lumbosacral stiff
Such a corset on the lower back is necessary for rigid fixation of the lumbar, thoracolumbar and sacral spine. The bandage reduces the load on the vertebra, thereby providing a supporting effect for the back muscles. This eliminates muscle spasm, which causes pain.
To use such a rigid corset for the lower back, lumbosacral sector is most often prescribed for such diseases as:
- osteochondrosis of varying degrees
- with hernia of intervertebral discs,
- with injuries of the lumbar, thoracolumbar, sacral and lumbosacral.
Corset lumbosacral semi-rigid
The belt of this type is able to do much less pressure on the spine, eliminates irregular balance in the paravertebral muscles of the lumbar and sacral regions. Corset on the lower back of variable stiffness makes movements in these sectors less, which leads to a reduction in pain, but at the same time, due to the semi-rigidity, the mobility of the body as a whole remains. Such a lumbar and sacral bandage is used for acute and chronic pain in these areas, which provoke such diseases as:
- radiculitis and spondyloarthrosis with radicular syndrome,
- osteochondrosis of varying degrees of lumbar spine,
- intervertebral disc protrusion,
- with herniated intervertebral discs,
- with spondylolisthesis of a dangerous degree.
In addition, such a corset on the lower back is used in cases where there is damage to the pelvic ring or after surgery on the lumbar region.
It must be said that the bandage of the thoracic-lumbar, lumbar, lumbosacral parts is made of various materials, making the most diverse and convenient forms for different variations of diseases and injuries of the spine. Lumbar corsets have specially-built stiffeners, which in some versions of the corsets can be bent along the lines of the human body. To be able to fix the bandage firmly, it is equipped with specific fasteners that can be adjusted according to the degree of fixation.
It is very important to choose a corset on the lower back, for the lumbosacral, thoracolumbar sector of the spine of the correct size.Fortunately, the range of sizes is as wide as the variations of such a bandage themselves. Remember that before purchasing a corset, it is important to consult with a doctor who is aware of your situation. He will help you to choose a corset individually.
Corset on the lower back and its benefits
The task of any type of bandage is, first of all, to reduce the level of the total load on the spinal sectors, mainly on the lumbar and thoracic, as well as the sacral. The fact is that when the back is healthy, then there is a natural supporting mechanism - the back muscles, however, in various diseases, the muscles weaken and cannot fully perform their functions. In such cases, the bandage will be very appropriate, because it significantly reduces the load, pain and affects the speedy restoration of all functions of the back.
Remember that it is very important to engage in an active lifestyle in order to avoid vertebral disease in general. If your work is related to a sitting position, take breaks, exercise or warm up.
But if the vertebra is still injured and the specialist has appointed to wear the belt to the waist, there are three main rules so that it is really useful:
- a corset on the lower back, thoracic-lumbar, sacral, lumbar-sacral sector should be worn strictly by a specialist’s appointment; if the doctor thinks that you do not need a bandage, do not attribute it to yourself, as it can also damage the spine and aggravate complications
- corsets for the lower back cannot be worn for a long time, because the back muscles then will not want to perform their supporting functions in the mode in which it is necessary - the muscular support can atrophy,
- Remember that wearing a belt is not a treatment method, but only an auxiliary factor for recovery, be sure to do special exercises and exercises for the back, so that the recovery process is quick.
Lumbar corsets are an orthopedic instrument that can restore health after illness and injury.
Orthopedic spinal devices
It is best to choose the protection for the spine in specialized salons with a large selection of corsets for the waist. Experienced specialists will help with the choice of an orthopedic product, and at the same time it is necessary to follow the recommendations of the attending physician. The following factors are of great importance:
- product size,
- lumbar corset functionality
- bandage stiffness
- the possibility of additional prophylactic or therapeutic effects on the spine.
In addition to helping to select an orthopedic corset for the lower back, a specialist salon consultant will definitely teach how to use the product correctly.
Any type of bandage will provide excellent prevention of a variety of back problems. Even the usual supporting effect, creating the most favorable conditions for the spinal column, can be an excellent protection factor. This is especially important for people who need to perform physical labor. A regular lumbar orthopedic corset can help in the following situations:
- prevention of acute osteochondrosis,
- reducing the load on the spine and back muscles,
- ensuring fixation of the vertebrae at 1 degree of displacement,
- prevention of lumbago in the back against the background of severe physical exertion,
- recovery period after spinal cord injuries.
There are special types of corsets for the lower back, using which you can not only prevent, but also treat the problem back. This is especially important in various cases of pronounced displacement of the vertebrae or in the presence of an intervertebral hernia, when the risk of pinching the spinal nerves is high enough. Most optimally, if the medical device for the lower back has the following effects:
- treatment fixing.
A special orthopedic belt made of neoprene will provide an excellent warming effect on the back, and an additional massaging effect is created by a special insert in the design of the orthopedic device.
Pneumocorset has almost all useful properties. This high-tech medical product can provide the following effects:
- back support
- heat preservation in the lumbar region
- stabilization and fixation of the spinal column.
Air Belt special bandage is extremely easy to handle. Having fixed it on the body under the clothes, it is necessary to inflate the air with the help of a foot pump. After that, you can safely and safely live on. Until the end of the day there will be no problems - neither with a bandage, nor with the loins. And this is the undoubted advantage of the corset - there are no restrictions on the length of wearing, so the device ensures the fixation of the spine full time.
It is necessary to remember about possible contraindications for wearing any corset. As a rule, these are skin diseases in the back and abdomen. For women, the main contraindication is pregnancy.
The basic rule when choosing any medical device - be sure to focus on the opinion of the doctor. A corset for the lower back will have an excellent effect in case of various back problems, if the recommendations of the doctor are observed and the therapeutic and prophylactic orthopedic device is used correctly.
What is a corset for?
- Sometimes it happens that there are not enough special exercises and medical treatment to solve problems with the spine.
- Then come to the aid orthopedic corsets for the back, which are able to correct the stoopedness of the spine, relieve back pain, and also make the posture correct.
- In addition, they are used after surgery to support the spine.
- Such an orthopedic product relieves problem areas of the spine due to the support that only a correctly chosen corset can provide.
- Special elements of the corset, which have a squeezing effect, tone the back muscles and stabilize the spinal column.
- Due to this, the pressure on the intervertebral discs is reduced and any degenerative changes in the vertebrae stop.
- In addition, the corset ensures the correct position of the spine, which in turn corrects the posture and prevents the development of curvature.
Medical quality corset for the spine is able to provide:
- - reduction or complete relief from pain in the back,
- - correction of posture,
- - support after surgery or injury,
- - improvement of blood circulation in damaged spinal tissues,
- - getting rid of spinal curvature,
- - if the spine is subjected to constant loads, the corset prevents the development of pathologies.
What are the indications for wearing an orthopedic corset?
- It must be remembered that anyone who wants to correct posture or get rid of back pain can wear such a corset, but such a product must be chosen correctly.
- There are so many such products, and they all have different purposes and different functions.
- If you choose a corset wrong, then the problem with the spine will only get worse.
- With constant pain in the spine.
- Prevention of intervertebral hernia, as well as their treatment.
- Periods of recovery from injuries or surgery.
- Treatment of osteoporosis and its prevention. Often, doctors prescribe to use a corset for fractures of the spine to avoid damage to the spinal cord.
- Children are recommended to wear a corset when posture is formed.
- Aggravation of spondylosis and sciatica.
- Prevention of various diseases of the spine.
Types of orthopedic corsets
Selecting such a product, first of all, it is necessary to pay attention to the fact that they are divided into elastic bandages, orthopedic corsets and an anti-radiculitis belt.
Quite often they are confused, but these products are completely different.
For example, elastic bandages include postpartum or antenatal bandages that women use to support the stomach or lower back.
The anti-radiculitis belt is a wool product with a warming effect, which is used for the lumbar region.
As a rule, orthopedic corsets have a correcting and supporting component.
Such components are represented by a variety of elements, metal ribs, belts and clasps. This design ensures the maintenance of the anatomical shape of the spine, as well as protection against overloads and stresses.
All orthopedic corsets, based on the functional purpose, are divided into the following types:
- Such corsets are needed to restrict movement in the spine.
- They contribute to the correction of a variety of deformities, reducing pain in the back. They are used for rapid rehabilitation after injury or surgery.
This type of corset corrects posture, support the spine. In addition, they are prescribed for the prevention of various curvatures.
Orthopedic corsets for the back and spine are divided according to the degree of rigidity:
- Hard Corset.
They cannot be used independently without the appointment of specialists. Designed for maximum fixation of the spine, so that no unnecessary movements did not occur. Assign them in the postoperative period for successful recovery. Also prescribed for severe spinal deformity, but in this case they are made to order by the standards of the patient.
- Semi-rigid models.
They are needed to relieve the spine. Often have a light, warming and massage effect. The main indications for their purpose: pain caused by spondylosis, prevention of curvature, prolonged work in one position.
- Soft products.
It should be noted that they are not classified as corsets. They are called bandages. Made of elastic dense fabric, and inside is made of camel or dog hair. No fixing elements are provided. They have a warming effect and improve blood circulation. Appointed to reduce pain in various neurological diseases, for example, with radiculitis.
In addition, orthopedic corsets are divided depending on which part of the spine are intended:
- - for the lumbar section - such a corset is put on the belt, covers the sacral section and part of the thoracic spine,
- - lumbosacral corset - also worn on the belt, but intended to fix the entire lumbosacral region,
- - for the thoracic and lumbar spine - this is the most popular type of orthopedic corset. It is put on a belt, and also on a thoracic spine.
There is such a type of corset as magnetic. It has all the above functions, but it has other healing properties, due to the fact that inside the built-in magnets.
As for the corset for the cervical, it is a completely different type of product. It is often prescribed for injuries of the cervical vertebra.
Basic tips on choosing an orthopedic corset
In order to choose the right orthopedic corset for the spine, an investigator needs simple recommendations:
- This item must be performed with a doctor. Decide on the type of orthopedic corset, the degree of rigidity necessary and choose a corset for the desired vertebral part.
- Further the correct size is selected.This item is very important, since a large-sized corset will not perform its functions, and too small will result in blood circulation being disturbed in the tissues. Each manufacturer of orthopedic corsets has its own size table, which is usually indicated in the instructions for the products. In addition, the instructions should describe how to correctly determine the size. It is necessary to do all the necessary measurements correctly, because medical products are not exchanged or returned. If it is possible, then try on a corset immediately in a pharmacy.
- Be sure to ask what materials the corset is made of. Materials must be natural, not cause allergies and wear off, and also not be deformed while wearing.
- Before buying, you must carefully check all the fixtures. Check the performance of each fastener and try on if they rub.
- Worth paying particular attention to how much the product costs. An orthopedic corset should be quite expensive, but with proper care it will last a long time. The price will depend on the manufacturer, materials, as well as how many stiffeners in the product.
These are the most basic points to pay attention to when choosing an orthopedic corset. However, all the nuances are individual and must be discussed with a specialist. It is worth noting that corsets can be made to order, which is especially important if the product is intended for a child.
How to use an orthopedic corset?
It must be remembered that the corset should be applied only after the appointment of a doctor. The specialist will tell you how to wear a corset and when to take it off.
General recommendations for using the product:
- You can not be in a corset for more than five hours.
- Sleeping in a corset is strictly prohibited.
- The product should be worn solely for indications.
- It is better not to wear on a naked body.
- It is impossible to fasten the corset, as it can harm the gastrointestinal tract.
In conclusion, I must say that all the recommendations that have been described above will help you choose the right orthopedic corset for your back and avoid various spinal injuries.
However, in any case, everything must be coordinated with a specialist so that the product brings only benefit. Especially if the corset is meant for a child.
The main thing is not to start the disease of the spine and then the recovery will take place quickly and efficiently.
Types of orthopedic belts
The medical (orthopedic) corset differs from other models in quality of material and purpose.
It should not be confused with a soft and elastic bandage, the purpose of which is to improve blood circulation and metabolic processes in the lumbar region, protection from hypothermia outdoors in bad weather conditions.
The orthopedic belt performs the following functions:
- Corrects the position of the vertebrae in the affected area.
- Fixes the vertebrae, immobilizing them (accelerates the process of self-healing, the patient recovers without repeated relapses).
The materials used in the manufacture of medical corsets are dense fabrics, equipped with metal inserts, plastic elements.
Models are available with a belt buckle or velcro, thanks to which the degree of fit of the belt to the body is regulated.
Inserts made of solid materials follow the contours of the human body - they fit tightly on the sacral and lower back areas, preventing displacement of the vertebrae and reducing the pressure on the intervertebral discs for pain in this area.
The functional purpose of the orthopedic belts can be different:
- Hard corsets are used after complex surgeries and injuries.
- The belts of medium hardness correct the posture for scoliosis, osteochondrosis, arthritis and other diseases of the spine, reduce the load on the vertebrae, tone up the muscles.
Warming elastic corsets (their inner surface can be covered with materials from sheep and camel hair) provide dry heat that favorably affects the affected area.
This type of model, although it belongs to the treatment belts, but they lack special corrective inserts.
They should be used for chronic, aching back pain, as well as a means of prevention, during the recovery period.
They are not visible under the clothes, but, nevertheless, their use has a positive effect when the symptoms of “old” diseases become more acute.
Choosing a suitable corset for the treatment of the spine, you should pay attention to the magnetic belt. This product got its name due to special magnets sewn into the fabric base of the corset.
Magnetic currents, acting on the affected area, eliminate muscle spasm, improve blood circulation, so that the cells are saturated with nutrients, and there is a full process of recovery.
Destroyed bone tissues can not be returned to their former healthy state, but it is still possible to achieve a significant improvement in health when using magnetic corsets.
Before you choose a medical belt for the lumbar, you should consult with your doctor and carefully read the instructions.
It is important to choose the size exactly according to the figure, otherwise the benefits of using a corset will be small, and the degenerative processes in the spine will continue. Manufacturers offer models based on waist and hip, with a certain height.
The lumbar corsets cover the sore spot of the back, while the lumbosacral corners cover the sacrum area with the lower edge.
The use of the latest models eliminates the pinching of the sciatic nerve, which signals pathology with sharp, shooting pains that give to the buttock and thigh.
Even strong painkillers do not always relieve painful pain, and the orthopedic belt in this case plays a supporting role - the bundles of nerve endings smooth out, the process of squeezing the spinal arteries with displaced vertebrae stops.
How to wear a corset and how long can you wear?
- The belt should be worn while standing. If you are not sure that the spine is in the correct position, you need to go to the wall and touch it with the back of your head, buttocks and heels at the same time.
- In the first days of use do not tighten the belts too tight. For displaced vertebrae, such a load will be exorbitant, and in a few hours it will be affected by severe pain. Vertebrae should be straightened gradually. After 2-3 days, the belts can be tightened tighter by 1-2 cm, after the same period - to further increase the degree of tension of the mounts. At this time, passive training and strengthening of the muscles supporting the lumbar region in the correct position occur.
- It is necessary to monitor the time of application of the corset, starting from 10-15 minutes and every day, increasing this time interval by the same time. The maximum time of use during the day is 6 hours.
- Before going to bed, an orthopedic corset must be removed.
- The treatment belt is best to wear on a thin layer of clothing made of natural fabric in order to prevent the occurrence of abrasions and irritations on the skin.
You need to be prepared for the fact that the rigid structure in the first days will cause considerable inconvenience and discomfort, because the body movements in it will be severely limited, but after a few days the patient begins to experience significant relief from the fact that the pain syndrome disappears.
The habit of sitting and standing correctly during this time will prevent the onset of alarming symptoms in the future.
Why do patients with osteochondrosis need corsets
Osteochondrosis is a disease that is accompanied by serious disturbances in the operation of the spinal column, affecting primarily the intervertebral discs. Under the action of various factors, the load on the spine increases, and the cartilages located between the vertebrae are repressed, and the shock-absorbing function is disturbed. All this causes severe pain in the back, neck and limbs, and is often accompanied by restraint and stiffness of movements.
To eliminate the symptoms of osteochondrosis, it is necessary not only to follow a diet, take medications prescribed by a doctor and perform recreational gymnastics, but also use devices that support the patient's spine:
What are these medical products for?
The first treatment belt fixes the vertebrae in the correct position, reduces the load on the muscles, and at the same time partially eliminates pain. The product helps to reduce pressure on the intervertebral discs, which not only has a positive effect on the patient's well-being, but also significantly increases the effectiveness of drug therapy. Depending on the structure, material and purpose, the function of the belts may vary, but any of these devices, when properly used, brings great benefits in the treatment of osteochondrosis and reduces the risk of complications.
How to choose a belt
Before you buy a treatment belt, you should always consult with your doctor, because when using this product it is very important to correctly determine which type of bandage or corset is necessary. At best, wearing the wrong product will not do any good, and at worst, it can cause complications.
It is important to remember that wearing a healing belt is not recommended all the time. The duration of use of the device is also determined by the doctor depending on the severity of the disease and the characteristics of the patient.
Today, there are several types of medical devices for the back, which are used in the treatment of osteochondrosis:
- The warming medical belt. These products do not belong to the category of orthopedic, but they do well with the function of supporting the back. In addition, the belts have an additional warming effect, enhancing the effect of medicines, reducing pain and improving physical activity. They protect the aching back from drafts and hypothermia, which can worsen the course of the disease. Devices are made from neoprene or wool (canine, sheep, camel). Wool belts have another advantage: thanks to natural fibers, they stimulate nerve endings and normalize blood circulation in the affected area. Such products are used in osteochondrosis of the lumbar and sacral part. It is allowed to use them as a prophylactic agent without a prescription.
- A bandage is a device similar to a medical warming belt, however, unlike it, it has an orthopedic effect. This is an elastic product with special inserts that provides the necessary fixation of the spinal column and effectively relieves the back muscles and intervertebral discs. Bandages are used mainly for the lumbar. In consultation with the doctor, such devices can be worn for a long time.
- A rigid and semi-rigid corset is a fixing structure, which is intended to correct serious violations of the spinal column. It is possible to use the device strictly according to the specialist's purpose and only for a limited period of time, as with prolonged wear there is a risk of atrophy of the back muscles. If you need to wear a corset with osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine, preference should be given to a fixing belt with hard inserts.A device that fits in the upper back is suitable for the thoracic region.
- The air corset is a product of a new generation, which is sewn of genuine leather according to individual sizes for the treatment of lumbar osteochondrosis. Inside the belt is a special insert that is inflated with air. The volume of injected air is determined jointly with a specialist strictly in accordance with the characteristics of the disease.
When choosing a belt or corset for the lower back and thoracic, it is very important to correctly determine the appropriate size of the product in order to maximize the use of the product. To do this, consult with a doctor and a specialist in the sales department of orthopedic devices.
Beginning to wear a medical belt, carefully listen to your own feelings: there should be no serious discomfort and, even more, increased pain when using the product. If this happens, be sure to inform the doctor and together with him pick up another type of device.
To use the belt in the treatment of osteochondrosis brought the maximum positive effect, it is very important not only to choose the right product, but also to strictly adhere to the recommendations for wearing a bandage (corset). Observe the doctor's instructions regarding the time of continuous use of the device. As a rule, bandages and corsets are allowed to be worn only during the daytime and not more than 6 hours in a row with short breaks. In this case, you can put on and take off the product only in the prone position. The duration of treatment is determined by a specialist - it can last from 1 to 3 months.
When removing the product, it is important to take care to protect the back from hypothermia, especially when using warming belts, otherwise you can seriously aggravate the course of the disease. At night, you should not wear a bandage or a stiff corset, but it is recommended to sleep on an orthopedic mattress - this will allow the back to relax, but the spine will still be in the correct position.
With proper use of the belt and compliance with all the recommendations of a specialist, long-awaited relief from osteochondrosis occurs within a few days after the start of use. Wearing a bandage or corset during periods of exacerbation of the disease improves the results of complex treatment and significantly approximates the remission stage, increasing its duration.
During pregnancy, the gynecologist advised me to wear a corset for pregnant women for back pain. I chose the model for a very long time. At the 25th week of pregnancy, nevertheless, it was determined and bought an orthopedic bandage with four stiffeners and additional puffs that help fix the pelvic organs and the abdominal cavity in a more comfortable physiological position.
I used this corset when I needed to stand a lot - while walking, shopping, cleaning the apartment, preparing food. In the last weeks of pregnancy, when back pain was particularly severe, the bandage was simply necessary, since there was practically no pain with it. Of course, such a corset is expensive, but the money is definitely worth it.
When I was still a student, I bought an orthopedic corset - a posture fixer.
At that time, I was sure that I didn’t really need it, but I still bought it for prophylaxis, because my back was a little sore from constant sitting.
At first, the corset brings inconvenience; it is rather hard to wear it - it pulls back the shoulders.
Therefore, in the first days it should be worn very little, gradually increasing the time of wearing. I got used to the corset a week later and wore it almost the whole day. Basically, the corset operates in a standing position, while sitting still you can bend a little and relax.
Literally a few weeks later, I noticed that the back is kept even, even when there is no corset, and there is no desire to bend. For the first time, I didn’t even notice the effect myself - people around me started saying that I had a very beautiful posture. For me it was the best compliment.
I advise such a corset to anyone who has problems with posture. Only you need to wear the product constantly - in this case, the result will not be long in coming.
Children's posture corrector T-1773
The price is 1100 rubles
The corset is made of breathable knitted fabric, therefore it does not cause skin irritation. The product consists of a belt, which fixes the lumbar region, and the back panel, on which the straps are located, providing adjustment of shoulder dilution. The back surface of the corset is equipped with two removable stiffening ribs.
Corset orthopedic lumbar, reinforced IBS-3006
Price 3614 rubles
The corset is equipped with stiffeners and additional tightening. The product fixes the lumbar spine, reduces the load on the muscles of the lower back, stabilizes the ligament-joint apparatus. Elastic ribs in the front of the product prevent the corset from twisting in a sitting position and when bending. Putting on a corset makes it easy to loop the fingers in the front of the product. With the help of elastic lateral puffs, the degree of fixation of the corset is regulated.
Treatment of pain in the lower back in women: the sacrum area
The sacrum is one of the most important bones in the lower part of the spine. From above, it connects to the lower lumbar vertebra, and from below, to the coccyx. Any pain that occurs in this area signals that violations have occurred in the body. It is important to maintain its health and performance.
The pain in the sacrum limits the movement of a person, impairing his ability to work and livelihoods. Women are more concerned about women than men. This is due to the fact that the female vertebrae are less strong and harder to cope with physical exertion.
What is the sacrum?
The sacrum is triangular in shape, consists of five vertebrae, fused together. Represented by two surfaces - front and rear, the base and the top of the two edges on the sides. Together with a pair of pelvic bones forms the upper pelvic part. On the one hand it connects with the coccyx, and on the other - with the last vertebra of the waist. The front cross part is called pelvic. On it, five vertebrae of the sacrum coalesce in the form of four cross lines. Nerve endings along with arterial veins, vessels and capillaries penetrate the pelvic area in four places.
Pain in the sacral region of the doctor is diagnosed, as a result of a more serious disease. The symptoms that have arisen in the sacrum are commonly called sacrodinia (from the Latin os sacrum, the sacrum). They can be activated due to damage to bone structures or progressive diseases of internal organs.
Causes of exacerbation and symptoms
Various factors can cause pain in the area of the sacrum, but the main factor is the displacement that patients receive at birth or injuries. Offsets are divided into two groups:
- in the area of the right bones of the pelvis,
- in the area of the left bones of the pelvis, the symptoms are different for each side.
In the event of an injury in the left part, there are irregularities in the blood flow in the left leg, swelling and severe pain, periodic seizures, unstable work of the heart and respiratory systems, constipation and overweight are possible. In the case of injury in the right side there is pain in the right leg, short-term seizures, disorders in the digestive system, carrying and a significant loss in weight.
General malaise and acute pain in the coccyx and sacrum can be caused by past injuries - fall, blow, bruise, that is, injury to the spine, which resulted in pinching of the nerves.Pain - strong enough, cramping or aching. In the absence of serious injuries, the pain passes on its own after a while, provided that it is kept quiet. Sometimes pain symptoms may appear later.
Usually, after the course of treatment and rehabilitation, the pain in the sacrum resulting from injury disappears. If sensations persist even after therapy, you should consult with your doctor.
Sacrodynia can be triggered by:
- long stay in a sitting position (office work),
- physical exertion
- stress and emotional overstrain
- digestive problems
- blood clots
- premature varicose veins.
Doctor Alekseev on video:
Diseases associated with pain in the sacrum
In both women and men, pain in the right side and at the same time behind may indicate serious diseases, the treatment of which requires surgery (hepatitis, pyelonephritis, pneumonia, and others). There are various reasons that have no direct connection with the sacrum, but can manifest themselves in pain in this area. Among them are the following:
- osteochondrosis caused by displacement of vertebral plates provokes complications in the form of pinching of nerve endings and significant narrowing of the vertebral canals. The pain occurs after physical exertion, overwork, and recedes after rest. Ailments are usually observed in the area of the sacrum and the coccyx, since they have a direct connection with the vertebra,
- spondylolisthesis and hernia of the lower vertebrae of the lower back. If the pain has a pulling or aching nature, this is the first alarm signal to a possible displacement of intervertebral discs. Periodic dull aching sensations in the lumbar region may indicate a hernia between the vertebrae. In such cases, the pain is localized in the sacrum and gives in the groin or leg. Her character is intermittent - attacks begin suddenly as a result of sudden movement, with prolonged physical exertion,
- malformations of the spine. Destructive processes in the spinal column can be congenital or acquired. Anomaly - malformed lumbosacral and transitional vertebrae. This may be the formation of a new vertebra (lumbarization), non-union of the vertebral arch, fusion of the vertebrae with a decrease in their number (sacralization). Factors that affect the violation of the structure of the spine - a long stay in the wrong position of the body, sedentary work. The pain in such disorders periodic,
- blockage of veins in the pelvic and iliac vessels. Launched stages of vascular pathologies, thrombophlebitis, internal varicose veins - in these conditions, pain may occur in the sacral region. Symptoms may include high body temperature, blue skin and the appearance of strong edema in places where a blood clot has formed,
- inflammatory diseases of the abdominal cavity and retroperitoneal space are accompanied by pain in the sacrum. Painful sensations also extend to the abdomen, give to the lower half of the back. The inflammatory process can affect the menstrual cycle, the nervous system, heart and blood vessels. In addition to pain, other symptoms are possible: fever, chills, headache,
- infectious diseases, such as tuberculosis, staphylococcus. Caused by bacteria and accompanied by pain that does not subside even after resting and taking painkillers. Attacks sakrodinii amplify with the slightest movements and loads,
- metabolic bone disease. These include osteoporosis, rickets, osteomalacia. The first symptom of such pathologies is acute pain that occurs in the areas of the small pelvis, lower back and sacrum. It is also possible the appearance of unpleasant sensations in the lower extremities,
- tumor formation.For all types of tumors (both benign and malignant), pain is always lower in the lower back in women. She has a permanent and unchanging nature. In men, such attacks can be caused by chronic prostatitis,
In some cases, the appearance of pain in the sacrum in women may be the only manifestation of the disease and a signal for developing breast or uterine cancer, since the tumor may develop asymptomatically.
- endometriosis. Pain in the lower part of the waist in women can cause gynecological problems, one of which is endometriosis. Pathology arises due to the proliferation of the endometrium - the internal mucous epithelium of the uterine body - beyond its limits. In such a condition, women experience aching pain in the lower abdomen and in the sacrum, which increase during menstruation, the menstrual cycle is disturbed,
- parametritis is another common "female disease." This pathology is characterized by an infectious-inflammatory process of parametrium - the connective tissue surrounding the uterus. His development is provoked by past operations, unsuccessful abortions and postpartum complications. The disease is accompanied by sharp cuts, stitching pains in the lower abdomen, extending to the sacrum and lower back. It leads to a violation of the menstrual cycle, accompanied by fever, tremors in the body and migraines,
- menses. Pain in critical days are paroxysmal in nature, can give in the lower extremities,
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Digestive disorders, diseases of the small intestine, the appearance of heaviness in the stomach - all this can affect the appearance of sacrodynia. Other side effects of such pathologies are stool disorders (constipation or diarrhea), gas, intestinal colic.
Pregnancy as a cause
The pain below the lower back on the right behind the woman is most often observed during pregnancy. Due to the increase in weight, the spinal column and smooth muscles of the back have a large load. Gradually growing belly shifts the center of gravity, the expectant mother has to bend back in the lower back. This adversely affects the sacral spine and provokes the occurrence of Sacrodinia.
Unpleasant sensations during gestation are also explained by hormonal imbalances, fetal pressure on the sacrum or with a change in the position of the child in the womb. After childbirth, the pain must go away on its own.
The appearance of any sensations in the sacrum is a reason for going to the doctor. Since the causes of Sacrodinia are quite diverse, it is necessary to undergo a full examination. Need a consultation of narrow specialists: traumatologist, neurologist, orthopedist, urologist and gynecologist. Physical examination with the collection of anamnesis is required: clarification of the localization of pain, nature, strength and intensity of painful sensations, where the presence of accompanying symptoms gives, when it increases and decreases.
Laboratory and instrumental tests for Sacrodinia are as follows:
- general and detailed blood and urine tests,
- X-rays to determine the state of the bone structures of the spinal column, the detection of hernias, disc displacement and other pathologies,
- Magnetic resonance imaging is usually prescribed to detect gynecological pathologies,
- computed tomography of the pelvic organs, lumbosacral spine and pelvic bones is necessary for their detailed study, detection of tumor formations,
- ultrasound examination of the pelvic organs,
- densitometry to determine bone density.
What to do when it hurts below the waist in women? Medical therapy sakrodinii should eliminate the source of pain. Self-medication is not recommended. The course of treatment should be drawn up by the attending physician, taking into account the established diagnosis, the presence of concomitant diseases and the general condition of the patient.
The main elements of therapy include:
- taking medicines. In the form of pills or injections, analgesics are prescribed, anesthetizing novocaine blockades (with severe attacks), NSAIDs, drugs for relieving muscle spasms, antibiotics, sedatives, B vitamins, hormonal preparations,
- local impact. The use of medical patches reduces muscle spasms, relaxes muscles, relieves swelling and pain,
The course of medication and local ointment is chosen strictly by the doctor after finding out the cause of the pain below the lower back in women.
- physiotherapy. UHF-therapy, Bernard currents, electrophoresis with hydrocortisone, massage, acupuncture, Lyapko applicator. These procedures reduce the intensity of pain, relieve muscle tension, suppress the inflammatory process, improve blood flow, restore the correct position of the pelvic organs, strengthen the immune system,
- physiotherapy. It is administered only after the removal of acute pain, when the patient needs complete rest. The complex of exercises is selected individually by the attending physician and includes exercises for the development of the lumbosacral,
- orthopedic corset. This design is a supporting bandage for the spine, which limits its mobility and reduces the load on bone and cartilage structures,
- surgical intervention. The painful pain in the sacrum, which cannot be eliminated with the use of analgesics and medicinal blockades, requires a more serious approach — an operation. During the intervention, the affected part of the lumbar junction, the coccyx is restored, or the bone and cartilage structures and tissues are completely replaced.
Treatment of pain in the lumbosacral region should not be limited to the use of painkillers and agents for local exposure. In most cases, sacrodinia is a symptom of more serious pathologies that require timely diagnosis and therapy. Then you can hope for a favorable outcome and the elimination of painful sensations.
General recommendations for the treatment of injuries
- Immediately after injury, apply a cold compress to the injury site. This will prevent the development of the inflammatory process.
- Eliminate physical stress, limit the mobility of the injured area.
- As a drug treatment use painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs. The use of local ointments and rectal suppositories based on GMP is allowed.
- As the pain decreases, in 3-4 days it is allowed to perform light exercises from the exercise therapy course to warm up the lumbosacral region.
If the injury has gone without fractures, then after 2-3 weeks a full recovery occurs: the pain goes away and the person returns to normal life.
Traditional methods of treatment
It is strictly contraindicated to use alternative medicine without the consent of the doctor, as it can cause serious damage to health. If there are no contraindications and the cause of pain in the sacrum is determined, herbal medicine can be used.
Herbal tea infusion
- Mix 1 tsp. dry immortelle flowers and calendula, fireweed leaves, heather shoots, sweet clover grass, groundwort, motherwort, horsetail and dandelion root.
- From the resulting collection take 8 g and grind into powder.
- Pour 400 ml of boiling water, rinse for 3 minutes on the fire and insist 1.5-2 hours under a towel.
- Filter and drink 100 ml for half an hour before meals.
- The course of treatment is 2 months.
The composition "Avicenna" for rubbing
- In 96% vinegar essence put 15 razor blades.
- Insist 2 weeks so that they are completely dissolved.
- Then mix the purified turpentine, camphor and ammonium chloride (50 g each).
- Add to the mixture 5 g of birch tar, 100 ml of 96% spirit of wine and 100 ml of ready-made acetic essence with iron.
- Use for rubbing the lumbosacral region, shaking beforehand.
Tincture for rubbing
- In 1 liter of olive oil add 300 g of leaves and flowers of lilac.
- Insist for a month on the windowsill, filter.
- Rub the lower back twice a day for a month.
- 100 g of eucalyptus leaves pour ½ l alcohol (alc. Not less than 40%).
- Insist 7-10 days.
- Use for rubbing.
Tincture for compresses
- 5 tbsp. black radish juice mixed with 1 tbsp. warm honey, ½ tbsp. alcohol (40% alc.) and 1 tbsp. l steamed salt.
- Shake well.
- Rub painful area, putting on top of the compress paper for 2 hours.
Infusion on a bay leaf
Joint treatment More >>
- Grind the bay leaf, top with vegetable oil so as to completely cover the dry raw materials.
- Infuse for 2 weeks at room temperature.
- Use for compresses, keeping from 3 to 6 hours. Repeat every other day for a month.
- 500 g of pine buds pour 5 liters of water and cook for 10 minutes, filter.
- Pour into the bath, diluted with water, to get the temperature no higher than 37 degrees.
- Take this bath for 20 minutes every other day.
Aromabath with essential oils
- Mix 8 drops of chamomile, ginger and lemon oil.
- Add to the mixture ¼ Art. milk or cream.
- Add the composition to a bath filled with water with a temperature of 37 degrees.
- Take a bath for 20-30 minutes 3 times a week.
Without a preliminary examination of the doctor is not recommended to perform the following procedures at home:
- warm the area of localization of pain, because if its cause is an inflammatory process,
- take pain medication.
To prevent sakrodinia, it is recommended to observe simple preventive measures:
- lead a healthy lifestyle,
- stick to a balanced diet, which is very important for strengthening muscles and bones. Especially useful foods containing calcium, vitamins and minerals - dairy products, herbs, nuts, fresh vegetables and fruits,
- in the event of any painful discomfort in the sacral region, one should not make sharp movements, engage in physical activity and sports,
- avoid stress, relax more
- pay attention to working conditions, adjust physical and athletic loads, monitor posture,
- visit doctors regularly and make timely diagnostics.
The appearance of debilitating pain in the lower part of the lower back in women is due to various pathologies. Therefore, in the event of the occurrence of such disorders it is not necessary to delay the demand for medical care. It is extremely important to determine the etiology of pain and to take measures to treat the disease. After all, timely detected disease is a guarantee of successful therapy and a favorable outcome.
Choosing an orthopedic corset for the back
Properly chosen orthopedic corset in combination with other methods of treatment is an excellent solution to various problems of the spine. Do not be afraid of such an appointment - modern orthopedic belts are physiological, made from hygienic materials, many models are invisible under clothing. You just need to choose the right corset and follow the rules of wearing it.
How to choose corsets for the back
The main recommendation for choosing an orthopedic belt is a doctor's prescription. The product must fit exactly. In some cases, the corset is made to order. If a typical finished product is purchased, and there is no possibility to try it on, then before buying it is necessary to measure the parameters of a figure without clothes as precisely as possible (waist girth, sometimes hips). Some typical belts have a dynamic fixation system and allow you to adjust the stiffeners to the parameters of the patient.
Indications for use of orthopedic corsets
Modern medical belts are used to stabilize, relieve, restrict movements, correct spinal deformities.Also, they must be worn during rehabilitation after fractures, spinal surgery, to relieve pain in some diseases, to prevent back injuries.
To improve posture
Fixing orthopedic products are well corrected posture. The magnetic corset is especially popular. Several magnets built into the belt improve blood circulation, relieve tension, inflammation, swelling in muscles. In addition to magnetic inserts, such a corrector is equipped with solid ribs, which give it the necessary rigidity and supporting effect.
Orthopedic corsets for scoliosis are supportive (relieve the spine, relieve muscle tension) and correcting (correct deformities). The latter are used at 2-3 degrees of curvature, are made to order. The choice of model depends on the stage of the disease and is carried out by a doctor.
The use of a corset in this case relieves muscle tension, stress, reduces pain. The degree of rigidity of the product is selected based on the stage of the disease. Wear this belt is necessary for physical exertion. You should not tighten it too weakly (there will be no positive effect) or tight (so as not to disrupt the blood circulation).
Types of corsets
Orthopedic correctors can be classified according to rigidity (semi-rigid, hard, soft elastic), functional (correcting, fixing) and intended for a specific section of the spine (thoracolumbar, lumbosacral, lumbar). The choice of a particular type depends on the indications and prescriptions of the doctor.
Designed for semi-rigid or rigid fixation and stabilization of the vertebrae from the chest to the lumbosacral. They are used for osteochondrosis, osteoporosis, spondylosis, radiculitis, intervertebral hernia, oncological, tuberculosis and other processes that destroy vertebrae. Also, these correctors are prescribed after injuries, operations in the thoracolumbar region, to prevent injuries during physical exertion.
Recommended for problems of the lumbar and sacrum. There are rigid, semi-rigid and adjustable (fixation is carried out based on the needs of a particular patient). After surgery, fractures use hard corsets. Elastic semi-rigid products - a necessary thing in power sports, with heavy physical work, long driving. Neoprene belts that warm the lower back are widely demanded.
The most popular model among corsets because of the universality of the application. Experts recommend such a corrector for rehabilitation after operations, fractures in this part of the spine, for diseases involving pain (hernia, sciatica, neuritis), for women with a generic divergence of the pelvic bones, as well as for preventive purposes (prevention of diseases during exercise and hypothermia).
For pregnant women
Future mothers due to physiological changes of the body in 2-3 trimesters are experiencing heavy loads on the lumbosacral spine. With the threat of miscarriage requires additional support for the abdomen and pelvic organs. The special lumbar bandage copes well with these problems. It is prenatal and universal (applied before / after childbirth).
Spinal curvature and slouching are frequent problems for schoolchildren who are forced to carry heavy textbooks every day and spend a long time at the desk. The fixing corset in this case is the optimal solution. It is only necessary to ensure that the child wore it strictly certain time. Posture corrector is selected based on the recommendations of the orthopedic surgeon.
Prices and models of orthopedic corsets
Thoracolumbar Ortex hard belt (Manufacturer Slovakia)
- Application: postoperative, instability of the vertebrae, osteochondrosis, destructive lesions of the vertebrae.
- Price: 7500 r.
Orlett lumbar semi-rigid corset (Manufacturer Germany)
- Application: radiculitis, osteochondrosis, hernia, displacement of the vertebrae, pain syndrome, injury prevention during exercise.
Posture Corrector Ecoten (Manufacturer Russia)
- Application: scoliosis, kyphosis, pain, late rehabilitation after surgery and injury.
- Price: 1800 p.
Video tips on choosing a corset
In recent years, school-age children often become orthopedic patients. Experiencing enormous loads on the spine, they especially need to prevent scoliosis. If the disease has already occurred, then posture corrector is simply necessary. How to choose an orthopedic corset and put it on the child, see in this video:
Feedback on use
Zhanna: - “I wore a hard corset after the operation so that a hernia did not form. At first there was discomfort, she got used to it in a couple of weeks. At the same time, the spine helped - I had a slight curvature. Shot only at night, but the effect on the face. The only drawback is that you don’t run up in your heels in such a belt, it’s hard to keep balance. ”
Valentina: - “Last year I received a fracture of a vertebra. The doctor diagnosed still osteoporosis. He prescribed an orthopedic corset as a treatment. My daughter bought me a semi-rigid brace, which is easy to put on by myself. I got to my feet very quickly. ”
Anna: - “At the end of the pregnancy, my back began to hurt badly. The doctor advised the antenatal belt and after studying the reviews I bought such a bandage. This is a thing! He just saved my back. My model is also suitable for the postpartum period - you just need to turn it over, then the belt will support the abdominal cavity. Due to this, the stomach quickly returned to normal after giving birth - it became flat again. ”
Like this article? Tell your friends:
Comments with advertising of goods or services are posted only on a paid basis or are deleted.
A corset to strengthen the spine helps to keep your back in the correct position, especially for sedentary workers, such as programmers, clerks, secretaries, etc.
What are the corsets for the spine?
In the modern world, corsets are used to a greater extent to the treatment of spinal problems, whereas several hundred years ago they were considered an integral part of women's wardrobe.
Any medical corset to support the spine is presented in the form of a rigid base, softened by an elastic band. For soft corsets, the tape can be used in several layers, and for rigid models one or two layers of the outer covering are most often used solely to soften the effect of rigid elements on the skin.
Today, corsets for the spine are divided into two main types:
- bandages - soft correctors, usually made of light elastic materials, do not have particularly hard inserts,
- corsets for the spine - necessarily have orthopedic elements in the form of rigid double-sided ribs or inserts parallel to the spine. There are different types and forms, depending on their purpose.
In no case can you make corsets for the spine with your own hands, because in the manufacture of such devices, only high-quality materials are used that are designed accordingly, so you can get high-quality medical devices.
Using home-made counterparts, there is no guarantee that any existing health problems will be corrected; in addition, an incorrectly chosen corset can cause even more damage to your back.
Denial of responsibility
The information in the articles is intended solely for general information and should not be used for self-diagnosis of health problems or for medical purposes. This article is not a substitute for medical advice from a doctor (neurologist, therapist).Please consult your doctor first to know exactly the cause of your health problem.
How to choose a corset for posture correction?
The most common reason for wearing a corset is correct posture, so the issue of choosing the optimal corset for the spine should be given increased attention.
Buying a corset for the spine, you need to be based on these features:
- size - to find the right size of the corset, you need to measure the circumference under the chest while inhaling. Remember: if you received an intermediate size, then you need to buy a corset for a larger size,
- corset composition - the fabric should be light and stretchable, as far as the inner lining is concerned, this should be a cotton base,
- safety - all metal and other rigid inserts should be reliably isolated, and not have any effect on the skin,
- fixing elements - the perfect corset has adjustment straps for a secure fit. Supporting straps should be wide and soft so as not to exert excessive pressure on the shoulders and not bump into the skin,
- the absence of allergenic components - choosing a corset, it is better to buy a product from natural materials, since the presence in the composition of artificial additives can lead to allergies of any nature, starting with a rash on the body, and ending with difficulty breathing.
It is worth remembering that the choice of a corset for maintaining posture is a very important matter, and the incorrect use of such a remedy may cause additional harm instead of the expected positive result. That is why it is best to entrust the selection of the optimal model of the corset to your doctor.
How to choose the best corset for different occasions?
To select the optimal model of the corset, you need to be guided by the characteristics of the body and the existing health problems. Depending on the specific features of the models, the corsets are:
- elastic - made of special elastic bandages without the use of rigid inserts and additional elements. Such products are perfect for correcting minor defects in posture or as a means for the prevention of scoliosis. Wearing such a device allows you to unload the lumbar spine, straighten the spine, restore the correct position of the shoulders,
- hard - have hard plates on both sides of the spine, which evenly distribute the lateral load on the back. Tip: these corsets are best used when there are serious problems with posture, besides different models provide a different number of stiffeners, which allows you to choose a corset for each individual case, taking into account the individual problem areas,
- lumbar - created to adjust the lumbar in the event of injury or deformation of a different nature. Most often used to warm the lower back with rheumatism, radiculitis and similar diseases,
- individual - such models are designed specifically for individual sizes, taking into account the characteristics of the organism. Selecting a corset for a particular case, you can order a model with asymmetrical stiffeners for correcting different sides of the back, or choose a product with elastic straps of different lengths to eliminate incipient scoliosis.
Despite the detailed description of various models of corsets and their free sale, you should not purchase such a device without prior consultation with a specialist. The corset is designed to correct posture and correct defects, so for each case you need to choose an individual model, and even the slightest deviation from the norm can lead to aggravation of discomfort.
How to wear a corset for the spine?
To the corset brought the maximum benefit, it must be properly worn.The basic rules for the use of a corset for posture correction:
- the corset cannot be worn permanently, since its excessive use will result in overloading of the body. Advice: wear a corset only if necessary, for example, in case of severe pain, and at other times try to keep the spine in the correct position yourself, do not slouch and straighten your shoulders,
- It is not recommended to wear a corset at night, because the body should rest during sleep,
- doing hard physical work, it is better to use a corset, without waiting for the appearance of back pain,
- The optimal time for wearing a corset should not exceed 6 hours, after that you should take at least a 2-3 hour break, after which you can again wear a corset,
- it is impossible to wear a corset that is unsuitable in size - too loose an adaptation will not have any effect, and too tight a corset will lead to problems with blood circulation. Useful advice: to determine whether the corset is properly tightened, it must be scrolled around the waist: scrolling means weakly fixed, pressing in the abdomen — tightened.
Focusing on such simple rules, you will get the maximum benefit from wearing a corset, so you should not ignore useful tips.
Orthopedic corsets for the back and waist: types
According to its functional purpose, an orthopedic corset for the spine has the following varieties:
- fixing - fixedly fixes the spine, removing the load from it and correcting it,
- corrective - supporting the spine, corrects it and corrects defects (orthopedic corset for posture).
According to the degree of rigidity, an orthopedic corset for the back is of the following types:
1) Semi-rigid. It is recommended to wear when performing heavy physical activities, sports exercises, long-term driving, as well as with back pain caused by radiculitis, spondylosis, herniation of intervertebral discs, osteochondrosis, etc. The semi-rigid lumbosacral corset performs the following tasks:
- fixes the lumbosacral spine outside,
- protects the muscles from excessive stress,
- relieves the affected area of the spinal column,
- warms and slightly massages the lower back.
2) Hard. It is recommended to wear after surgery and injuries in the early period of rehabilitation. Performs the following functions:
- compensates for the support capabilities of the affected segment,
- protects damaged vertebrae from displacement,
- shortens the rehabilitation period.
Distinguish orthopedic corset with ribs of plastic and metal.
The spine section includes the following types of corsets:
1) Thoracolumbar. Cover most of the chest and lower back. Can be rigid or semi-rigid. They are used to rehabilitate the appropriate section of the spine after surgery and injuries, to treat and prevent certain diseases (osteoporosis, osteochondrosis, osteochondropathy, etc.). 2) Lumbo-sacral. Cover the pelvis and have a low back wall. There are rigid and semi-rigid. They are used for post-traumatic rehabilitation of the corresponding section of the spine, conservative therapy for radiculitis, intervertebral hernia, myositis and prevention of spinal injury in active sports. 3) Lumbar. Completely cover the lower back, part of the chest and pelvis. Orthopedic corset for the lower back - the shortest of all types of corsets.
How to wear an orthopedic corset?
Type of orthopedic corset, its design prescribes a doctor. The specialist will designate the basic rules of wearing, the observance of which is the key to the effectiveness of prophylaxis and therapeutic effects on the spine. Here are a few general guidelines to follow when wearing orthopedic corsets:
- wearing an orthopedic belt can be no more than six hours a day,
- be sure to shoot at night,
- wear if necessary (doing heavy physical work or playing sports) and as prescribed by the doctor (for back pain), since independent work of the muscles when wearing a corset is limited,
- do not tighten the corset too tightly (it breaks blood circulation in the spine, muscles and skin),
- It is advisable to wear a corset over the underwear to avoid rubbing the body.
How to choose the orthopedic corset?
1. The degree of hardness. With severe pain (when it is impossible to straighten), after fractures and surgeries, with diseases that require a strong fixation of the spinal column, a rigid orthopedic corset is selected. Moreover, self-determination in this situation is completely excluded. size 2. The size range of corsets may vary from different manufacturers. Some focus on waist circumference, others - on the volume of the waist (abdominal volume, 8 cm down from the waist). Therefore, before buying, you need to measure the relevant parameters on the naked body. 3. Type of corset. It is determined by the doctor depending on the diagnosis.