Usually, lying back pain subsides or stops completely, so many patients take such symptomatic manifestations as normal fatigue after intense exercise. A completely different clinical picture characterizes the increase in pain when the patient is resting in a horizontal position.
Often, increased pain is a sign of a serious illness that requires immediate treatment. If atypical symptoms appear, you should always contact a specialist.
Provocative factors and causes
Clinicians identify two main groups of etiological factors that can affect the appearance of pain in the back when patients are at rest. The first relates to physiological pain, which is a consequence of intense power load, severe unbearable physical exertion, long stay in a static position. The second group describes the development of symptoms of serious diseases of the skeletal system or muscle and cartilage structures. Common causes are:
- pregnancy (II or III trimesters),
- weight gain
- late stages of bone diseases (arthrosis, osteochondrosis, chondrosis),
- pathologies of the urinary tract and reproductive system,
- malignant tumors of internal organs,
- acute inflammatory diseases of the bone tissue,
- intervertebral hernia with localization in the sacral spine.
The clinical picture is manifested individually for each patient, exactly like the management of patients with aggravated pains in the position of the patient lying on his back. The nature of the pain and its intensity depends on the degree or duration of the pathological processes. The features of the pains are as follows:
- pulling, burning, sharp, dull, shooting,
- moderate, intense, weak, episodic,
- bilateral or unilateral,
- radiating to different parts of the spinal column (usually the lumbar, sacral, cervical),
- long or fragmented.
It is important to take into account the criteria for changing the pain when the body position changes, after the use of certain drugs. Back pain while lying down may also depend on the time of day.
Inflammation of the genitourinary system and pyelonephritis
Pyelonephritis is an inflammation of the kidneys of the ascending urinary tract. Back pain when lying on your back due to the location of the kidneys. Anatomically, they are located closer to the back, at or below the hypochondrium. The painfulness is also caused by the expansion of the fibro-parenchymal layers of the renal structures. Pains at pyelonephritis pulling, are felt, mainly, at night. The tendency to increase soreness is manifested when shaking, taking a deep breath, riding a bicycle or riding a horse. During the examination, the patient reacts to knocking of the kidneys from the back or light jumps on the heels.
Other symptoms are:
- change in color of urine and atypical impurities (turbidity, white flakes, mucous component, orange tint),
- frequent urination with soreness, as in cystitis (and possibly a complication in the form of inflammation of the bladder),
- increased body temperature (typical for children under 15 years).
Prolonged pyelonephritis can cause serious complications in all renal structures, often causing chronic renal failure.
Manifestations of osteochondrosis
The development of osteochondrosis, a pathological change in the bone and cartilage tissue in the intervertebral discs of any localization, can contribute to the occurrence of “recumbent” back pain. The disease is common among dystrophic tissue changes in the axial skeleton.
Lower back pain on the background of osteochondrosis is associated with irritation of the nerve roots located inside the spinal column. Pain with osteochondrosis may be as follows:
- shooting (sharp, long shooting),
- deep, long, pulling,
- sharp shooting with irradiation of the lower limbs.
Pains may increase at night, especially at the time of turning from side to side. Soreness increases with sleep on a soft bed, with sudden involuntary movements. Additionally, patients note a decrease in sensitivity in the back area, the appearance of muscle weakness, a change in conditioned reflex reactions, a burning sensation, tingling, or complete numbness.
The disease refers to vertebral conditions, which are characterized by night dorsalgia, otherwise referred to as ankylosing spondylitis. Pathology is autoimmune in nature, occurs on the joints of the spine or the sacroiliac joints.
With ankylosing spondylitis, there is pain in the back lying on the back, mostly at night. Any movements facilitate the patient's condition. Additional symptoms are:
- limitation of articular mobility
- stiffness in the lumbar spine,
- curvature of the vertical axis of the spine as a scoliosis,
- reduced growth
- forced posture for back pain.
Ankylosing spondylitis may occur in patients of any age, depending on the patient's clinical history and other predisposing factors.
Ulcerative lesions in the duodenum
A peptic ulcer in the duodenum is another cause of back pain. The appearance of pain lying down is associated with hunger pains, when the mucous membrane is exposed to the maximum and is exposed to damage to the gastric juice. Typical localization of pain - the area of the peritoneum, but given the anatomy of the intestine, they can give to the dorsal regions. Other symptoms are:
- appearance of persistent dyspeptic disorders,
- flatulence or bloating,
- sour belching
- breaking stool.
Usually, after taking antacids, the pain subsides. The lack of adequate therapy often leads to complications in the form of gastric or intestinal bleeding, perforation of the mucous membranes, and ozlokachestvleny mucous membranes of the intestine.
There are many reasons that can provoke the intensity of pain during a night's sleep on your back or lying down during the day. It is dangerous to ignore such manifestations due to the gradual progression of the disease and the development of serious complications, including disability.
Treatment and Prevention
Treatment begins with a thorough differential diagnosis to identify the underlying disease, which determines the appearance of pain.
During treatment, it is necessary to change the position of the body during sleep. To do this, get a hard orthopedic mattress, a pillow, lining under the back. During drug therapy, therapeutic physical training and massage are recommended. An active lifestyle is also an important aspect of successful recovery.
To relieve pain requires the appointment of painkillers (ointments, systemic drugs, liniments, balms), warming ointments, compresses with medical compounds. Often used some recipes of traditional medicine.
The prognosis for “recumbent” pains completely depends on the nature of the pathology, on the degree of development of dystrophic processes, and also on the root cause. Usually, with timely diagnosis and compliance with all medical recommendations there is a significant improvement in the patient’s quality of life, and the risks of disability are reduced.
Causes of spinal pain
There are 2 main types that affect the occurrence of "night" back pain lying on your back. The first and most common is the typical discomfort associated with the wrong choice of bed or prolonged physical exertion. The second - with more complex, serious diseases of internal organs, joints, bones. The first type does not apply to severe forms of the disease and everyone can get sick. The main reasons are:
- Severe fatigue associated with increased physical exertion throughout the day,
- Not properly chosen bed (too hard or soft mattress),
- Staying too low or lying down or not comfortable in a dream,
- Pregnancy in late periods.
In the second case, the presence of intense pain at night, speaks of serious violations that require immediate medical intervention, namely:
- Scoliosis, osteochondrosis, arthrosis in the later stages of the disease,
- Rheumatism / arthritis,
- Oncological diseases of the internal organs in the later stages,
- Infectious and viral diseases of the bone tissue and internal organs,
- Ankylosing spondylitis,
- Diseases of the urinary tract, liver of the heart and kidneys,
- Fractures of varying severity of the spine, pelvis and sacrum.
Pain sensations are divided into:
- "Dull" and slow back pain, indicating problems with the urinary system, also the congestion of the muscular system,
- Point pain syndrome - arthrosis or rheumatism,
- Particularly dangerous is severe shooting pain, accompanied by high body temperature, can talk about oncology of internal organs,
- Cramping soreness, pregnancy more often,
- Painful sensations "shooting" in the side, occur after a long lying in an uncomfortable position,
- If lying in the lower back hurts, and the pain is “shooting”, it can mean excessive exercise,
- If your back hurts at night, and sensations affect your lower limbs or buttocks, you can talk about rheumatism.
Why does back and loin hurt at night? Such symptoms can be a signal that there are chronic diseases in the human body that the person has not noticed for a long time. Patterns of diseases by painful sensations:
- Pain localization in the lumbar region can talk about problems of the pelvic organs (uterus for women) or fractures,
- Localization in the abdominal region, talks about possible violations in the internal organs of the gastrointestinal tract,
- Pain syndrome in the chest, talks about possible problems of the heart or lungs,
- In the cervical region - indicates arthrosis, scoliosis and other bone deformities.
Diagnosis of pain
The problem of painful sensations in the back is a vertebrologist! After listening to the patient's complaints and visual examination of the spine, using light massage movements, the vertebrologist will prescribe the following procedures:
- To exclude the disease of vertebral elements fracture, it will be necessary to undergo an x-ray,
- To diagnose the condition of the muscles, they will prescribe an MRI,
- Standard urine / blood tests will give a general picture of the presence of inflammatory processes and the condition of the urinary tract,
- To exclude pinching of the intervertebral nerve tissue, it will be necessary to consult a neurologist,
- Cardiogram to determine the work of cardiac activity *.
After going through all the above procedures, additional referrals to a gynecologist / gastroenterologist are possible, for the diagnosis of cancer.
Back pain treatment
The doctor prescribes treatment strictly individually, after passing all tests. The treatment of back pain is complex, which includes taking medication. Additionally, treatment and prophylactic therapy is prescribed, with the use of physical exercises to stretch the intervertebral disks and muscles, hirudotherapy, acupuncture, swimming and undergoing special massage courses. In addition to the procedures recommended by the doctor, it is necessary to take measures for the prevention of "spinal" diseases.
- We advise you to read: stretching the back for the prevention of spinal pain
Additional therapeutic and preventive measures include:
- Mandatory wearing a special pull-up corset,
- Complete elimination of physical activity,
- Reduced time spent in bed. Bed rest is prescribed only for complex diseases of the spine, such as a fracture.
Medical treatment includes the following drugs:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen or analgin),
- Anesthetic group (Nimesil, Solpadein, Spazmalgon),
- Multivitamin group of drugs
- Medications to maintain and strengthen the bone and cartilage belt, to maintain the overall tone of the spine.
In case of cancer, the patient is given a completely different treatment, including chemotherapeutic procedures.
Self-treatment is strictly prohibited, as the wrong dosage and medication can cause a deterioration of the body!
To prevent diseases of the spine and internal organs, you must adhere to the following recommendations:
- If possible, buy an orthopedic mattress and sleep on it, including a pillow,
- Follow the correct posture when walking and at the table,
- Do not overeat, keep the correct proportions of the body, prevent obesity,
- To walk in orthopedic shoes, excluding walking in high heels for more than 2 hours a day,
- When you move up a little squat, but do not bend over,
- Sign up for a group of yoga or other therapeutic exercises,
- Periodically change the position of the body and the load on the spine (shift from one foot to the other),
- Avoid long wearing uncomfortable shoes (high heels or narrow and tight shoes),
- Preventive nutrition from spinal problems, includes metered consumption of salt and food with a high percentage of minerals,
- Drink water only well filtered and of high quality.
- If possible, visit the massage room, to increase blood circulation and relieve muscle "clamps". Especially in the neck and shoulder area,
- Additionally, take multivitamin complexes to strengthen the bone and cartilage tissues and improve metabolism,
- Regular visits to the bath or sauna.
If you experience pain in the spine / back, it is better to seek help from doctors. This pain syndrome can foreshadow major diseases with serious consequences! The earlier treatment is started, the easier and more painless it will be to get rid of back pain.
Symptoms and treatment of chest sciatica
How to make injections for pain in the back and lower back?
How to wear a corset for the spine
Back aches when lying down: causes
Most often, back pain in the supine position arises due to the development of such diseases:
2. Sprains or muscles.
5. Dissection of the aorta.
7. Degenerative diseases of the vertebral discs.
8. Various viral lesions.
9. Infections in the spine.
13. Kidney stones.
14. Fracture of the pelvic bones.
16. Deformity or acquired spinal curvature (kyphosis).
17. Pinched intervertebral nerves.
18. Displacement of intervertebral discs.
In addition, pain in the back area can occur when an excessive load on the muscles and spine.
Sometimes these symptoms can signal the development of oncological pathologies of internal organs (kidney, heart or pancreas). In this case, the pain will only be given to the back, and concentrate in the abdomen or chest.
Pregnancy in the last stages of its course can cause aching pain in the lower back.This is due to the load that has to withstand the back of a woman when the size of the fetus is already quite large.
Back aches when lying down: symptoms
Back pain may have a different nature of its expression and location. Using these data, doctors can diagnose individual diseases.
Back pain can be:
1. Whining (may indicate excessive overload of the back muscles, as well as the development of kidney disease).
2. Pain in the back with a clear localization in one place (may indicate arthrosis or arthritis).
3. Pain, which is accompanied by high fever and depletion of the body (may indicate the development of cancer pathologies).
4. Painful sensations that occur at night.
5. Cramping pains with a certain localization.
6. Pain arising after a long lying and extending to the side.
7. The pain that occurs after lifting weights and increases in a dream.
8. Unpleasant sensations in the back, extending to the buttocks and legs.
9. Acute pain in which it is very difficult for a person to lie up straight after lying down (may indicate pinched nerve, as well as a curvature of the spine).
As a rule, back pain in the supine position are chronic, as people often do not pay attention to their occurrence in time. Over time, such sensations will be dulled, but this does not at all indicate that their cause has disappeared.
Back aches when lying down: diagnosis
The treatment of diseases that are associated with the back, is engaged in the spine doctor.
After examining a person and taking anamnesis, the doctor will prescribe such examinations:
1. Radiography of the spine (to exclude possible fractures).
2. MRI of the spine (will give a complete picture of the state of muscle tissue).
3. General blood and urine analysis to be able to obtain a general picture of the state of health, as well as to identify the inflammatory process.
4. Examination by a neurologist.
In order to exclude possible cancer pathologies, as well as diseases of internal organs, which can cause back pain, the following examinations are necessary:
• abdominal ultrasound,
• consultation with a gastroenterologist,
• examination by a proctologist, gynecologist (women) and urologist (men).
Sore back lying down: treatment
Treatment of back pain is carried out in a complex with the use of drug and physiotherapy therapy. In some cases (with the necessary indications), the patient may be given a massage, physiotherapy exercises, manual therapy or acupuncture.
The general course of treatment is selected for each patient individually, depending on his diagnosis, condition, age and associated diseases.
To relieve back pain you need:
• limit heavy physical activity that can put pressure on the spine,
• wear a special supporting corset,
• do not comply with bed rest, as it can contribute to the transition of acute pains to the chronic form (it is necessary to lie in bed only after a spinal fracture).
Drug therapy against back pain involves taking these groups of drugs:
1. Anti-inflammatory drugs (Diclofenac, Analgin). They can be in the form of tablets or creams.
2. Pain medication (Paracetamol, Nurofen).
3. Compresses with novocaine solution (to relieve sharp pains).
4. Antispasmodic drugs to eliminate muscle spasms (Tolperisone).
5. Chondroprotectors (to slow the destruction of cartilage tissue). Usually such drugs are prescribed for arthritis, arthrosis and osteochondrosis.
6. Vitamin complexes.
If back pain was caused by cancer pathology or a disease of internal organs, then the appropriate groups of drugs are prescribed to the patient and a separate treatment regimen is developed.
It is important to know that self-prescribing medicines cannot be used, as their inappropriate use (wrong group of the drug or dosage) can cause various side effects and a general deterioration in health.
Physiotherapy provides for such therapeutic procedures:
Also, the patient is recommended to engage in swimming.
Another effective treatment is acupuncture. It is aimed at reducing back pain and relieving muscle tension, which is often caused by the patient’s psychological state.
Despite the usefulness of such a procedure, it cannot be performed with such indications in a patient:
• during pregnancy,
• for acute respiratory diseases,
• in violation of blood clotting,
• in acute diseases of the kidneys and liver,
• with the development of cancer pathologies,
• in the period after surgery,
• in the presence of vascular or heart disease,
• when the patient is prone to bleeding.
Manual therapy is also very effective in eliminating back pain. It can only be prescribed by the attending physician after a thorough diagnosis of the patient. When properly performed, this therapy helps relieve back pain and relieve muscle tension.
It is important to know that this type of treatment is not advisable to carry out in such cases:
• in the period after a heart attack,
• for tuberculosis or other serious infectious diseases,
• with hernia of intervertebral discs,
• in violation of blood clotting,
• elderly people
• at diseases of vessels.
If you perform manual therapy to a patient with the above listed contraindications, this can lead to serious complications in his condition.
Pain in the supine position: prevention
In order to minimize the risk of back pain, you should follow these recommendations:
1. Sleep on an elastic orthopedic mattress and the same pillow (it is desirable to learn how to sleep at all without a pillow).
2. Maintain an even posture while sitting at the table, as well as walking.
3. Eat properly, maintaining a stable weight.
4. To walk in heels for no more than two hours in a row. Most shoes should be flat.
5. When staying in a standing position for a long time, it is imperative to find a fulcrum for the elbow, shoulders, or arms in order to relieve some pressure on the body and spine.
6. When lifting something you need to squat, not lean.
7. Avoid sudden movements and turns, so as not to damage the muscles of the spine.
8. Engage in physical activity to strengthen the muscles of the body. It is best suited for this purpose physical therapy, swimming, yoga, jogging and fitness.
9. Avoid hypothermia and drafts that can “blow through” back muscles and cause pain in them.
10. With daily work at the computer, it is necessary to take frequent breaks and knead the back, arms, neck and shoulders.
11. Try not to stay in one position for more than an hour.
Physiological causes of pain when lying on your back
Almost every person in his life at least once experienced back pain in the prone position. This does not mean that he develops a disease. The reason for this condition are often the following factors:
- Excessive physical activity.
- Uncomfortable posture for lying down. Back pain after sleep is a fairly common symptom when the body is not properly positioned during rest.
- Overwork or long stay in a horizontal position.
These reasons are easily established and eliminated. The result is a back without pain. The absence of pathology is indicated by the episodicity of the pain syndrome and its low intensity, as well as a clearly traceable connection with the violation of occupational health or rest.
Pathological causes of pain
Chronic or high-intensity pain syndrome may indicate the development of the disease. There are many pathologies that provoke pain.
Aching back pain even in the supine position can be caused by ankylosing spondylitis (ankylosing spondylitis). Pathology is also accompanied by spinal deformity.
Chronic back pain lying down is one of the symptoms of osteochondrosis, degenerative processes of intervertebral discs, muscle lesions or ligaments.
If the back pain gives in the right leg or the left , it is logical to think about pinching or damage of the sciatic nerve, intervertebral hernia in the lumbar spine, stenosis of the spinal canal.
In addition to diseases of the musculoskeletal system an unpleasant symptom in the prone position can be triggered by diseases of the internal organs. When back pain gives in the right side, it is worth thinking about cholecystitis or gastric ulcer. The pain in the right hypochondrium behind the back often indicates acute pancreatitis. In women, this symptom sometimes accompanies inflammatory diseases of the ovaries.
Pain and pain relief
Obviously, there are quite a few reasons for the occurrence of the corresponding symptom. Effective anesthesia largely depends on the qualitative diagnosis of the main provoking factor.
Patients often ask their doctor what to do with back pain. For pain relief are most often used:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, paracetamol and others).
- Antispasmodics (drotaverine, papaverine).
- Narcotic analgesics (in case of serious injuries or oncological processes).
In addition to medical treatment, manual therapy, various types of massage, and acupuncture are widely used. One of the effective treatments for pain is physiotherapy. It is proved that the influence of electric current, ultrasound or magnetic field has a positive effect on reducing the severity of pain.
The device "Mercury"
"Mercury" is a compact physiotherapeutic device, suitable for both home use and for use in health care settings.
It is able to generate electrical impulses of a given force. It establishes different modes of exposure on the human body for the selection of the most appropriate type of physiotherapeutic effect.
The use of the apparatus "Mercury" allows you to:
- to be treated without constant cash costs,
- to be treated safely, without side effects,
- eliminate pain as it occurs, without a visit to the doctor (assuming the diagnosis has already been established),
- eliminate pain at any time of the day, without leaving home,
- reduce the dosage of painkillers or completely abandon them.
It is desirable to use "Mercury" in combination with other therapeutic methods to achieve a quick and high-quality result.
Why does your back hurt when you lie down?
Most often, back pain is considered a symptom of spinal disease. The back can ache after a strong load on the spine and muscles. Also, back pain lying on the back, can appear on the background of various diseases:
- stretching muscles and ligaments,
- aortic dissection,
- kidney stones
- diseases (degenerative) of the vertebral discs,
- infections in the spine,
- a variety of viral lesions
- pinching of the intervertebral nerves,
- pelvic fractures,
- intervertebral disc displacement,
- spinal deformities and curvatures.
Sometimes painful symptoms can talk about the oncological process in the pancreas, heart or kidneys. With such pathologies, the pain is given in the back, while they themselves are located in the chest or abdomen.
In women, back pain may be present during pregnancy in the last periods due to the load on the back when carrying the grown fetus.
Back pain in the prone position is usually chronic, as patients do not promptly pay attention to its appearance. After some time, the pain may dull, but the cause of its appearance while not independently eliminated.
Night back pain in the prone position is due to too hard a bed, an uncomfortable position during sleep or physical overload.
But there are cases when the pain is present both day and night, while the pain in the back when you are lying does not go away. Such pains may indicate the presence of diseases of internal organs, rheumatoid arthritis or arthrosis.
If the pains are nagging and seize the lumbar region, then kidney pathology, colitis, gynecological diseases, diverticulitis, prostate problems and others may be suspected. Pain in the lower back with these pathologies will be accompanied by other clinical manifestations characteristic of a particular disease.
Sometimes, the patient may complain that his back aches, this is due to the immobility and merging of the vertebrae. In this case, depending on the reasons, the patient may feel pain in the right side, between the shoulder blades, or pain in the left side, which brings not only discomfort, but also limited mobility. When lying down, the condition rarely improves, leading the patient to a specialist to identify the reasons why he has pain in the back area.
Diseases of the back are treated by a vertebrologist, who takes anamnesis and conducts an examination. Then, a series of studies can be assigned:
- Spinal x-ray,
- OAM, UAC (to identify the inflammatory process in the body),
- Reception of the neurologist
- MRI (to detect the state of muscle tissue).
To exclude the oncological process and diseases of the internal organs, additional research is needed:
- Abdominal ultrasound,
- Reception of the gastroenterologist,
- Examination by proctologist,
- Examination by andrologist or gynecologist.
Common causes of back pain:
- Physical daily activity and overload
- Inconvenient posture in a dream
- Too hard to sleep
- Constant lying position
Such problems can be eliminated with the help of:
- Orthopedic mattress and pillow
- Daily morning gymnastics for the back
- Back massage:
A Lyapko or Kuznetsov applicator can also be used as a massager.
- Sports and outdoor activities
The appearance of nocturnal back pain is also explained by the work of the human parasympathetic nervous system, which inhibits the work of internal organs at night. The adrenal glands produce fewer corticosteroids - hormones of anti-inflammatory analgesic action. Therefore, any "unnoticed" daytime pain is in the habit of activating
When lying painful is severe
The second option. The pain does not let go either day or night and does not pass in the prone position
This situation is less favorable, as it can speak about serious urgent problems and neglected diseases.:
- Internal diseases
- Ankylosing spondylitis (ankylosing spondylitis)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Deforming arthrosis of the third or fourth stage
How to determine what caused the pain symptom in the prone position?
Diseases of the internal organs
The pain in the upper thoracic back is triggered by:
- Heart and respiratory diseases
- Lung cancer
Differentiate it from chest osteochondrosis can be:
- Removing ECG
- After listening to the breath
- Having a radiography
- Having done a complete blood count
Pain symptoms are combined with:
- Arrhythmia, pulse change
- Increased leukocytes (leukocytosis) - with pneumonia, pleurisy or bronchitis
- Decrease of leukocytes (leukopenia) - in lung cancer
Painful symptoms in the back - lower region of the thoracic and upper lumbar spine cause:
- Gastric and duodenal ulcer (sore in the middle part, left and right, and even gives to the heart region)
- Tumors of the posterior wall of the stomach, retroperitoneal space, and 12 duodenal ulcer
- Pancreatitis (gives shingles):
- in the back and chest on the right and under the ribs - with inflammation of the pancreatic head
- left - with inflammation of the body of the pancreas and its tail
- Cholecystitis (hurts more under the ribs and in the right side)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Heartburn, bloating
- Change in taste preferences, etc.
Back pains in the lumbar and sacral areas talk about:
- Renal pathologies (kidney disease, nephritis, tumors)
- Gynecological female diseases
- Prostate problems, etc.
When backache hurts, these specific symptoms can help clarify the picture:
- Burning, unpleasant soreness during or after urination
- Wandering nature of pain caused by the progress of the stone
- Turbidity of urine, change in its color, the presence of blood in it
- Constipation and frustration
- Pulling or sharp lower abdominal pain and other symptoms
Another systemic disease is rheumatoid arthritis.
Unlike ankylosing spondylitis, rheumatoid arthritis often affects young and middle-aged women.
Pathology first destroys the small joints of the limbs, and then larger ones are involved, including the vertebral ones.
The features of this disease that relate to it with deforming arthrosis:
- Morning stiffness and joint pain
- Reduced mobility
- Muscular atrophy
- Curvature and Warp
But unlike arthrosis, rheumatoid arthritis affects the internal organs:
- Heart and lungs, gastrointestinal tract, kidneys
- Anemia and dry skin appear
- Affected blood vessels, vision, nervous system
Although most of the back pain in the prone position occurs due to stagnation, they can still be a warning sign.
It can cope with the problem in this case only by eliminating the disease that caused it..
Every person at least once in his life faced a problem when his back hurts in the lumbar region. This symptom often appears during prolonged sitting in an uncomfortable position. Pain is safe for health and goes away after a good rest.
Treatment can be prescribed only after a complete diagnosis and determine the cause and nature of the disease. No action can be done independently without a medical examination.
Variety of reasons
The most common causes that lead to pain syndrome: osteochondrosis, scoliosis, herniated intervertebral discs. Tumors and infectious tissue lesions are much less common.
Depending on the disease, the pain manifests itself in different ways. If the cause of pain is renal colic or a stomach ulcer, then the sensations are constant regardless of the nature of the activity (the person is lying down or is busy with vigorous activity).
If there is osteochondrosis of the thoracic region, then the pain gives in the heart, then the patient mistakenly believes that he has angina.
If the loin is sore when lying down
When pain appears and the person does not know what to do with it, he prefers to lie down, hoping that the discomfort will pass. But if the pain increases in the prone position, then most likely there is a disease of the musculoskeletal system, which is called ankylosing spondylitis.
The disease affects young men, changes occur in the vertebrae and they grow together, while the flexibility of the spine decreases.
Due to the fact that the spine cannot assume the natural position, a person in the prone position feels pain.
Bechterew's disease is inherited; chronic infectious diseases give rise to development. The pain increases if you lead a sedentary lifestyle.
The first sign is a feeling of stiffness in the spine, and also if the pain in the lower back is worse. Early diagnosis can completely cure the disease.
Primary pain syndrome
Doctors share primary and secondary pain syndromes when it comes to back pain and lower back pain.
Primary lumbar pain syndrome involves musculoskeletal changes that are morphofunctional in nature.
These include the most common causes of pain:
- osteochondrosis (damage to bone and cartilage tissue, intervertebral disk),
- spondyloprotrosis (damage to the intervertebral joints that affect spinal mobility).
Secondary pain syndrome
The secondary syndrome includes a greater variety of diseases that cause back pain in the lumbar region:
- scoliosis (curvature of the spine),
- reflected pain
- osteoporosis and osteomalacia (damage to campfire tissue),
- ankylosing spondylitis (inflammation of a non-infectious nature),
- rheumatoid arthritis,
- isolated tumor or formed metastases,
- tuberculosis, epidural abscess, brucellosis (infectious diseases),
- stroke, which leads to a violation of the cerebrospinal circulation,
- gastrointestinal tract diseases (in particular, appendicitis or intestinal diseases),
- pelvic diseases (renal colic, venereal diseases),
- fracture of the spinal vertebrae (the most dangerous and serious cause).
Low back pain is also divided into acute and chronic. Each of them points to individual causes.
Not dangerous, but painful manifestation of acute pain is muscle strain. It occurs due to the formation of spasms in the long muscles.
Most often, the problem is affected by sportsmen and working people. The pain is localized in the lower back, but is clearly felt in other parts of the body, the mobility of the person is limited, the pain subsides.
Spinal injuries also lead to acute pain. The most dangerous injury is a fracture of the spine.
Fracture can be caused by a fall, or it can occur completely unnoticed, for example, if a person suffers from Paget's disease, osteoporosis, hyperparathyroidism or he has a tumor.
Displacement of intervertebral discs in the lumbar region also leads to pain. In this case, the mobility of the person will be severely limited.
The pain itself is caused by compression of the nerve roots. Additional symptoms:
- sensitivity impairment
- decrease or complete absence of Achilles and knee reflexes,
- radicular pain.
The displacement of the vertebrae can lead to the pathology of nearby, who until the last were healthy. Violations of the lower vertebrae lead to diseases of the bladder and intestines.
Another cause of acute pain is facet syndrome. At the same time, the intervertebral disk is not affected; only the spine is compressed, which leaves the spinal canal. The intervertebral foramen narrows due to the narrowing of the intervertebral foramen.
Such a serious disease as an epidural abscess can also lead to pain. What then do?
It is impossible to delay the disease, as it can lead to tragic consequences. It is necessary to immediately take all measures to eliminate the compression of the spinal cord, sometimes surgery is required.
In the region, from the waist, to the knees, can give pain caused by diseases of the hip joint.
If the back is ill in the lumbar region and the pain is present all the time, it is aching or pulling in nature, then this indicates other diseases than with acute pain.
The first reason is spondylosis deformans. Lumbar vertebrae undergo dystrophic changes, ligaments weaken, bone growth begins.
As a result, bone outgrowths begin to put pressure on the nerve roots and there is aching pain. Symptoms may include numbness and weakness in the legs, etc.
Chronic low back pain can be caused by cancer or metabolic disorders.
In this case, it is necessary to do antitumor therapy, change the mode of the day and nutrition, to eliminate the root cause, everything else will be ineffective.
Another reason is osteomyelitis, when the infection penetrates into the bone and causes inflammatory processes.
Diseases leading to lower back pain
Other conditions that cause lumbar pain
- facet arthropathy,
- spinal canal stenosis,
- disk hernia,
- myogenic pain
- fibrous ring rupture.
In women, pain can be triggered by pelvic diseases, such as endometriosis, carcinoma of the uterus and ovaries. In men, prostatitis or prostate carcinoma.
Sick kidneys, a tumor in the stomach, duodenum can also be given to the lumbar region. The pain occurs with ulcerative colitis, colon cancer, diverticulitis.
If the pain extends not only to the lumbar but also to the thoracic region, then it is important to exclude the likelihood of aortic dissection.
Innocuous causes may be physiological changes, for example, the postpartum period or abrupt weight gain, the effect of epidural anesthesia.
The treatment of such pain is not carried out, the patient can do nothing, the pain will pass by itself after a certain time.
Before you begin treatment, you need to properly diagnose. First, the doctor conducts a clinical examination of the patient, then relies on the results of ultrasound and MRI examinations.
Based on the diagnosis, the treatment program is already selected, combining various methods.
First of all, the treatment is aimed at eliminating the pain syndrome in order to return the patient to a comfortable life. After all, the complete cure of the disease (if it is possible) can last for years.
If the cause of the disease was bruised, then the treatment will be carried out by a traumatologist. Depending on the cause of the pain, which the therapist / family doctor must identify, the orthopedist, nephrologist, urologist, proctologist, gynecologist, cardiologist, gastroenterologist, pulmonologist, infectious disease specialist, etc. can conduct a further medical history.
Previously, treatment of low back pain was performed exclusively with antibiotics. Now there are so many methods for treatment that only an experienced doctor will help you find the right one.
To alleviate the patient's condition, it is recommended to change the mattress to orthopedic. Pain relieve painkillers heating ointments and gels, which additionally contain anti-inflammatory components.
It is also advisable to use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Muscle spasms will relieve muscle relaxants, swelling of the nerve root will eliminate diuretics and vascular agents.
When the patient is able to return to a normal lifestyle, treatment continues with the help of physiotherapy, massage and therapeutic exercises.
The treatment is carried out using the following non-drug methods:
- vacuum therapy
- laser therapy
- manual therapy
- dry traction
This treatment provides quick pain relief, as well as eliminates the cause, thus ensuring a long-term result.
Lower back pain when standing, sitting or lying downThey appear with the inability of the spine to withstand daily exertion and often point to diseases of the spine. The treatment of diseases associated with pain in the lower back is made by the vertebrologist.
In the clinic of Dr. Ignatiev, qualified specialists help patients. Reception of the spine is carried out by appointment.
According to statistics, every second adult on the planet experienced at least once in a lifetime spinal pain. The lion's share of recipients felt pain precisely in the lower back, since this is the most vulnerable spot in the entire spine. If pain occurs not only during exertion and sudden movements, but also while lying, sitting and standing, it requires immediate treatment.
Pain may be disturbed while standing, lying or sitting.
Lower back pain when sitting, sitting position ↑
When a person is sitting, he increases the load on the spine dozens of times. It is not strange, but it is sitting it is the highest. Many office workers spend many hours in this position without interruptions, which causes metabolic disorders in the intervertebral discs and their injury. If you have lower back pain, you need to adjust the seat to a reclining position, raise the monitor higher
Lower back pain when standing, walking ↑
No one is immune from such symptoms, but according to statistics, it is the artist, the military, and the lecturers most often experience such pain. Those whose work is associated with prolonged stationary standing or walking should determine the cause of the symptoms. Such manifestations appear during spondylolysis, fractures of the spinous processes, followed by spondylolisthesis. Sometimes this is a manifestation of nonverting vertebrae. When standing, the vertebrae cannot hold each other, and their sliding occurs with further squeezing of the nerve fibers. Almost always surgical treatment.
But fortunately, such problems are not as common, and intervertebral hernia is much more common and can be successfully treated. But the severity of the symptom should not be underestimated.
Lower back pain while lying down положении
In a horizontal position, the body is more difficult to control metabolic processes due to the long stationary position. Since the lower back should have a physiological deflection forward (lordosis), it must be maintained in any position. Lying on your back the lower back should be supported by the convex part of the mattress, a hard bed is contraindicated here. At the same time, thin man lying on your stomach must also maintain the correct physiology of the spine. It should be remembered that the first orthopedic mattress that came across is not always suitable for such patients.
The aching back pain often indicates a chronic overload of the facet joints, a metabolic disorder in them and the development of such a diagnosis as lumbar spondyloarthrosis. Kidney disease should be excluded, since it is in this position that it is the most difficult for them to perform their functions. Full article about pain in the spine at night.
Causes of back pain when standing, sitting or lying down ↑
Symptoms with stress and special body positions in 90% of cases appear with damage to the nervous system or degenerative-dystrophic processes in the spine. The diagnosis can be confirmed by the results of magnetic resonance tomography of the lumbar spinal bones, less frequently CT or X-rays (uninformative) are used. Pain in the lumbar region may indicate the following diseases:
- Intervertebral hernia of the lumbar spine (l1-l5, l5-S1), rupture of the fibrous ring of the intervertebral disc.
- The displacement of the roots and their squeezing.
- Osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine.
- Deformity and curvature of the spine such as scoliosis or kyphosis.
You should always exclude other diseases that can cause similar symptoms. First of all, these are diseases of internal organs (digestive tract organs, kidneys, liver), post-traumatic conditions (fractures of ribs, vertebrae, ruptures of ligaments and muscles), systemic diseases (rheumatism, arthritis, etc.) and some others. To do this, patients are recommended to first pass the KLA, OAM, tests for rheumatoid factor, pass an ultrasound of the internal organs. You may need examinations of the proctologist, urologist, women - gynecologist, gastroenterologist, immunologist and some others.
The main symptoms include pain of different intensity and nature. The pain can be dull and disturb after sleep or after prolonged standing. Also, the pain can not stop regardless of the position.She may have the nature of attacks, while being strong and acute. To exclude all diseases and to stop on the only correct reason for pain in the lumbar spine, it is necessary to conduct a differentiated diagnosis. This method of diagnosis eliminates its fallacy and allows you to detect related problems, to subsequently eliminate them.
Frequent complaints of patients with pain in different positions of the body:
- There was a strong pulling back pain lying on his back. After an MRI scan, a protrusion of the lumbar L5-S1 was found,
- After a long standing, the loins at the base of the sacrum begin to ache and give one way. It hurts to tilt your head forward, take a deep breath,
- It is worth a little sit and instantly hurt the loin in the buttock area, gives up in the leg, loin becomes numb,
- Lying on the right / left side - gives back, aching pain,
- It is impossible to sleep at night from the pain, as the lower back constantly whines in the supine position. Why lying on my stomach - the back does not hurt.
- Working at the computer, begins to hurt while sitting, the pain increases with time, then it is difficult to unbend from the pain, bending forward, you need to walk a bit,
- 5 years already as the waist loses pain. I changed the mattress to a tougher one, but it got worse, I am constantly tormented.
- After sitting I can not straighten myself for a long time, it hurts with one hand, gives to my side.
Treatment of lower back pain in certain body positions ↑
Specialists of the clinic provide high-quality and high-class treatment of back problems, in particular, with the lower back.
If the patient asked for help in a timely manner, treatment with conservative methods is possible. These include
and spinal traction, as well as acupuncture, physical therapy, hydromassage and others. If the disease was triggered, it may require medical treatment and even surgery.
The main goal of the whole complex of treatment is to eliminate the cause of the pain, that is, the disease.
To do this, experts conduct ultrasound, MRI, CT, as well as all the necessary tests. This helps to adjust the treatment program and achieve the best result. It is possible to undergo examination and treatment in the Clinic of Dr. Ignatiev in Kiev by appointment.
The most relevant topics:
- Causes of disc protrusion
- Treatment of kyphosis (Kiev)
- Headache Diagnosis
- The best doctors in the treatment of intervertebral hernia
Sign up for a consultation at the Doctor Ignatiev Clinic by phone: +38 (044) 227-22-01 + 7 (969) 049-25-06 + 34 684 344 499
- Pain in the lower back is often combined with reflected pain in the ...
- Lower back pain when breathing or coughing is a symptom ...
- Pain in the lower back and side, hypochondrium - these are frequent complaints ...
Lying back pain may indicate diseases of the internal organs. The appearance of pain in the lumbar region at night during sleep can be caused by a spinal cord lesion in ankylosing spondylitis (ankylosing spondyloarthritis). In any case, pain in the back lying requires urgent treatment to the doctor.
Usually, in case of diseases of the internal organs, there is a pulling back pain that extends to those segments of the spinal cord that innervate the affected organ:
- pain in the sacral region occurs in the pathology of the pelvic organs,
- in the lower back - with diseases of the lower abdominal organs,
- in the lower part of the thoracic spine - with the pathology of the organs of the upper half of the abdominal cavity.
The pain associated with diseases of the internal organs usually does not affect the movement of the spine, nor does it cause muscle rigidity. Such pain does not pass in the supine position, however, its intensity may change when the work of the internal organs, in which the pathological process is located (with intestinal peristalsis, urination, etc.), changes. Often there are symptoms from the affected organ, such as bloating, nausea, and vomiting , frequent urination with cutting when moving salt crystals or small stones along the ureter. When a stomach ulcer patients complain of heartburn, nausea, vomiting, which usually do not occur with radiculitis.
Pain in the lower thoracic or upper lumbar back may be caused by an ulcer or a tumor of the posterior wall of the stomach or duodenum, especially when the process spreads beyond the peritoneum. When an ulcer pain may be associated with a meal (occurs after a few after a meal or passes after a meal).
In diseases of the pancreas (pancreatitis, cysts, tumors), the pain may be more pronounced to the right of the spine in case of a pathology in the head of the gland or to the left with damage to its body or tail.
In the lower back pain in inflammatory diseases of the female genital organs, colitis, diverticulitis, kidney disease, urolithiasis, and prostate cancer metastases in the lower part of the spine.
Sudden back pain in a patient taking anticoagulant drugs may indicate retroperitoneal bleeding.
In ankylosing spondylitis, back pain occurs due to an inflammatory process against the background of an attack of immune cells on intervertebral discs, ligaments and tendons of the joints. Inflammation ends with the replacement of elastic tissue with bone tissue, which leads to impaired mobility of the spine and joints.
Pain on the right side of the back
Very many who suffer from chronically pain, try to drown them with spasmolytics or special ointments. This should not be done in any case, as in most cases, what seemed to be a simple cold or trauma may be indirect signs of much more terrible diseases.
If the loin is hurting while lying on the back, this may be a concern for the spine. But it can also be caused by diseases of the internal organs, especially the digestive tract. Most likely - diseases or injuries of the spine, back muscles. To understand this, find out the causes of discomfort, it is necessary to consult a doctor. To relieve symptoms, it is usually sufficient to fully relax. But it also happens that in a prone position, the painful condition does not pass, but on the contrary, increases.
Nightly back pain causes a sedentary lifestyle, as well as excess weight, various negative factors and some diseases:
- scoliosis, osteochondrosis,
- oncology of internal organs, spinal cord,
- ankylosing spondylitis,
- fractures in the pelvic region,
- diseases of the kidneys, heart,
- various back injuries
- an infection in the spine.
If muscles are overwhelmed or there are problems in the urogenital system, the nature of the pain is aching and slow. Pain point, indicates rheumatism. When pregnancy pains cramping. Long lying in an uncomfortable position causes shooting pain. The same nature of pain in the prone position on the stomach indicates excessive physical exertion of the body.
Pains can be different in strength (mild, moderate, intense), in localization (on one or both sides, up or down the back), in time (short or long), in nature:
- Lumbago - a sudden sudden pain in a prone position, like a backache. May last a long period of time, disturb during sleep. Strengthens at inclinations, rotations, does not allow to be unbent. Patients also feel numbness, tingling, and burning.
- Lumbodynia - aching pain. Develop gradually, at certain time intervals after exercise.
Diseases of the spine manifest immediately or are in the body for a long time without showing themselves in any way. Decreases when changing the position of the body, after a massage or taking medicines.
When the interstitial discs are displaced and the spine is bent (scoliosis and other growth disorders), back pain may also occur.
Three-dimensional spinal deformity. Early asymptomatic. Heavy forms are noted:
- Reduced range of motion. The curvature of the spinal trunk increases its stiffness, reducing flexibility when walking.
- If the curvature is severe, the muscles are prone to spasms, which leads to pain.
- The thorax is displaced, the space for the lungs is deformed, which leads to difficulty breathing.
The most common cause of pain in the lumbar region. Intervertebral discs become less elastic and durable. It occurs during the day, but especially at night. Painful, pulling, prolonged, can be short-lived, sharp and sharp. In addition, the patient feels a burning sensation, tingling, numbness. Sometimes the symptoms go down in the limbs. During the day, after a long sitting or sudden movements, the symptoms may worsen. The defeat of the lumbosacral spine destroys the digestive and reproductive functions of the body.
Common causes of back pain include pyelonephritis, an inflammatory process in the kidneys that is stronger at night than during the day. From the previous disease is somewhat different: urination occurs more often, there is turbidity of urine. The symptoms of this disease may be associated with fever, headache, weakness, malaise. The pain is aggravated by strong shaking, deep breath, cycling and riding a horse. If treatment is ignored, renal failure may develop.
Description of the problem
Back pain when lying on your back is a painful sensation that can be localized in any part of the spine. They do not depend on the movements of the person and do not affect the mobility of the muscles.
This symptom may manifest itself in various functional disorders of organs or systems, it does not pass in the supine position and may increase depending on the work of the affected structures. Usually, pain is accompanied by other signs that may indicate the nature of the pathology.
In medicine, there are such types of back pain:
- Local pain syndrome may occur due to any abnormal process that affects the nerves. Such sensations are always observed, but may disappear during movement. They can be sharp or dull and are always felt in the area of the back that is affected.
- Radicular pain extends around the periphery, it can have greater intensity. It occurs due to the curvature or stretching of the spinal nerve, extends from the center of the back to the lower limb. When coughing or sneezing, as well as during movements, pain increases.
- Reflected pain may be reflected from the spine to the lumbar region and sacrum, as well as to these areas from the internal organs. With the defeat of the pelvis and peritoneum, the pain does not disappear when a person moves, as well as in a lying position, the sensations change depending on the change in the state of the affected organs.
- Myofascial pain occurs due to muscle spasms. If muscle spasms are chronic, aching or convulsive back pain occurs when you lie on your back, which gives to the buttocks and the sacrum.
Causes of pain in the supine position
Night back pain in the prone position develops for two main reasons:
- Discomfort when a poorly chosen place to sleep or because of power loads for a long period of time. In this case, the pathology of internal organs, bones or joints are absent. Pain can occur as a result of severe fatigue, prolonged stay in one position or uncomfortable posture, as well as due to late pregnancy.
- Pain in the back while lying down at night due to the presence of various disorders: scoliosis, arthritis, cancer, infectious and viral diseases of the bones or organs, Bechterew's syndrome, spinal fractures and others.
Pain can be of a different nature:
- Aching pain in the lumbar spine may indicate pathologies of the genitourinary or muscular system,
- Point pain indicates the development of rheumatism,
- Shooting pains of great strength, which are accompanied by an increase in body temperature, may indicate a cancerous growth,
- When pregnancy occurs cramping pain,
- Shooting pains in the supine position talk about large power loads,
- With the spread of pain on the limbs or buttocks argue about the development of rheumatism.
Pain syndrome in different parts of the ridge
When the back hurts while lying down, doctors recommend paying attention to their location. Lumbar discomfort may indicate problems with the pelvic organs, the development of urolithiasis, fractures, metastasis of cancer, or pathology of the uterus in women.
In the thoracic region, pathologies of the heart and lungs, organs of the gastrointestinal tract can cause discomfort, and in the cervical arthrosis, scoliosis, and other diseases of the bone tissue.
Usually, in case of diseases of the internal organs, the pain sensations are not associated with the movement of the spinal column, muscle stiffness also does not develop. In the supine position, discomfort does not pass, but its intensity depends on changes in the activity of the affected organs. Often pains are accompanied by other symptoms, such as nausea, frequent urination, and so on.
Causes of illness associated with spinal pathology
Back pain when lying on your back can also occur in pathologies of the spinal column:
- Ankylosing spondylitis is a disease of the joints and spinal cord of an inflammatory nature, characterized by the appearance of pain at night and stiffness in the morning. When a person wakes up, his body is constrained, so it takes him some time to “disperse.” As the disease progresses, the joints begin to merge with each other, the posture is disturbed.
- Arthrosis in the third and fourth stage is caused by the appearance of persistent pain in the back, which does not go away even during sleep. The appearance of meteosensitivity, restriction of movements is also observed. In advanced cases, pathology leads to disability.
- Rheumatoid arthritis, which begins to develop in the limbs, and then goes to the spine. In this case, the discomfort appears not only at night, but also the back hurts in the morning when lying down. At the same time, muscle tissue atrophies, the spine deforms, and vital organs are affected.
Note! Typically, back pain when lying on your back is chronic, because people do not react in a timely manner to their occurrence and do not eliminate the cause of their development. After some time, negative feelings may disappear and then reappear.
If you experience discomfort and discomfort in the back, you should be examined by a vertebrologist.
First, the doctor will study the history of the disease, will examine the spinal column and its palpation. Then he prescribes the following diagnostic methods:
- X-ray to exclude fracture of vertebral structures
- MRI to study muscle tissue
- Laboratory tests of blood and urine to detect inflammation and determine the condition of the urogenital system,
- Consultation with a neurologist to avoid pinching nerves
- Cardiogram to study the state of the heart.
Additionally, the doctor may prescribe a consultation with a gynecologist, proctologist, gastroenterologist or oncologist.
After making an accurate diagnosis, the doctor prescribes an individual complex treatment. As a medication, anti-inflammatory and anesthetic drugs are used, for example, Analgin and Spazmolgon, multivitamins, as well as drugs whose action is aimed at strengthening the bones and cartilage, maintaining the tone of the body.
If an oncological disease is detected, the oncologist develops a treatment strategy, which includes chemotherapy.
Also appointed physiotherapy, exercise therapy, acupuncture, massage and swimming, hirudotherapy. The doctor can prescribe wearing a corset, the exclusion of any power loads, moderate physical activity. In the presence of fractures attributed to bed rest.
Prognosis and prevention
The prognosis of the disease will depend on the cause of its occurrence and the effectiveness of the therapy. In order to prevent physicians recommend to adhere to several rules:
- Use orthopedic mattresses during sleep,
- Watch your posture and weight,
- To wear comfortable shoes, women need to walk on their heels no more than two hours a day,
- Do not make sharp movements and turns,
- From time to time to change the load on the ridge,
- Consume less salt and minerals,
- Drink clean water
- Periodically take massage courses,
- Periodically apply multivitamins,
- Regularly visit the pool,
- If you experience unpleasant symptoms, you should consult a doctor for examination.